Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What am i doing wrong?

bowser

Default What am i doing wrong?

so i just bought a approximately 1 year old from a doctor whose kid had it
    we assume that the frog is male and his name is bowser
    i got him about 3 days ago and he hasn't ate, hes temperature is around 78 degrees and i keep him and his environment moist
    his flooring is coconut shavings that you buy at a petstore i tried feeding him crickets and he ate one dead mealworm (which i know is not good for his diet) i had to force feed him that
    he doesn't move much i took him out of his cage to feed him today in a plastic bucket shape container (its a foot soak-er) and i put paper towels down and sprayed them with water
    but when i picked him up (with wet hands) he opened his mouth and closed his eyes and one leg looked kind of messed up and i genitally put him down and he was shaking and kept his mouth open and eyes closed for about 10 seconds, that is what really scared me i let him relax for a couple minutes and then tried feeding him a worm and he did attemp to eat it as all
    he doesnt hiss or croak which is well behavior and all but maybe that means somethings wrong with him
    im really worried and i have to idea what to do please help!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: What am i doing wrong?

Could you copy this and write the answers next to each question please. I just want to get the full picture of how he is being kept. Could you also take some pics of setup and the frog?

bowser

Could you copy this and write the answers next to each question please. I just want to get the full picture of how he is being kept. Could you also take some pics of setup and the frog?

(like this???)

sure here it is he has a fake and a real fern hes water is a bit dirty
    Name:  IMG_1889.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  78.7 KB

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Sorry I meant to post the trouble in the enclosure questions in my last post. Here they are. I bet you were wondering what questions I was on about lol.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I will have to respond tomorrow because I have to go now but someone else will probably help you in the meantime. Sorry.

bowser

1. Size of enclosure- about 20 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - just the one frog
    3. Humidity- i spray it about 3 times a day
    4. Temperature - 78 mostly
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish- spring water for both
    6. Materials used for substrate - coconut shavings
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. -
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.- a live fern and a fake plant and put into the corner he prefers to bury himself in
    8. Main food source- the man before fed him medium crickets and dead mealworms
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)-the crickets eat calcium food i put into their cage but he still hasnt tried eating mine yet
    10. Lighting- a heat lamp that dims and sunlight
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- i have a heating pad for underneith but i dont use it much, i mainly use the heat lamp
    12. When is the last time he/she ate- yesterday but only a meal worm
    13. Have you found poop lately- i havent but the owner said he had gone the day i got him iv seen his urine
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)(posted in last post)
    15. How old is the frog - he said about a year old
    16. How long have you owned him/her-3 days man before had him since march
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - the man got him a reptile expo so i dont know
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- the frog hasn't ate since iv had it besides a snack meal worm the guy feed him a cricket a day he said
    19. How often the frog is handled - just to clean his cage and to put him in another place to try and feed him
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - its pretty high because its easier to get to his water bowl that way
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)- i clean the water after he goes in it and the man before changed the cage every 3 months i dont believe that is enough changing..

Hypnotic

Boost his temps, 78 is too low, he should be around 83-84 atleast, 78 is ok for night time. Don't feed him anymore mealworms, the shell of those is pretty hard and could lead to impaction.
    Attach your heating pad to one of the sides (preffered, a side not near the waterdish), don't use it underneath. You need to tape off 3 sides of the terrarium with a background, only leave open the viewing side, this will provide Bowser with a secure feeling.
    Your absolutely right, these frogs should be spot cleaned and fully cleaned every 3 weeks to 1 month.
    The best diet for these frogs is nightcrawlers, try to avoid hardshelled prey like mealworms and other worms of this kind. Would you happen to know his svl (snout to vent length)?
    The prey I personally use are, dubias, nightcrawlers and locusts.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Enclosure may be too large. You may need to switch to a 10 gallon, but the frog is most likeluly adjusting to its new surroundings.

Substrate should be Coconut Fiber not Coconut Husk.

Water should be treated even if its spring water just incase. Water needs to be chamged every 2 days if the frog has jot entered it otherwise any time the frog enters the water.

UTH should be on the side of the tank opposite the water dish not on the bottom of the tank.

Temp should be 80° to 82° during the day and 76° to 78° at night.

Try offering Night Crawlers instead of medium crickets. For an adult frog large crickets should be used and Mealworms shoul be offered sparingly because the chitin in their exoskeleton does not digest and can cause impation.
    Definitely cover 3 sides of the tank with some kind of natural background.

bowser

alright i can rise the temperature and i wont feed him those anymore i knew they weren't god but i got desperate ill get some backround tomorrow when i go to the pet store and i thought he cleaned it not enough at all i felt really bad for him and i tried feeding him night crawlers today but he didnt react and hes about 3 and a half inches he is really small for some reason
    im worried because his back legs re always twisted and one arm is always under him and the man didnt mention dusting any of his food with calcium im scared he is getting MBD but his mouth is fine

Take some pictures please.

bowser

Name:  IMG_1879.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  128.8 KBName:  IMG_1884.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  65.9 KBName:  IMG_1877.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  118.8 KB

Hypnotic

I honestly believe it's bad MBD, his legs should not look like that. I personally think it's amazing he survived this long. I assume the reason for his shaking and eye closing is heavy pain related to his MBD.
    I'l tell you this honestly, I don't have much experience with MBD, but I know a horned frogs backlegs should not look like that.
    I'm sure someone with more experience will tell you what you can do, but honestly, from what I've read and seen, it's not looking good.

bowser

i got him 3 days ago from a man before, will a vet help?

ajpersona123

Im not an expert on pacmans but from what I know about MBD Id say that its a pretty bad case and as far as a vet trip I dont it would be worth it. It looks like its to a point where even a vet couldnt help. Ive seen some pretty bad reptiles with mbd and at one point even found a home for a bearded dragon who had pretty bad MBD. Im very sorry you recieved him like that. Even if you start dusting his food I dont believe it will help your Bowser much. And again Im sorry that you recieved him like that. Poor guy

bowser

Will he surivive? What should i do?

ajpersona123

Well like I said before Im not an expert on pacman frogs but again with what I know about MBD. He should survive as long as he starts eating again. You should still dust with calcium with each feeding as it will help strengthn the bones some and reduce some pain. But again it does look like a pretty bad cause of MBD and MBD is a disease to which after a certain point it will but even with dusting the effects will never fully be healed. Hopefully someone else will be of more help. I only know so much

bowser

Ill try force feeding him more

ajpersona123

Id wait till the last possible option before force feeding. Im in a stump with my frog right now and Im trying many different things. Before you force feed you should see what others with more experiece have to say. I understand that youre paniced but youll only stress your frog out and possible could cause him pain. Make sure to check your temps and your humidity. Hes also in a new home so you should give him some time to adjust

Hypnotic

Honestly, you shouldn't be force feeding at all. Make sure your new home is right and Bowser will eat, he has before even in the condition he's in. Force feeding is something that is stressfull for the animal and should be avoided unless REALLY needed. I agree with aj, give him some time. Your going to be taking better care of him then his last owner did, so Bowser will eat in time, especially if his temperatures and humidity stay right.

bowser

Alright i wont force him too eat how long untill i should be really worried about his hunger he seems really bad
    I feel so bad if I knew he was in pain I would never have moved him

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information