Thread: Horned frog behaviour

Hypnotic

Default Horned frog behaviour

So, I've noticed something amazing today, it has happend a few days in a row. When feeding Bubba, he gulps up his 5 preys in under 5 minutes, then he turns away from me, signaling me to stop feeding him.
    I've tryed to feed out the full 15 minutes, but he shows no intrest in food anymore, and keeps turning away. Today I accepted his signal and stopped feeding. He also seems to be waiting for me an hour after I mist the tank, he sits in a relaxed position, facing the top front of the curver. Almost like he seems to know he's getting fed.
    And added to that, untill today, I have always given Bubba baths, today I caught a big mess in his waterdish and well, it seems he finally went on his own.
    Is this his being more relaxed in his enviroment, or is he actually learning things from me? I din'd expect frogs to be this smart to be honest.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Horned frog behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    So, I've noticed something amazing today, it has happend a few days in a row. When feeding Bubba, he gulps up his 5 preys in under 5 minutes, then he turns away from me, signaling me to stop feeding him.
    I've tryed to feed out the full 15 minutes, but he shows no intrest in food anymore, and keeps turning away. Today I accepted his signal and stopped feeding. He also seems to be waiting for me an hour after I mist the tank, he sits in a relaxed position, facing the top front of the curver. Almost like he seems to know he's getting fed.
    And added to that, untill today, I have always given Bubba baths, today I caught a big mess in his waterdish and well, it seems he finally went on his own.
    Is this his being more relaxed in his enviroment, or is he actually learning things from me? I din'd expect frogs to be this smart to be honest.
    They recognize feeding time and do refuse food in ways like this. Turning away, swating at the food, ect.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Agree with Colleen/Jerrod! Once they see you as the food source and get over the stress you (the giant) causes; can communicate with body language basic stuff like: feed me (get on food bowl, plant face in front glass, fake hops); or satiated (turn around, push food away, threaten you) .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Hypnotic

I think that's quite intresting actually, I never expected these frogs to have such attitudes and overall cleverness. My adult female, well, she's pretty attitudeless, but I don't seem to scare her in anyway, she just sees me as a source of food and ignores me for the rest, my friends pacman is just scared beyond normal, probably from her excessive handling in the past.

Thread Information