Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacman trouble, bloated

Default Pacman trouble, bloated

My frog doesn't look well. It is usually a great eater up until a few days ago, now it is refusing food. 2 days ago I upgraded his cage from a medium critter keeper to a large critter keeper. He did seem a little bloated that day but now it is worse. Please help! I don't want to lose him!

1. Size of enclosure - Large critter keeper

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - 1
    3. Humidity - not sure
    4. Temperature - 80
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - dechlorinated water
    6. Materials used for substrate - coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - ceramic bowl
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source - earthworms, nightcrawlers
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - once a week
    10. Lighting - flourecent tube
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - temperature controlled room
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - about 3-4 days ago
    13. Have you found poop lately - no
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog - a little over a year
    16. How long have you owned him/her - almost a year
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - CB
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - earthworms, nightcrawlers, crickets, roaches
    19. How often the frog is handled - only when cleaning entire enclosure, about once a month
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - pretty low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - change water daily, pick up poo when I see it, new substrate monthly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman trouble, bloated

Need to find out the humidity level (lower than 70 or higher than 90% is not good). Also, 82-84F is better day temps with night drops to 75-80F. Albinos skin and eyes are sensitive to daylight; can use red or black (moonlight) if needed for heat. When you touch side, does it feel squishy (air), jelly (fluid), or hard (constipation)? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

3. Humidity should be around 80percent. You need to get a digital temp/humidity reader.
    4. Try and raise temps to 82-84 degrees during the day and 77-78 for night.
    9. Vitamins once a week. Calcium d3 dust two or three times a week. Looks like your frog has MBD how the back legs are. Your frog is an albino only light you should use is an red incandescent bulb no higher than 50 watts. For day and night cycles use the natural light that's in the room. The fluorescent light can stress out an albino.

When was the last time it pooped? When you feel the frog does it feel squishy? If its squishy could be retaining water which is a sign of toxxing out. He could be puffed up with air which is natural for them to do. I'm more worried about the legs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Need to find out the humidity level (lower than 70 or higher than 90% is not good). Also, 82-84F is better day temps with night drops to 75-80F. Albinos skin and eyes are sensitive to daylight; can use red or black (moonlight) if needed for heat. When you touch side, does it feel squishy (air), jelly (fluid), or hard (constipation)? Thank you !
    Ok, I found a humidity gauge so I am checking it right now. I will turn off the light as well. I will need to get a red or black bulb, I'll do that today. I'm worried about burning the top of the critter keeper though! How do you heat frogs in a critter keeper? Maybe I will try and find a small aquarium.

I felt his side and it feel squishy like it is air inside.

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    3. Humidity should be around 80percent. You need to get a digital temp/humidity reader.
    4. Try and raise temps to 82-84 degrees during the day and 77-78 for night.
    9. Vitamins once a week. Calcium d3 dust two or three times a week. Looks like your frog has MBD how the back legs are. Your frog is an albino only light you should use is an red incandescent bulb no higher than 50 watts. For day and night cycles use the natural light that's in the room. The fluorescent light can stress out an albino.

When was the last time it pooped? When you feel the frog does it feel squishy? If its squishy could be retaining water which is a sign of toxxing out. He could be puffed up with air which is natural for them to do. I'm more worried about the legs right now.
    I will try raising the temps and let you know how it goes. I have not been dusting with d3, I feel AWFUL now. I'm so stupid! I'm going to do the best I can to fix the situation.

K if he doesn't feel like he is filled with water should be good on that. Did you feel anything hard on the right side? How deep is the substrate? Should be enough for him to completely cover himself. Im still worried about those legs, they dont look right. Here is my critter keeper set up. My light is on a dimmer and is barely on.

Thank you so much for helping my frog!

Its all good. Sometimes MBD is correctable. And at the very least you can probably halt it from getting worse. Work on getting all the husbandry correct, and things should get better. Maybe add some fake plants or something for security. I can't tell in the pics but are the sides of the enclosure covered?

Ok, the humidity is reading 64%. How do I increase it besides spraying the enclosure? I will also put in an inch more substrate and add a plant or 2. I'm going to go out and find a red bulb as well. I'll keep you updated, thanks again!!

The sides of the enclosure are covered, you just cant tell because I moved the enclosure to take the pics.

To keep humidity in you can cover half the top with saran wrap or tinfoil. My humidity fluctuates from 60-80 percent in the critter keeper I have. I just spray down the sides two or three times a day. Every two days I take handfulls of eco earth and squeeze out all the water it collected. How big is your frog right now?

Nationality
    [United States]

What kind of bloat is it. Hard or soft? Does it feel like fluid or air?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by tameyourself View Post
    I will try raising the temps and let you know how it goes. I have not been dusting with d3, I feel AWFUL now. I'm so stupid! I'm going to do the best I can to fix the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by tameyourself View Post
    Ok, I found a humidity gauge so I am checking it right now. I will turn off the light as well. I will need to get a red or black bulb, I'll do that today. I'm worried about burning the top of the critter keeper though! How do you heat frogs in a critter keeper? Maybe I will try and find a small aquarium.

I felt his side and it feel squishy like it is air inside.
    Dust with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1x weekly on different days with skip day in between. I prefer Repashy supplements but Rep-Cal is good too.

Zoo Meds Mini heat pad (RH-7)
    can be affixed to the side of a plastic enclosure. Another option is to use a desk lamp with an infra red bulb (do not exceed the lamp's max wattage). Then you adjust the distance from bulb to enclosure until you dial down the required temps. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

To keep humidity in you can cover half the top with saran wrap or tinfoil. My humidity fluctuates from 60-80 percent in the critter keeper I have. I just spray down the sides two or three times a day. Every two days I take handfulls of eco earth and squeeze out all the water it collected. How big is your frog right now?
    I will start spraying more often, I think that will do the trick.
    My frog is about 3" long right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    What kind of bloat is it. Hard or soft? Does it feel like fluid or air?
    I think it is soft, feel like air to me but I could be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Dust with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1x weekly on different days with skip day in between. I prefer Repashy supplements but Rep-Cal is good too.

Zoo Meds Mini heat pad (RH-7)
    can be affixed to the side of a plastic enclosure. Another option is to use a desk lamp with an infra red bulb (do not exceed the lamp's max wattage). Then you adjust the distance from bulb to enclosure until you dial down the required temps. Good luck !
    Thanks, I will start supplementing more often now. I have 2 other frogs that I will also put on that schedule.

Ok so I got an incandescent light fixture and 2 blue bulbs to go in it. I couldn't find any red or black light bulbs so I hop the blue are ok. The temp is now reading 82 degrees and the humidity is 80%. He looks a little less bloated than he did earlier, we will see what he looks like tomorrow. I also added a small pothos plant into the enclosure.

Go ahead and cover three sides of the enclosure too. It helps out a lot with reducing stress. You can pretty much use whatever.

Is that lamp on a dimmer? What type of bulbs are they?

Go ahead and cover three sides of the enclosure too. It helps out a lot with reducing stress. You can pretty much use whatever.
    Will do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information