Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What am i doing wrong?

Get a picture. He might be in a feeding posture. Or he might be shedding. Or both. Try offering some food.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bowser

Default Re: What am i doing wrong?

I cant post a picture right now because im on mobil but i tried giving a cricket and he ate the head and the part that was sticking out he used his hand to take out of his mouth i wish i had a worm right now

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Is he shedding? Is there skin moving up towards his mouth? Does he look cleaner?

Was it dusted?

bowser

He looked shinny but i didnt see skin and i think his mouth was moving because had some of the flooring in his mouth and then i soaked him and got it out hes moving more and stuff it wasnt.dusted but then we tried feeding one that was dusted and he spat it out but.got some dust and its legs

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

yeah he was shedding, nothing to worry about.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

bowser

But i didnt see any skin?? He looks so nice now after his soak i mean hes not moving right but he got calcium and hes been movinga bit about the right amounta pacman should just wish he would eat more but hes perked up more

Nationality
    [Canada]

you usually don't see it the way they shed and eat it right away.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

bowser

Ohh is that healthy for them???

Hypnotic

Yes it is and completely natural.

bowser

Hes moving around a bit hes been moving around his cage he scared me at first because i couldnt find him but then i saw he was under a plant across to the otherside of the cage

bowser

So my dad force fed him because he was really worried and bowser took it well
    After he held him with wet hands he atete full powdered cricket well still i think it maybe have stressed him so i put him in some warm water and then he sat in his corner im glad he ate i hope we wont have to do that again...

Hypnotic

Bowser, we have told you 5 days ago, you should NOT be forcefeeding this frog. Especially not after such a short period of time. Force feeding is not going to help him, You have had him for 8 days and you allready forcefed him twice! It's clear you haven't taken him to a vet yet eventhough everyone here has recommended you take him there emediately. He is not going to get better on his own, are you going to force feed him for the rest of his life? Well, if you are, it won't help him at all. Even in his sick state, he managed to hold out this long, he needs help and he doesn't need food pushed in his mouth. Do you have any idea howmuch stress forcefeeding puts on an animal? Force feeding is a last resort, something you do when absolutely needed, not when an animal needs a vet.

bowser

My dad will not take him to a vet because how hes been moving more and seeming better
    I really didnt have my own choice i dont know whens the last time he actually ate something

bowser

Im sorry though....i did feel bad watching him be force fed....

Nationality
    [United States]

Bowser needs a veterinarian; that is plain and simple. It's not a small problem; it's a chronic condition that has been ongoing for quite a while and even an expert would be challenged by it because frogs recover from maladies slowly.

Still; don't stress out if your parent's decision does not follow our recommendations. It's hard to listen to some frog crazies in a forum when the local expert boy at PETCO or others tells them otherwise. Also, doing a little bit of this advice and a little bit of that one, usually leads to bad results, with frogs and in life. Recommend try not to worry about normal behavior like shedding and most important, pass that worry to parents.

Maybe it's time to take a step back and if not going to veterinary; continue to offer (not force) frog nutritious food (night crawler body length pieces dusted with Repta Boost or CA/D3) and hope for the best. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

bowser

Yeah,they cant take him to the vet, if it were my choice and if i had that much money i would, iv tried giving him night crawlers but no reaction guess ill wait a while though

Nationality
    [United States]

Have your parents read this thread? Even if the advice here won't convince them to take him to a vet it might confirm to them that they should not be forcefeeding.

You CAN rub the nightcrawlers on his lips to convince him to try and eat. I often do that with my frog who has had neurological issues in the past and doesn't strike at food well/has horrible aim. I apply a slight bit of pressure at the frog's lips: If she turns to one side or swipes the food away that means she's not interested and I don't push it any further. If she doesn't do that, it usually means she'll eat within a few seconds.
    One thing to be careful with is just to angle the tongs in a way that the frog doesn't jab itself in the mouth going after the food.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

bowser

I believe they have and iv tried that but he doesnt swipe away but he wont eat either im gunna go. Get better tongs soon because mine are short and maybe my hand scared him

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    I believe they have and iv tried that but he doesnt swipe away but he wont eat either im gunna go. Get better tongs soon because mine are short and maybe my hand scared him
    It definitely took some time before I figured out how to get mine to take food that way after she got sick.
    Yeah, definitely pick up the longer tongs. They have a pretty good sense of smell; he might be smelling your hands.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information