Thread: Nightcrawler troubles.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Nightcrawler troubles.

My frog really struggles to catch worms. He lunges a few times but then looses interest because he can't get them. Does anyone else's frogs have this problem and how can I help him get them? I think it's their slimeyness but even when their covered with supplements he just licks the powder off and still can't get them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Nightcrawler troubles.

Since Duncan will eat three, I pile them up on top of each other, so he has a better chance of a strike. If one is left and he tries for a minute or so without success; I pick it up with tongs around one in. from a tip and offer it to him. He usually grabs that tip after couple of times .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Here are some update pics on him. He is almost three months old. I sometimes wonder if he's actually a girl since his head is so small. He was curled up when this was taken. When fully stretched out he's about seven inches!!! The pic of the small bullfrog was the day I got him on 6th June.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Since Duncan will eat three, I pile them up on top of each other, so he has a better chance of a strike. If one is left and he tries for a minute or so without success; I pick it up with tongs around one in. from a tip and offer it to him. He usually grabs that tip after couple of times .
    I give it a go.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Didn't work Mentat, good suggestion though. He only manages to get small chunks which takes ages to fill him. Do you think giving more multivitamin to him will make up for getting rid of worms from his diet or should I keep trying? Do you think with practice he will get better at catching them?

Nationality
    [United States]

I would try to tong feed him the worms. If he refuses but eats other bugs like Dubias; then feed him that. Would not increase the vitamin dustings beyond 1 per week, unless it's a product designed for daily use like Repashy's Calcium Plus. No way to predict what our frogs will do, one day Duncan grabs the 3. Other times he takes one and refuses the others .

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

He loves Dubias. I breed them as well as hissers, lobsters and red runners.

demon amphibians

all of my frogs and toads have trouble getting a hold of worms as well even my american bullfrog who has no problem catching guppies and Minos. what i have done before is lightly dust the worm with cal powder and that makes it easy for the frog to get a hold of the worm. can be frustrating at times you may use a paper towel to dry the worm that seems to help a little.

Nationality
    [Canada]

the only way mine would catch worms is from under the water and only recently she started to eat from tongs.

try feed in a water and dusted crickets/ dubia in between. works for me
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hypnotic

Thanks for the tips Lija, I was actually strugling too. They are so hard to manouver around, it's annoying. My girl never missed any prey besides the nightcrawlers. But like you said, I'l be switching it up. She had 3 big Canadian ones on wednesday. Usually she eats about 5 locusts so that's comparable.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    you may use a paper towel to dry the worm that seems to help a little.
    Thats a good idea and it works!!! He catches them easily.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    try feed in a water and dusted crickets/ dubia in between. works for me
    I dont think mine likes eating under the water. He doesnt like all the water in his mouth for some reason.

BerserkApe

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    I dont think mine likes eating under the water. He doesnt like all the water in his mouth for some reason.
    Boxxie relishes the water. He actually drags his worms to the water to finish them off. He's also been practicing dunking. Repeatedly flattens out and sinks to the bottom of his bowl before rising back to the surface. Little ******* made me thought he drowned.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; August 26th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Nationality
    [France]

My frog really struggles to catch worms. He lunges a few times but then looses interest because he can't get them. Does anyone else's frogs have this problem and how can I help him get them? I think it's their slimeyness but even when their covered with supplements he just licks the powder off and still can't get them.
    I have exactly the same issue with my Pyxie.
    And then, even with tong, she doesn't want a nightcrawler anymore if she didn't succeed to catch it on the substrate some minutes before.
    In water bowl, she is more interested by nightcrawlers becauset hey move a lot. But I don't like to feed with prey in water bowl because she swallows water and she becomes usually bloated (Full of water).

BTW, after some days, when she is hungry again, I retry first with nightcrawlers and she usually tries to catch them again. If she succeeds, then it's ok, otherwise, she is bored and doesn't insist

Hopefully, I give then Dubia roaches or locusts which are much easier to catch.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

Observed Duncan yesterday and noted he does the same thing you mention; trying to use tongue to grab them. Stilgar would just lunge and bite into them and was very successful at it. Guess it's a frog thing; some African Bullfrog will bite into worms , others will try to catch prey with tongue .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Observed Duncan yesterday and noted he does the same thing you mention; trying to use tongue to grab them. Stilgar would just lunge and bite into them and was very successful at it. Guess it's a frog thing; some African Bullfrog will bite into worms , others will try to catch prey with tongue .
    It is instictual to try and use their tongue. They can learn to bite at them. Günther will bite at the worms in his water or from tongs, but if I lay one on the substrate he will try to pick them up with his tongue and bite.

I believe their if room for them to learn when to use their tongue and when to just bite.

Thread Information