Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What am i doing wrong?

ajpersona123

Default Re: What am i doing wrong?

well mine hasnt eaten in three weeks. Make sure you listen to what these guys have to say. And you dont want to have to force feed unless you absolutly have to

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bowser

Alright i just really hope he makes it through this
    And im going to have to call this guy to inform him what he did to this poor little guy

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and sorry your frog is sick ; at least you did not get it that way. Did you changed substrate to shredded coco (Plantation Soil or EcoEarth). That is important because if this sick frog gets impacted... it could end up bad. When you get it (usually in bricks) do use dechlorinated tap to mix into a slightly damp soil that will clump in fist without dripping water. Keep trying with the earthworms, sometimes brushing it against frog nose will get it to grab it. Only use plastic tweezers (Zoomed yellow ones) or plastic tipped ones. Night crawlers should be around the frog length and you can cut them from pointy end. How big is Bowser from snout to vent?

If force feeding (last resort) get Flukers Repta Boost and use it for that. It's much better as a two person operation and there is video linked in forum by member on how to do it (can't find now). Still this one might give you an idea.

Once you get Bowser eating, you can start dusting his food (I rinse night crawlers in dechlorinated tap, pat dry in paper towel, then dust them in small bowl). A lot sticks to them so only need to dust one. Do CA/D3 2X and vitamins (1X) weekly on different days with skip day in between. I use Repashy products but Rep-Cal is good too. Stay with night crawlers once start eating them and can add crickets (sized same as distance between frogs eyes) or similar sized Dubia in a week or so.

In regards to calling previous owner and giving them hell ; it's really better for you and Bowser if you use your energies to help him and not blast out someone who was clueless about frog care. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

bowser

I changed his cage the day i got him im getting plastic tweezers today
    How mant times a day should i put the worm infront of him?
    Im sure he knew... he had them before and he didnt post a picture of him on the site and the frog himself was free but the cage was 30$

Hypnotic

You should feed Bowser 15 minutes per feeding day, prefferedly after his lights have been out for 30 minutes - 1 hour, don't try to feed him multiple times a day, it will only stress him out more.
    Bowser needs all the energy he can get, let him sleep during the day. Bowser is an adult frog, so can be fed once, twice or three times a week.
    I feed my adult girl every wednesday and saturday, she is fed for 15 minutes and eats 4-5 prey items per feeding. Note, if Bowser doesn't eat much, you can feed him multiple times a week.
    You can feed Bowser every other day if he only eats small portions.
    But try to avoid stress as much as possible, because the last thing Bowser needs is added stress in his condition.
    Handle him as little as possible and bother him as little as possible, and he might be able to have a happy life.
    Trust me, let the doctor and his son take an imaginary rocket to the sun and forget about them, the important thing is, your saving Bower's life.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

You should try offering it at night about an hour after his lights go off. That's when my pacman gets hungry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    I changed his cage the day i got him im getting plastic tweezers today
    How mant times a day should i put the worm infront of him?
    Im sure he knew... he had them before and he didnt post a picture of him on the site and the frog himself was free but the cage was 30$
    This is what I would do if Bowser was in my care. First get some unflavored Pedialyte (in drugstores baby section), or similar product and mix a solution 10% Pedyalite and 90% dechlorinated tap water at 80F. Prepare the bath (in a small critter box or similar you can cover in the rare case it jumps) so it gets to frogs chin and add couple drops of honey (maybe a drop per in. SVL). Do this this evening or when frog wakes from day sleep.

Carefully place frog in bath and let it be for 15-20 minutes. If frog poops in bath carefully move back into enclosure and place in it's water dish (80F dechlorinated tap water). This bath should perk him up a bit and then we can try to feed a frog length sized night crawler. Try first approaching from frogs side and rubbing worm on it's lips to try and incite a strike. If you get one; dust a second worm or piece the same size with CA/D3 and try again. If it gets it, we started winning this one. If not, I'll leave it up to you, to decide if trying the technique on video is the way to go. Do update thread and try feeding again tomorrow. Also, recommend get the Repta Boost because it can be used in bad shape animals by dusting lightly dusting food couple times the first week they start feeding, good luck !.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

bowser

I wish i knew when the last time he ate was because hes so small ill ,try an earth worm tonight , i havent seen him sleep yet at all though,
    I am scared to pick him up because the last time i did he started shaking and hada his mouth open and eyes shut, but when i put him in water before he kepti trying to get out, it wasnt deep at all, but the first time i ever put him in at all he went pee i think

You have probably seen him sleep and didn't know it. They will have really small pupils. Sometimes they will close thier eyes half way or all the way. My frogs don't though.

bowser

Ohh okay iv seen him have half closed eyes i didnt know that was him sleeping i always thought they close their eyes all the way

bowser

ill update how the feeding goes in about 9 hours which is an hour after lights out

bowser

also i need to get this D3 im not sure what it is at all well i know its a vitamin but how do you feed them it? and where do you buy it?

Look for calcium powder with d3 in it. It will say it on the front.

bowser

alright im going to get it today

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just about any pet co or pet smart will cary it,

I use the flukers calcium with D3.
    you can dust the worms with it.

But I would avoid dusting worms with multi vitamin since it contains mineral salts and putting salt on a worm will
    make it go nuts and put out a lot of mucus and kill the worm and it won't be very appetizing to the frog.
    I dust crickets and dubia roaches.

I have used another product for frogs that are in desperate need of nutrition. It is really for fish but it has a good protein content
    and has vitamin and minerals added.
    I am trying to get the nutritional data for it but can't find it on line. and I don't have the box any more.
    It is called Tertra freshDelica brine shrimp. it comes in packets like ketchup from fast food places.
    and is easy to feed with out forcing the frogs mouth open. you can slide the open end of the packet into the mouth and squeeze the paste into
    the frogs mouth.

This seems to be the least stressful way of force feeding a frog that will not eat.
    But please make sure you have the frog in the correct conditions first as mentioned before.

Might as well get your vitamins also. I use this.

I dust nightcrawlers with vitamins too now. I used to just dust crickets with vitamins but my frog won't got for crickets anymore. I either sprinkle the dust on the worm or dump some dust on a paper towel and dip the worm on the dust. Only covering about 15-20 percent of the worm. As soon as I dust I feed it to my frog because the worm will slime up.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I guess I'm just a little bit too slow or applied to much powder. but I like Danfrog's solution to the sliming

If I offer anything smaller than a full grown nightcrawler now Mojo just looks at me like I'm stupid. That's why I dust as fast as possible. Oh I also offer the undusted end to the frog first due to the bad taste of the dust.

bowser

i dont think bowser will eat crickets at all ill see if anywhere near me has those shrimp packets anywhere
    thank you for all of these suggestions im sure they will help alot tonight

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information