Thread: Planted Vivarium for White Lipped Tree Frogs?

Default Planted Vivarium for White Lipped Tree Frogs?

So now that I've got the tank otw and my frogs settling down (my male seems to be fine with me now, still need to work with the female), I'm planning to do a planted vivarium for them, something like those that I learned from here:
    New England Herpetoculture LLC - Vivarium Construction 101 . I know it's more geared towards Dendrobates rather than White Lippeds but I really do want to try my hand at this.

So here is my potential set up plan:

18 x 18 x 24 tank with sliding doors and screen top (custom made, saved so much compared to getting an exoterra)
    Exoterra compact top with Repti Glo 2.0 & Night Glo 10w bulbs
    Thinking of a Cocofiber + great stuff back ground with driftwood ridges for climbing
    Mounted plants like broms and pothos (Love pothos, near unkillable)
    Bamboo branches for climbing
    Sansevieria and Bird Nest Fern as some ground plants (should I leave these still potted for ease of maintenance?)
    Water Bowl
    Bottom with hydroton, mesh, followed by ABG Mix and a thin layer of sphagnum to keep the frogs clean
    Isopods as microfauna

So any thoughts to this? My main concern is the microfauna part: I've got a small population of about 50 isopods happily waiting in their breeding tank for those but I'm kinda worried that the WLTFs will make a meal out of them. Also, I just discovered that these frogs defecate a lot. Even more than my pacman. How would a fully planted viv like that be maintained? Spot cleaning and daily water changes I know but I have no experience with planted vivaria and some pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks all in advance! ~ Sincerely, a newbie
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Planted Vivarium for White Lipped Tree Frogs?

If you're talking about a white-lipped tree frog (Litoria infrafrenata), IMO a 18 x 18 x 24 won't be big enough. A female can get over 5 inch!! That's one big honkin' frog!! Maybe 3 smaller tree frogs would be better suited for that size. As for "cleaners" in the tank, springtails are wonderful.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    If you're talking about a white-lipped tree frog (Litoria infrafrenata), IMO a 18 x 18 x 24 won't be big enough. A female can get over 5 inch!! That's one big honkin' frog!! Maybe 3 smaller tree frogs would be better suited for that size. As for "cleaners" in the tank, springtails are wonderful.
    Could you help advise me what would a proper size for a pair be then? I chose the size based on White-Lipped Tree Frog Care - Jabberwock Reptiles.

Also, springtails are rarely sold here in Malaysia and my area has no endemic population of them for some odd reason (I suspect the rapid development wiped most of them out ). Have to make do with the isopods. Hopefully they don't end up a snack!
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

Default Planted Vivarium for White Lipped Tree Frogs?

A bird's nest fern will grow way too big for that small of a tank. They grow to about 18" tall and about 24" wide. It would fill the tank in no time.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with the correct size for a pair fo White Lipped. I can tell you I have the Exo Terra 36 x 36 x 18 for 3 WTF and they use all the space in that, so maybe you just need to set up a spare room in the house for them. Also the specs most places give for tank size is way to small. I've seen were they post 10 gallon for one WTF. LOL, now that' a joke. Sure the animal might be able to live in a small enclosure, but then you're just asking for health issues to come up. I want my buddies to thrive and be happy & healthy.

As for the isopods, they'll eat them, but then they also breed fast so as long as you have places for the isopods to hide in, all it good.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with the correct size for a pair fo White Lipped. I can tell you I have the Exo Terra 36 x 36 x 18 for 3 WTF and they use all the space in that, so maybe you just need to set up a spare room in the house for them. Also the specs most places give for tank size is way to small. I've seen were they post 10 gallon for one WTF. LOL, now that' a joke. Sure the animal might be able to live in a small enclosure, but then you're just asking for health issues to come up. I want my buddies to thrive and be happy & healthy.

As for the isopods, they'll eat them, but then they also breed fast so as long as you have places for the isopods to hide in, all it good.
    10 gallons for a WLTF is a joke. Okay, I'll prob get a 20 x 20 x 24 then. 40 gallons, 20 per frog. That should be acceptable I hope. Yeah, I have to admit the Isopods breed like rats though! Also, any idea on planted viv maintenance? I'm under the impression once set-up and cycled, maintenance should be minimal right?

Thread Information