Thread: Frog Identification Help

Emily36

Default Frog Identification Help

I'm new to this forum, and I joined because I have a bit of an interesting situation.
    I work at a petstore in BC, Canada, who accidentally received three tadpoles with a shipment of 300 feeder goldfish. For those of you that don't know, goldfish are cold-water fish.
    Frogs occasionally lay eggs in with the goldfish, and to the chagrin of many, the tadpoles look identical to the small fish until you see them up close.

These are (supposedly) wild frogs, and this is the first time that the tadpoles have survived, but our store cannot legally sell them, the conditions at the store are far from ideal for frogs, so I took the only one that had metamorphosed into a froglett to ensure that it had better care. I want to make sure that the frog is either released into a safe habitat in future when he is large enough, or find a public service that can take care of him properly, but I can't do that until I have identified the frog species.

These are the only pictures I can get at the moment. He is very good at hiding. The frog itself is about the size of a quarter.
    http://i.imgur.com/y2GDypa.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/dIZh0YU.jpg

Are there any tips you could give me as well?
    All I have for feeding at the moment is frozen bloodworm, even small crickets look too big for this little guys mouth. I have hermit crabs, so I do have freeze dried shrimp? I doubt he would eat it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog Identification Help

The frogs appear to be from the Ranidae family, Possibly wood frogs?
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Wood Frog does seem likely- the black behind the eyes and under the armpits plus the small size at metamorphosis. Do you know where the shipment was from or where the goldfish originated? Pictures of it as a tadpole may help ID as well.

Whatever it is, it should have a land area that is easy to get to now that it is a froglet (this is also critical for the remaining tadpoles once they get front limbs- drowning is very possible at the 4 limbs+tail stage). Fruit flies, spring tails and pinhead crickets should work as feeders.

Emily36

I found another thread similar to mine. Someone identified it as a leopard frog.
    http://www.frogforum.net/members/jac...og-tadpole.jpg
    I think it is a leopard frog, just because it makes sense not only as far as shipping goes (I believe our store receives feeders from california, the same place he found his) and also geographically. Leopard frogs are found all along the western coast, in varying diversity. I think it's a southern leopard frog, which means I need to up the pond-anti...

The froglet is in a 6 gallon "pond" (its a sterilite bin) with a bucket of dirt about 4 inches deep so he can bury if need be, I just bought some exo terra moss I'll be adding, there is a bubbler on one end, silk plants surrounding it because I understand that most frogs prefer more stagnant pools, but since the tub is sealed so he can't get out I wanted some fresh air in there, plus a little extra humidity.

There is no filter yet, I have one that I can set up soon however I need a new cartridge. I'm changing about half the water every 3 days, is that enough? It does get dirty pretty quickly.
    I'm feeding bloodworm at the moment, the fruit flies he just ignored, and no one around here has pinhead crickets. I have to order them special. So I hope that the bloodworm will do for now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Emily! If Leopard frog or any similar Ranas, you can use the information on this care article: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886) . Most Ranas will do well in a 60-75% water tank with smaller dry side simulating a shore. Can get many ideas in the Vivarium section from other member projects. You can vary the diet and add following if available: blackworms (usually live), daphnia (frozen), large FF (think are Hydei), and cut up (from pointy end around size of frog length) earthworms (available in bait & tackle sport stores, get with no dyes or chemicals). Recommend dusting with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days and with skip day in between. Since your frog will live mostly in the water, now is the time to train it to eat on a little glass dish or bowl in the dry area. Feeding aquatic frogs dusted animals is a challenge; but can be done with adults by injecting a supplement solution into larger night crawlers before dropping in tank. Good luck !

A filter will help greatly with maintenance and keeping ammonia and nitrites on check. In the meantime, change 25% daily with same temperature dechlorinated tap or bottled spring. Once filter is cycled (around 30 days but can cut in half using a product like Seachem Stability); you can change 25% or so weekly. When doing water change clean filter media in tank water and do not replace all the media at the same time or you will have a mini cycle again until new media is seeded. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information