Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Karagga - Pyxicephalus adpspersus

Cap10Squirty

Default Karagga - Pyxicephalus adpspersus

Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce my P. adspersus - "Karagga." I picked the frog up while in Florida on vacation and made a trip back to Arkansas where the frog rules my desk (from its enclosure). I got the name "Karagga" from a very large Star Wars character....a relative of Jabba the Hutt!

Anyway, I feed Karagga dubia roaches, canadian nightcrawlers (which are real difficult for the frog to grab), hornworms, wax worms, superworms, superworm pupae, and soon Madagascar roaches.

I need help identifying the gender of this frog as this is my first P. adspersus. I do not have an exact on the age of the frog, as the pet store owners were uncertain (figures), but it is probably a couple of months. The weight as of last Sunday was 75 and something grams. I do not yet have an exact head to tail measurement.

Last night I heard Karagga croak from underneath the substrate. It wasn't the deep MOO croak that I have heard on videos and recordings. I can't describe it at the moment other than it being two back to back sounds, but I will keep an ear out for it again.

Here are 4 photos, the one taken on my notebook was from a week ago; the others being from today.
    Name:  8-15-2013 side.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  84.8 KBName:  8-23-2013 front.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  38.4 KBName:  8-23-2013 side.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  38.9 KBName:  8-23-2013 top.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  38.7 KB

Also, don't mind the hot sauce in the back corner of one of those photos. The frog was not about to get near that!

I appreciate any help and advice that is given!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default re: Karagga - Pyxicephalus adpspersus

Very nice and healthy looking ABF ! From the head shape would say it's a male, but wait until frog croaks the normal bull call to confirm. Approximately how long is it from snout to vent (SVL)? Asking because a couple of it's characteristics point out to the species P. edulis. I'm referring to white spot in tympani, distance between tympani and eye is same or less than eye diameter, and the ridge lines on back are segmented (not continuos).
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Cap10Squirty

Carlos,

I just took out my ruler and the frog is exactly 3.25" SVL.

As far as being a P. edulis, from my research here on the forums and from what I've been seeing I was certain that the P. adspersus has the three green stripes down the back while the P. edulis has one fine stripe and the "bar" from eye to eye. Here is an earlier photo of the frog demonstrating it's colors better (I think Karagga is about to shed its skin tonight because it gets really pale/yellow just before doing so, as it is right now (and for the photos that I have in the above post).

I see what you're saying though about the shorter ridges and eye-tympani diameter being less than the eye + white spot in tympani. I definitely overlooked these characteristics. I have seen several photos of P. adspersus on this forum that have the white spots and segmented/shorter ridges. Never thought anything of it until now.

This photo was taken on 8-1-2013
    Name:  8-1-2013.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    Carlos,

I just took out my ruler and the frog is exactly 3.25" SVL.

As far as being a P. edulis, from my research here on the forums and from what I've been seeing I was certain that the P. adspersus has the three green stripes down the back while the P. edulis has one fine stripe and the "bar" from eye to eye. Here is an earlier photo of the frog demonstrating it's colors better (I think Karagga is about to shed its skin tonight because it gets really pale/yellow just before doing so, as it is right now (and for the photos that I have in the above post).

I see what you're saying though about the shorter ridges and eye-tympani diameter being less than the eye + white spot in tympani. I definitely overlooked these characteristics.

This photo was taken on 8-1-2013
    Name:  8-1-2013.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB
    It is not a P. Edulis, it is indeed a giant. Also looks like a female.

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    It is not a P. Edulis, it is indeed a giant. Also looks like a female.
    I was pretty sure on the species because the girl at the pet shop had no idea what it was so I spent a few days on this forum digging up photos and info before I purchased the frog.

SCF, I've heard that females have a "chirping" croak or call. Does anyone know what stimuli causes the females to make noises? I am aware about stimuli that cause males to do their thing, but not females...

SCF

It has not yet been proven why. Some us of would like to think it's them voicing their content and/or happiness.

