Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Karagga - Pyxicephalus adpspersus

Cap10Squirty

Default Re: Karagga - Pyxicephalus adpspersus

The frog has no troubles with the various other feeders even at longer distances she is able to snatch them right up. She nabbed a large chunky nightcrawler last night; it made me happy and I think it made her happy too as she smacked her lips for quite some time afterwards I'll start drying the worms off next time to see if that helps. I can barely keep the worms from sliding out of my feeding tongs so I know for a fact they have a nice and slimy protective coating.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    The frog has no troubles with the various other feeders even at longer distances she is able to snatch them right up. She nabbed a large chunky nightcrawler last night; it made me happy and I think it made her happy too as she smacked her lips for quite some time afterwards I'll start drying the worms off next time to see if that helps. I can barely keep the worms from sliding out of my feeding tongs so I know for a fact they have a nice and slimy protective coating.
    Hahahahah. I recently started using stainless steel ones without the rubber coating because it's a pain to feed night crawlers with them. The regular stainless steel tongs provide a way better grip and the tips are round. If you do that just make sure you keep the tongs away from the frog's mouth in case they go viking on you and try to swallow the tongs.

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Hahahahah. I recently started using stainless steel ones without the rubber coating because it's a pain to feed night crawlers with them. The regular stainless steel tongs provide a way better grip and the tips are round. If you do that just make sure you keep the tongs away from the frog's mouth in case they go viking on you and try to swallow the tongs.
    I bet that's what I need to switch to for nightcrawlers. One time I was feeding wax worms using the white rubber tipped tongs and the frog "went viking" on the tongs and I had to rethink my strategy

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Having trouble sticking the tongue to Night Crawlers can be attributed to a small Vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin A is used to produce the sticky mucus that coats their tongue. Not a huge issue as long as it doesn't become Short Tongue Syndrome, but this could just be a genetic disadvantage of being a hybrid. Who knows!
    Every day learn something new. Well, Duncan is on vitamins now and if I note a difference in the weeks to come will update the info. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

BerserkApe

Boxxie actually drags his worms to the waterbowl to eat them easier. As for flicking his tongue and missing if he was like Boxxie he/she will learn just to bite it instead.

Cap10Squirty

Here's a photo that my wife took about a week ago. Karagga is eating anything I offer (hornworms, dubias, madagascars, nightcrawlers, wax worms) every other day or so. She does what fat frogs do best - soak in a water dish all night!
    Name:  9-26-2013.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  87.4 KB
    I pulled the photo from my wife's instagram account (which is why it's stylized).

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks great Garret

Cap10Squirty

I just heard a deep bellowing MOOOO come from my office! I quickly looked in and heard a second MOOOO from Karagga's tank! I've never heard her make such a deep call. It sounds just like the recording somewhere on this forum. After the second call (which came about 3-5 seconds after the first, I peered in to find her in her water tub looking rather content

*edit* just heard two more, separated by several minutes the second being a long drawn out croak. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    I just heard a deep bellowing MOOOO come from my office! I quickly looked in and heard a second MOOOO from Karagga's tank! I've never heard her make such a deep call. It sounds just like the recording somewhere on this forum. After the second call (which came about 3-5 seconds after the first, I peered in to find her in her water tub looking rather content

*edit* just heard two more, separated by several minutes the second being a long drawn out croak. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight
    It turned out to be a he not a she then. Congrats

Nationality
    [United States]

He, he, he, good to know my prediction as a male turned out right, because normally I'm proven wrong ! Please post present pics of Karagga from above and side when you have a chance. Thank you !

Cap10Squirty

Whaaaat!? I thought I read somewhere that females have a call? The frog is not humongous, so perhaps it is like the frog Duncan if it is indeed a male. I'll get photos, weight, and measurements after breakfast.

Cap10Squirty

Alright, I got several photos. Karagga was very cooperative I weighed the frog in at 188g (random weight, as I didn't see the frog lose any retained water after taking it out for photos). I also got a measurement of the frog while "flattened" out. 4.75-4.95 inches SVL (took measurements in cm then converted to inches).

Here is Karagga:

*check the last photo - there is still a little bit of the blue marking left around the butt
    Name:  IMG_0625.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  53.3 KBName:  IMG_0628.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  67.8 KBName:  IMG_0636.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  69.1 KBName:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  58.8 KBName:  IMG_0643.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  80.9 KBName:  IMG_0645.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  75.4 KBName:  IMG_0647.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  61.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for pics Garret! Looks very similar to mine; but Duncan's dorsal ridges run unbroken on his back and his eyes are a bit darker. I thought Duncan was growing because he got bigger but appears he was just gaining some weight, since it's still below 4 in. even when stretched.

Karagga looks very nice and healthy on the pics and appears pretty docile. Duncan still fears me; always wonder what treatment he got from humans before me or maybe it's just his nature .

Cap10Squirty

I remember that being a difference - Karagga has the discontinuous ridges. I didn't notice the eye color differences, thanks for pointing that out.

Karagga quickly dug a burrow and hid once placed back in its enclosure; all I can see is its face smashed up against the wall underneath the substrate. Sometimes it's kind of creepy knowing that its watching from under the soil!
    I know for a fact Karagga wasn't treated all too well at the petshop for the first month or two of its life because it lived in a pile of moss, had a pinky once a week, and the owner pinned it to the bottom of the glass aquarium exclaiming "GOTCHA" when I asked to see it! I now handle the frog carefully as if it's a delicate water balloon that could pop haha.

Cap10Squirty

For the past three evenings I have been hearing loud croaking from my office! Sometimes it's just a single croak, but more often it is CROAK-CROAK pause CROAK. Also, Karagga has been staying in the water nearly 100% of the time (at least whenever I check) - so I frequently change the water now that it is occupied by the little swamp monster.

Cap10Squirty

The frog has grown a bit since the last photo was posted two months ago. I hear a croak here and there but not as frequent as it used to be a few months ago...

Don't mind the water dish, I took these photos yesterday as soon as the Karagga decided to take half of the substrate into the "pond" with him/her.

Name:  12-16-13b.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  95.3 KBName:  12-16-13c.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  97.5 KBName:  12-16-13d.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  64.1 KBName:  12-16-13a.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  109.2 KB

aprox how old is ur frog now?? and u know roughly its length STV?? great looking frog...loving the markings on the back of it

Cap10Squirty

Just less than 9 months old according to the pet shop where I bought the frog, but the girl that sold the frog to me also didn't know what kind of frog it was....so....

But I've had the frog for a little over 4 months. I'll measure the frog next in a day or two The markings are pretty cool, a little different from other giant's markings.

Cap10Squirty

Just some photos since it has been a while...Still undecided on gender of the frog, but ever so often I'll hear that deep croak that really sends shutters up my spine if I forgot about that there is a frog living on my desk!

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  110.3 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  59.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice I enjoyed this thread a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information