Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impaction.

Default Impaction.

I would like to hear everyones experience and knowledge about impaction. My little one is impacted right now and i want to learn everything I can about it. Causes, different treatments, and helpful advice. I don't know if I caused it or if the impaction was already there when I got her.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrpineapple69

Default Re: Impaction.

Give him a honey bath it will make him poop.

Ah I'm trackin on the honeybaths. Mine is a baby baby from petsmart. I tried the baths over the weekend and they ended up over stressing my frog. Right now I have a small water dish in her enclosure with a drop of honey in it. I gently place her in it twice a day. She stays in it, tries to poop and then after a while hops out and buries herself. I have ceased her food intake also.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

causes - just about anything, whatever is consumed and not digested can be a cause of impaction, the less moisture content having foods have the more chances. and all non food items with moss being nr1. even if a frog been fed outside of the enclosure moss can get ingested when a frog is shedding.
    treatment - home remedies, such as warm baths with honey or electrolytes, but mostly warm water that do a trick. there're specific vet treatment that you can go for if baths are not helping, and surgery as a past resort in worst cases.

helpful advise - get all the patience you can get so just do baths and very gently(!) massage his sides and please keep us updated.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Are they usually able to poop with regular soaks? What's the usual outcome of impaction? I have read where a few frogs have died from it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

it is a possibility, it all depends on how bad that is and what is a cause. what you need to do is to keep a very close eye on a frog, try less invasive and expensive things first, such as baths and see what's going on, most till go in a few days. if baths are not helping you go for the next step.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

K well when I put her in her dish she immediately trys to poop. I'm thinking that whatever is blocking her up is almost out. She went like a quarter inch the other day, but gave up after a while.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Dan, how long without a movement now? If baths are stressing it; that limits options, but guess the honey on it's water dish is good. Do replace water with 80F + honey (about a drop per frog's in. SVL) and place frog in it before it cools. Not sure the non-feeding is going to help, specially if a baby that needs daily feedings. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Feeding the frog solid food will make the impaction worse. The intestine will rupture. Do not feed it.

You may have to see a Vet. There is a medication that must be given orally and it jump starts the intestinal tract to assist in normal function. It can help with impactions. The medication is called Cisapride.

You can force feed the frog liquid food like Repta Boost. This will help keep any further waste from bring deposited behind the blockage since nearly all the formula is directly absorbed. The Vet can also administer a small amount of Mineral oil orally. This will also help pass the blockage.

This may be your best bet if the frog is impacted.

10days. 2 days ago she got a quarter inch out. When I place her in her dish she trys and goes. Water is at a good temp, under her light (the light is barely turned on) for humidity. Well she is definitely hungry, she was in her eating posture last night.
    If I keep feeding her will it plug her up more? Or will it push what's stuck out?
    Her last meal was Saturday night. She had a 2/3 inch nightcrawler piece dusted with repta boost.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Feeding the frog solid food will make the impaction worse. The intestine will rupture. Do not feed it.

You may have to see a Vet. There is a medication that must be given orally and it jump starts the intestinal tract to assist in normal function. It can help with impactions. The medication is called Cisapride.

You can force feed the frog liquid food like Repta Boost. This will help keep any further waste from bring deposited behind the blockage since nearly all the formula is directly absorbed. The Vet can also administer a small amount of Mineral oil orally. This will also help pass the blockage.

This may be your best bet if the frog is impacted.
    Kk thanks. Ill give some vets a call, and get one lined up. Do impacted feogs still try and poop on thier own?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    10days. 2 days ago she got a quarter inch out. When I place her in her dish she trys and goes. Water is at a good temp, under her light (the light is barely turned on) for humidity. Well she is definitely hungry, she was in her eating posture last night.
    If I keep feeding her will it plug her up more? Or will it push what's stuck out?
    Her last meal was Saturday night. She had a 2/3 inch nightcrawler piece dusted with repta boost.
    It can go either way. Sometimes feeding soft foods helps push the blockage out and other times it makes the blockage worse.

Its up to you. Continue the soaks and dust with the Repta Boost. If this does not help pass the blockage a Vet will be needed.

Yes until they become too weak to try anymore. By that time a bacterial infection can set in and cause the frog to go into septic shock which ends in death.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ive had my tomato frog "Bob" in a 10 gallon aquarium with cocoanut bedding and exo terra terrarium moss, this was a bad idea. Bob became impacted and i had given him many warm baths for at least 10 minutes a day, after the fourth day he pooped the largest turd ive ever seen! i never buy that type of moss for larger ambush frogs anymore. now i use wild sphagnum that comes in large sheets that he cannot swallow.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Just got home from work and her left side looks all puffed out also now. I just put her in her dish with a honey drop in it. Going to check her in a minute to see if she has started to poop.

Just took this picture. You can see the bulg on her right side. She has eaten a lot since I got her, I'm worried that she had the impaction when I got her.

Hypnotic

Has she ever pooped since you got her?

The very first day i got her. It took her a while to poop though but she got it all out.

Nationality
    [Canada]

honestly it doesn't look too bad, i'd continue with soaks and give her small piece of nightcrawler with reptiboost if she is interested.

Kk. Will do! Thanks everyone for the help.

She didn't want to eat last night. She is real skidish, especially when I stick my hand in her enclosure and move her into her water dish. I move as slow and quietly as possible. I'm going to try and feed her a small nightcrawler chunk with reptaboost tonight first before I soak her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information