Thread: My Albino Pacman frog isn't aggressive.

chrisb593

Default My Albino Pacman frog isn't aggressive.

I've had my albino pacman frog for a little over a month now, and it isn't acting like a normal pacman frog. I've worked with pacman frogs and everytime I put a cricket in the cage it would instantly eat it but mine out. I have to crush the crickets heads and then my frog will just let it sit there for at least an hour before he eats it. I know hes eating them because they aren't there. The reason why I got a pacman frog is because I like how aggressive they are. Does anyone know why my frog is doing this? I have my temperature and humidity levels right so I'm not sure why this is happening.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hello! If you can plz fill out the trouble in the enclosure questions and post them on this thread.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Albino Pacman frog isn't aggressive.

Answer these questions http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html and repost your answers here in your thread.

chrisb593

1. Size of enclosure About 16 gallon. Its the 18x18x12 exo terra terrarium
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences none
    3. Humidity 86%
    4. Temperature 82 degrees. I have the Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller so its always 82 degrees
    5. Water -misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate Coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. I have some fake leaves in it.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source Crickets and supper worms for right now. He ate one blood worm.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) I dust the crickets with calcium every day and dust the crickets with a multi vitamin once a week.
    10. Lighting. No uvb lighting just a red heat lamp.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure. Heat lamp. I've tried the heat mats but they dont work.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate. Yesterday
    13. Have you found poop lately. A couple days ago.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog. Not sure.
    16. How long have you owned him/her About a month
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred Captive bred.
    18. Frog food- For right now mainly crickets. I'm going to get some silkworms and hornworms soon.
    19. How often the frog is handled Rarely.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area Low traffic.
    21. I change the bedding every other week. I change the water daily and mist the enclosure 2-3 times a day.

I know the enclosure is too big for him ( I got it on sale haha) I'm thinking about getting a 5 gallon tank and use it for now and then use the exo terra terrarium for when he is bigger.

How big is your frog?

1. 18x18x12 is too big unless your frog is adult. Make sure that at least three sides are blocked off to reduce stress.
    3. Humidity should be around 80 percent. If possible try and lower it a tad.
    4. That is a good day temp. I keep my day temp 82-84. To to trigger a better feeding responce they need 77-78 degrees at night.
    5. You didn't put anything for water. Make sure all your water is treated with a dechlorinator.
    7. If you can please post a pic.
    8. Crickets are okay as long as they are gutloaded. Nightcrawlers are the best staple food by a longshot. Avoid the superworms and bloodworms.
    9. You are dusting too much. Calcium d3 twice a week, vitamin once a week with at least a day inbetween. I use the Monday Wednesday Friday schedule.
    18. Silkworms and hornworms are treat food. They should be fed those every once in a while.
    21. Every three weeks to a month is just fine for an enclosure cleaning. It will save you some money in the long run too.

Nationality
    [France]

What do you mean "Agressive" ?
    Bitting everything moving ?
    High feeding response ?

Pacman frogs are so different from each other and they have so much different personnalities.

And the more they grow, the less the appetite is.

I already got 3 pacman frogs at my home and none of them was agressive...Even none of them one was a big eater.

If you want to be sure to get a frog with high feeding response and very big appetite everyday, then get an African Bullfrog
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Being a cranwelli they are nocturnal. Make sure you feed at night. I feed an hour after lights out. I do a small humidity spike shortly after lights out also. Oh if you get nightcrawlers make sure they are just plain nightcrawlers not dyed or flavored.

chrisb593

@danfrog He is almost 2.5 inches and I figured it was too big. I just moved him to a critter carrier. I just reptisafe for the water I just didn't post it haha. I feed my frog at night time, he's eating, he just lets the food sit there for a while before he eats it.

@GRABibus I guess what I'm talking about is the fast eating response. Like I've said before I have worked with pacmans and all of them had a fast eating response, thats why I got a pacman frog.

K you can place the critter keeper inside your exo terra if you haven't done that already. It will help with maintaining the temps. You can get a 10 gallon at around three inches maybe a little bigger. Try and make the other corrections too. They will probably help with the feeding responce.

Oh yeah. Be ready for him not to eat for a couple days since you moved him to a new enclosure. Most times they just need some time to adjust.

Nationality
    [United States]

Each individual Pacman is different. Some have a really aggressive feeding response, some have a moderate one, and others are just so lazy that they open their mouth and expect you to just place the food in. This is not necessarily out of the ordinary.

See how he fares in the Critter Keeper and keep us updated.

MrsPacman

We feed our pacmans with tongs and the ones that seem less aggressive feeders did not respond to rubbing the food on their lips, but rather poking them in the armpit. After a few tries the stubborn ones would turn toward it and eat. It may not work for yours, but its worth a shot

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by grabibus View Post
    what do you mean "agressive" ?
    Bitting everything moving ?
    High feeding response ?

Pacman frogs are so different from each other and they have so much different personnalities.

And the more they grow, the less the appetite is.

I already got 3 pacman frogs at my home and none of them was agressive...even none of them one was a big eater.

If you want to be sure to get a frog with high feeding response and very big appetite everyday, then get an african bullfrog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

chrisb593

Okay thank you for the advice everyone!

Thread Information