Thread: First time for tadpoles... Worried that they are not going to survive.

Default First time for tadpoles... Worried that they are not going to survive.

I have 3 1/2 day old ACF tads. From what I understand, at this point they should be clinging to the sides of the container - they are not. They appear to be developing correctly but are laying at the bottom of the bin. There is an airstone in the bin, but it is small and I have a knot tied in the airline to reduce the flow to almost nothing.

From what I can see and from looking at the photos from this site - Xenopus laevis stage series: complete - Xenbase | A Xenopus laevis and Xenopus tropicalis resource - they are somewhere in the 39th to 41st stage of development.

I added a small amount of hydrated (with tank water) spirulina powder to the bin today, but I am not sure how much to use. I have golden pearls on order but they have not arrived yet.

I'm afraid that I am doing something wrong and killing them. I have removed any undeveloped eggs and dying/twisted or malformed tads right away. I am doing daily 25% water changes with a turkey baster, using water that has been treated with Seachem Prime and left sitting for 24 hours.

Any suggestions? I culled my numbers down to 25. I didn't want to get overwhelmed caring for too many. However, judging by the looks of my female tonight, I bet there will be more eggs in the morning. I may remove some and let them develop as well. My male and female are unrelated, and she is albino and he is green. I know they have produced viable offspring in the past, I have one of their youngsters (I was given these three together.) I have another albino male as well. The female is as large as my hand, they are fat and healthy looking and very active.

Big fat momma frog

Name:  DSCF0027.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  102.8 KB

The tads, taken earlier today.

Name:  DSCF0088.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  54.1 KBName:  DSCF0089.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  30.6 KBName:  DSCF0090.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  40.0 KB

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: First time for tadpoles... Worried that they are not going to survive.

I also should be clear - they DO swim if disturbed (by blowing a tiny puff of water at them out of an eye dropper. So they may be dying, but they are not dead yet.

More of the parents

Name:  DSCF0096.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  54.9 KB

Bonasa

Default Re: First time for tadpoles... Worried that they are not going to survive.

Don't worry. Everything is ok. Right now, I have 21 tadpole. First days, they do that: lay on the ground, pretending dead, or being dedrites. Just be patient, and don't kill them with your overdone worry. Good luck

This morning I have a couple of "clingers," LOL! The others that have been just laying about have obviously elongated and developed more.

Name:  DSCF0100.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  65.8 KBName:  DSCF0101.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  52.5 KB

Dang duckweed is a menace... I have no earthly idea how that piece got in there. It wasn't there last night.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Kyryah! Do not worry and let the tadpoles be. Duckweed will actually provide a source of food and cover for the tads. Just net out some if it becomes too thick a cover on top. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I have tanks that you can't see the surface of for the duckweed... Just unsure how I managed to transfer it over to the tad bin. I now have 5 "clingers." WHEW! Feeling much better!

The whole feeding thing still has me a bit worried, so hopefully I can figure that one out fast.

Thread Information