Nationality
    [United States]

The baby pic you just posted does look like a P. adspersus. Wish some scientist would complete a genetic DNA review of the whole genus and find out how many of it's species are true and if they are hybridizing. My Pixie "Duncan" shows both P. adspersus and P. edulis traits and got it as a full grown 3 in. male. Don't care the species really; but wish differentiating among them was more cut and dry .

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    The baby pic you just posted does look like a P. adspersus. Wish some scientist would complete a genetic DNA review of the whole genus and find out how many of it's species are true and if they are hybridizing. My Pixie "Duncan" shows both P. adspersus and P. edulis traits and got it as a full grown 3 in. male. Don't care the species really; but wish differentiating among them was more cut and dry .
    I see what you're saying. I'm not familiar with the history of studying these frogs, but if it is similar to what I've been seeing in the world of monitor lizards, things are only starting to come to light as far as understanding species and subspecies, proper care in captivity, etc.

SCF

Default Re: Karagga - Pyxicephalus adpspersus

I completely agree Carlos. It does not look like the "typical" adspersus, I was going to say something to the extent of it looks like yours, but I don't think many have seen yours. Good post.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    I completely agree Carlos. It does not look like the "typical" adspersus, I was going to say something to the extent of it looks like yours, but I don't think many have seen yours. Good post.
    Thanks SCF ! For OP and other's in here that want to see Duncan; here is link, just go to post no. 13: http://www.frogforum.net/member-week...os-mentat.html.

Nationality
    [Canada]

that is a very pretty female and def not edulis.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

Not too sure if its a female....I think judging from the first set of pics at this point it could go either way. ANGLES are always deceiving lol.

Nationality
    [Canada]

it looks female from all angles to me looks exactly like mine used to be before, now she is over 6" pretty lady. will do pic update some time soon
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Female.

Does look similar to the Hybrid appearence of Carlos's 3" male.

Cap10Squirty

Thanks everyone for the comments thus far. I checked Carlos's MOTW thread (good reading btw) and compared his male pixie to this one - I see what you all are talking about the frog being a hybrid.

"She" is a sweet little frog. I'll be sure to update photos, or worthy observations here and there.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Female. Does look similar to the Hybrid appearance of Carlos's 3" male.
    Yes they look alike and even share the big black eyes. I'm interested in Karagga's growth rate the following weeks. Wondering if it will top out bellow 4 in. or keep growing .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    ...Anyway, I feed Karagga dubia roaches, canadian nightcrawlers (which are real difficult for the frog to grab)...
    Interesting, just noted your comment about Karagga and night crawlers. Duncan has a real hard time biting into night crawlers too; with lots of misses; but once he gets hold of one... it's a goner ! In comparison, Stilgar (GABF) would decimate a dozen in minutes grabbing 2 and 3 at a time .

Cap10Squirty

Interesting, just noted your comment about Karagga and night crawlers. Duncan has a real hard time biting into night crawlers too; with lots of misses; but once he gets hold of one... it's a goner ! In comparison, Stilgar (GABF) would decimate a dozen in minutes grabbing 2 and 3 at a time .
    Wow, I would love to see my frog devour nightcrawlers like that...Karagga could spend 5 minutes flicking its tongue at the worms with no success! I bet dusting would help out quite a bit, it just seems that whenever I dust a worm the frog isn't interested in food anymore.

Nationality
    [United States]

Having trouble sticking the tongue to Night Crawlers can be attributed to a small Vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin A is used to produce the sticky mucus that coats their tongue. Not a huge issue as long as it doesn't become Short Tongue Syndrome, but this could just be a genetic disadvantage of being a hybrid.

Who knows!

NialR35

Both of my frogs sometimes have trouble grabbing night crawlers a quick little tip is to make sure you dry them well enough after rinsing the earth off them AND hold the tongs at a horizontal angle to make it easier for them too. On top of the fact that night crawlers produce slime when stressed it makes it worse too but eventually they will grab it. You can also drop them in the water bowl and the frog should be able to grab them from it without problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information