Thread: cricket frustrations

ChrissyBee

Default cricket frustrations

I've been feeding my small pacman frog 3-4 crickets a night, but lately I've noticed that some of them are just hanging around the heat sources and not going close enough to the frog to be eaten. I find them in the morning next to the heat pad or basking under the ceramic heater. I'm thinking having crickets just hanging out in the tank can't be great? For one the dust (calcium or vitamin) that I've put on them is long gone by the time they are eaten, and I suspect the gutloaded food may be too. Also, I'm thinking there is a chance they will lay eggs in there. Should I be concerned?

What I've tried doing over the past couple of days is dropping them in one by one, as close to my frog as possible. Then I sort of 'herd' them near him with the tongs if they stray around the tank. That's working ok for now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

TextualDeath

Default Re: cricket frustrations

yeah don't leave them in there they will bite your frog.Just put maybe 1 or 2 in at a time .Eventually he will get hungrier as he or she grows and pursue them aggressively and eat them.My pacman started out on crickets went to pinkys then small mice now she eats full sized mice . i raise my own and let her either eat an adult 1 time a month or a few small juveniles. Their appetites come and go .

Monza geckos

Try putting some bug grub in a dish for the crickets to be attracted to so they will be distracted and give the frog a chance to hunt also i would check the temperatures as your frog should be near the source of heat

ChrissyBee

Thanks for the tips. He is fairly close to the heat pad and the temps/humidity are spot on, but just does not hunt right now - he waits in ambush. That said, when I got up this morning he had moved and there were no remaining crickets, so I'm thinking last night he did chase a few down maybe.

Monza geckos

My friends Truffs1178 or jack has a pacman that does absolutely nothing but sit and look cute but at night the little fella soaks moves hunts and croaks he's a very active ornate

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Monza geckos View Post
    My friends Truffs1178 or jack has a pacman that does absolutely nothing but sit and look cute but at night the little fella drinks moves hunts and croaks he's a very active ornate
    Yup he sure does but I usually have to force feed him nightcrawlers because the only thing he eats by himself is roaches and I prefer to vary his diet between the two.

Monza geckos

Does citrus not eat crickets and worms

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Monza geckos View Post
    Does citrus not eat crickets and worms
    I have to force feed him everything but adult female dubias. He will sometimes lunge for a Canadian night crawler but rarely.

Thread Information