Thread: Help: My Green Tree Frog (Duke) Has Been Acting Strange Lately

JustinG

Default Help: My Green Tree Frog (Duke) Has Been Acting Strange Lately

Hi everyone! This is Justin, and I am recently a new member here. I came across this sight and from what I've seen, it's really helpful. I do have some questions for you guys and would appreciate if any of you could answer them. Thank you in advance.

My wife and I currently have 2 green tree frogs (Daisy unfortunately passed away). After her passing we went and got (Cooter) so Duke would not be lonely. Duke is 13-15 months old and Cooter we estimate is around 8-9 months or so. Duke used to be very active and climb everywhere and eat everything. However, for the last month or so we have noticed that he seems to be on the lazy side, likes to burrow in the dirt (on the ground) and sit in the water like usual. Also for the last week or so he has not been eating. We almost always feed them on the table that their terrarium sits on. We take the top off that is ventilated and let them come out at night (8-9 PM MTN time). They will usually climb around for a bit and then come right to the front of the table every time to get fed. That are becoming quite pro at this. Anyways Duke just sits there and we have to pick him up now to try and feed him. He doesn't go after crickets or the meal-worms and wax-worms. He tried to eat a waxworm a couple of days ago but spit it out. After he spit it out, he looked very awkward with his tongue sticking out for a bit. Does anyone know what could be wrong? He likes to sit and sleep by the water if not in the water. He does not look to have anything wrong with him from what we can see. He was impacted once... but he doesn't seem to have that (I could be wrong). He still walks fine and everything. Just seems uninterested. What's up? Is it just a summer time thing?

We have:
    29 gallon tank
    Plenty of moss
    Big water bowl
    Ventilated top
    Quite a bit of plants & things as well.

We keep:
    Temperature between: 70F-80F
    Humidity between: 30%-70%

I'll attach pictures of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help: My Green Tree Frog (Duke) Has Been Acting Strange Lately

Hi there, and welcome to the Forum sorry to hear your frog friend isn't doing so well..

From what I can tell, there are a few issues with the enclosure that should be addressed... I don't know if they are causing problems, but we shall see.

1) Humidity should be between 70-75%. If it is dropping to as low as 30%, that is dangerously dry and can cause dehydration.

2) Mealworms and waxworms are not a good staple food due to them both being high in fat and low in other nutrients. They also have a hard exoskeleton full of chitin which can cause fatal impaction problems (which it seems you are familiar with). The crickets are good. Make sure they're a good size for your frogs and are being dusted every second feeding with Calcium+D3, and twice a month? with a multivitamin. The calcium will prevent your frogs from develop metabolic bone disease, which is caused by a lack of calcium in the diet. Left unattended, it can progress to serious symptoms such as seizures, tetany and paralysis, sometimes resulting in death.

So we can help you out to the best of our ability, it would be really helpful if you could answer these "Trouble in the Enclosure" questions:

1-Size of enclosure?
    2-# of inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-Humidity?
    4-Temp?
    5-Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?
    6-Materials used for substrate?
    7-Enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?
    8-Main food source?
    9-Vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-Lighting?
    11-What is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?
    12-When is the last time he ate?
    13-Have you found poop lately?
    14- A picture would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone picture is fine.
    15- How old is the frog?
    16-How long have you owned him?
    17- Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?
    18- Frog food- how often, and if it's diverse what other feeders are used as treats?
    19- About how often the frog is handled?
    20-Is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area?

If you could please address every question (even the ones you mentioned in your first post) that would be awesome. Thanks

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

Thread Information