Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat lamps during summer

jaydoza

Default heat lamps during summer

i just bought my pac man frog yesterday , i have both a day and night lamp running.
    todays weather is gonna be a little too hot, its going to reach 86f. my frog is in my garage and it gets bad in there.
    i was wondering do i really need a heat lamp?

also how do i tell if its a boy or girl?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: heat lamps during summer

You can tell if its a boy or girl around three inches snout to vent. It will get little moles called nuptials pads on thier thumbs. Here is a pic.

Day time temps should be 82-84 max inside the enclosure and night time 77-78. You should probably move the frog inside.

jaydoza

so do boys have nuptials pads on thier thumbs or do girls?

also about the my heat lamp, is it necessary ? its going to be really got today where i live

Pad are on boys sorry. The temps need to be at what I provided up top. What are you using to monitor heat and humidity in the enclosure? If your garage is anything like mine its entirely too hot in there for your frog with or without lamps.

jaydoza

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Pad are on boys sorry. The temps need to be at what I provided up top. What are you using to monitor heat and humidity in the enclosure? If your garage is anything like mine its entirely too hot in there for your frog with or without lamps.
    oh ok cool imma get him after work, i use a thermometer. i live in california so it shold be that bad, im going to tell my gf to shut off that lamp for today and i see how im going to rearrange my my room for my frog, til summer ends and it isnt so hot

Kk go ahead and fill these questions out and we can make sure you have a proper set up enclosure from the start. Proper husbandry is very important for these frogs. They are very sensitive to thier environments.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

jaydoza

1. 10gal
    2. 1 pac man frog, size of a silver dallor
    3. idk
    4. idk
    5. sink water with dechlorinator
    6. coconut fiber
    7. water bowl and rock cave.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.????
    8. crickets and mealworms
    9. calcium with crickets
    10. day and night lamp
    11. idk
    12. idk, bouht the frog last night
    13. nope
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. idk
    16. 1 day
    17. captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. havent handled him yet
    20. low traffic
    21. twice a week , idk yet Name:  IMG_20130827_221258.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  82.7 KB

1. For the size of your frog the 10gallon is too big. Get a small or medium critter carrier and cover three sides.
    3. Humidity needs to be around 80 percent at all times.
    4. Day time temps need to be 82-84 degrees and night time temps should be 77-78. You can get a digital temp/humidity reader with a probe for real cheap. Dont get the analog ones.
    8. Meal worns are a nogo. They can cause impaction. Nightcrawlers are the best staple food. Feed daily.
    9. Need to make sure your calcium has D3. Dust twice a week with the calcium. You need to get vitamins also. Dust with vitamins once a week. Do not dust calcium and vitamins on the same day. Need to have a day inbetween calcium days and vitamin days.
    10. Make sure the lights you use do not have uvb/uva. No bulbs shiuld be over 50watts.
    11. Light are a good to maintain encloser temps.
    21. You can clean the enclosure every three weeks to a month.

jaydoza

1. For the size of your frog the 10gallon is too big. Get a small or medium critter carrier and cover three sides.
    3. Humidity needs to be around 80 percent at all times.
    4. Day time temps need to be 82-84 degrees and night time temps should be 77-78. You can get a digital temp/humidity reader with a probe for real cheap. Dont get the analog ones.
    8. Meal worns are a nogo. They can cause impaction. Nightcrawlers are the best staple food. Feed daily.
    9. Need to make sure your calcium has D3. Dust twice a week with the calcium. You need to get vitamins also. Dust with vitamins once a week. Do not dust calcium and vitamins on the same day. Need to have a day inbetween calcium days and vitamin days.
    10. Make sure the lights you use do not have uvb/uva. No bulbs shiuld be over 50watts.
    11. Light are a good to maintain encloser temps.
    21. You can clean the enclosure every three weeks to a month.
    what vitamin and calcium name brand do you recommend. a list with names will be appricated, and i already bought my 10gal tank -_- i cant return it

this brand here. Your going to need the ten gallon anyways when your frog grows. Just go out and get the critter keeper.

jaydoza

this brand here. Your going to need the ten gallon anyways when your frog grows. Just go out and get the critter keeper.
    ok if i get the critter keeper, i wont need his water bowl or lamp just keep him in there. how big must he get until i can put him in the 10gal

You can put the critter keeper In the ten gallon till he is big enought. At around 3 inches snout to vent you can move him. I reccomend feeding him well right before you move him because it usually takes a couple days to adjust.

jaydoza

You can put the critter keeper In the ten gallon till he is big enought. At around 3 inches snout to vent you can move him. I reccomend feeding him well right before you move him because it usually takes a couple days to adjust.
    Hey can i ask why you dont recommend him in a 10gal???

Hypnotic

I use heatlamps depending on the temperature, in the summer we had a heatwave here, my room was cooled to a cool 28°, outside it was 32°. Don't use your lamp if it's hot but you really need measuring equipment, it will help you keep your frog at a nice and stable temperature and humidity.

Too big of an enclosure will stress out the frog and cause it to not eat. Your enclosures should grow with your frog.

jaydoza

Too big of an enclosure will stress out the frog and cause it to not eat. Your enclosures should grow with your frog.
    im frog isn't eating!, im going to buy a little critter box and have him grow in there. do I cut my earthworks in half ?

jaydoza

hey danfrog, i got the small critter keeper, stuck my little dude inside and this time i fed him small crickets. and he ate
    he didnt like the meal worms nnor the nightcrawlers, the nightcrawlers were huge too i had to cut them in small pieces and still he didnt eat them, make my terrarium stink too.
    but as soon as he saw those crickets hopping, he ate them

Cool! Good to hear. Keep trying small chucks of nightcrawlers. They are very good for frogs. You can also try and start tong feeding. There is a youtube video by ivory reptiles I think called tong feeding 101.

jaydoza

Cool! Good to hear. Keep trying small chucks of nightcrawlers. They are very good for frogs. You can also try and start tong feeding. There is a youtube video by ivory reptiles I think called tong feeding 101.
    tong feed huh, ok yeah ill look into that.

so i cant have to baby pac man frogs together right\?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information