Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omg my froggy died......

bluefroggy

Default Omg my froggy died......

hello all. i am very very sad to say my froggy has died. i am really upset about it.

i have had him a week and grew very attached to him/her.

i actually shed a tear for my poor little baby.(everyone laughed bc they said its just a frog!!)but i know many on here will understand.

i dont know why he died.he was eating well.very active and seemed quite happy in his 10 gal tank.he was just a little guy.

i did not use a filter in his tank because he didnt like the vibes but did frequent water changes. wednesday i did a 25% water change then on saturday i did a 50% water change.

there are no signs of disease.if it wasnt for the fact that he isnt moving i wouldnt think he was dead at all. what do you think happened to my poor little guy.

i just got him from the store last week friday.so it has only been 1 whole week.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Socrates

Default Re: Omg my froggy died......

I'm sorry for your loss. What type of frog is it by chance?

bluefroggy

he/she was an african clawed frog

Paul Rust

That's terrible to hear, I'm also very sorry for your loss.

Kurt

So sorry for your loss.

It could have had something to do with the water chemistry of the tank. Do you have a pH test kit? Was the water dechlorinated?

bluefroggy

hi, well the ph levels were normal. the water was treated for chlorine and chloromines, with standard aquarium dechloronater. and i aloud the water to sit overnight just to be sure it was thoroughly ready for froggy.

didnt check the amonia levels though,as i cleaned it on wednessday and saturday,and just got him the previous friday.

sigh ......now i have 2 empty tanks..the 10 gal and 20 gal he was going to move up to when bigger....

if i decide to go with a treefrog or toad/frog instead of a completely aquatic frog,how hard would it be to set up the 20 gal as a terrarium?

iam a little gun shy of the acf now.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Im so sorry. Most of us understand and know what you are feeling. It's quite possible that your frog was ill when you purchased him/her as you only had him/her a week. Sorry for your loss.

bluefroggy

i was wondering if he may have come home from the store with something,i have bought a couple fish from them around the same time as the frog that have died as well. (different tank guys.)so i dont think i will be going back to them.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, something serious must have been wrong - these are among the toughest of all pet frogs. Sorry for your loss.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Treefrog set ups are fairly easy. Check out any of the treefrog care articles.

beaux mitchell

"I am sorry for your loss...But don't be gun-shy about getting another frog. Give it another go!"

Skulldroog

Sorry to hear that.

If you're interested in getting another frog as a pet, I'd suggest a tree frog. The set up is quite simple as well as maintenance and care.

Good luck.

bluefroggy

thanks everyone.i feel so bad it died,i will not use that petstore for animals again.the guppies and platy i got there have died as well.

yes i am now leaning towards seting up a home for a tree frog.is there a listing on here for any non-poisionous varities that are good for beginners.

ive already got the 20 gal tank, so i will need heat lamp,substrate,some water,cover,plants, food,cave/hiding spot....what else?

Kurt

Most treefrogs are not seriously toxic and the ones that are you basically have to give a reason to ooze their poisons. Red-eyes are non toxic, White's are mildly toxic, Cuban treefrogs are some what toxic, and milk frogs are quite toxic.

Paul Rust

You should be fine regardless of the species that you get as far as toxin is concerned. Amphibians are a hands off pet for the most part. I have some Rough Skinned Newts that are extremely toxic but they only secrete toxin if I have to bother them repeatedy like when I clean their enclosure. Just wash up before and after handling them and all is well.

bluefroggy

i was actually worried about my cat. if something should happen that the froggy got out and the cat ate him or came in contact with him then i dont want it to be a toxic kind.i cant really see him bothering the frog if he did out though,my cat runs from bugs and bunnies!!!!lol....but just incase.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by bluefroggy View Post
    i was actually worried about my cat. if something should happen that the froggy got out and the cat ate him or came in contact with him then i dont want it to be a toxic kind.i cant really see him bothering the frog if he did out though,my cat runs from bugs and bunnies!!!!lol....but just incase.
    I understand that. It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure it cannot escape. Not just for the cats but for the frog as well. Most amphibian toxin is not meant to kill as much as it's meant to make the animal taste bad so the predator lets go of it. Just make sure that the enclosure is secure and pen up the cats if you open it. There should be no reason not to get what you want.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by bluefroggy View Post
    my cat runs from bugs and bunnies!
    Bunnies ARE scarry! Haven't you ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Bunnies ARE scarry! Haven't you ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
    HA!!! Big, Big teeth!

xkatelynell

I'm sorry for your loss.

I have an african dwarf clawed frog and I know how they can be. I often say that it's really funny that out of all my critters my aquatic one has the most personality. I got him with another one and the other one died and I was devastated.

I don't think you should give up though! Sometimes things die and it's sad. You did the best you could but sometimes when you buy things from pet stores they're already so sick that you can't cure them.

Best of luck on your next little critter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information