Thread: Heat cables

Default Heat cables

Thinking about getting away from lights as a main heat source. I have a hand held laser thermometer also on top of the hygrotherm. When I use the laser I'm getting a bunch of different readings from all over the enclosure. I'm tracking the laser only reads surface temps but what I'm really wanting to do is to create an all around steady ambiant temperature even in the shade.

1. I have the exo-terra 18x18x12 enclosure. I would like to stay with the exo-terra brand. They make three different types of cables which one should I get?

2. If I attach it to hygrotherm would I still need to hook it up to a thermostat, and how long does it take to warm up? Or should I use it with a thermostat and have it stand alone and if so what brand thermostat?

3. How would I attach it to the enclosure? Inside or outside? Do I need to any additional supplies? Do I zigzag it?

4. As always pictures would be awesome for ideas.

Thanks in advanced

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heat cables

heat cable..... well, i like it, but not for frogs. it is very good to place under the tank for snakes, as you can zigzag ( with duck tape or even better electrical tape) it the way you want, it is excellent for incubators or styrofoam box while traveling. I bet it should be excellent to heat up roaches bins too, but for frogs not so much, it works well when placed in the enclosure, but you can't use it inside because you need to duck tape it and tape inside is a VERY bad idea, especially for frogs. you can place it outside as well with tape, but it will look awful and you will be mostly heating the air around the tank, but not inside, well inside too, but not much. hm... unless you tape it high up so a frog can't reach it... but you better be sure, if ducktape (any tape) is stick to a snake, it is possible to take it out, but if the same happens to a frog, the only way to take it out is with a skin. that is why I'm saying it is a very bad idea.
    i was trying different ways to save up on electricity, with many cages you kinda need to think about it cables are good for that, heat mats too, but I'm sticking up with mostly lamps for frogs, alternatively for a few cages i have heat mats on a sides ( and heat cable for my BRB) going full time and as additional source red lamps plugged into hydrotherm, this way the usage of red lamp is less.

don't try to make same tamp everywhere in the cage, they need to have gradient and will choose where they want to be, colder or warmer side.

you can plug multiple heat sources into hydrotherm.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Yeah was thinking more about the cables and I'm probably going to just grab a big heat pad. Mojo seems to like it at the coldest part of the enclosure completly buried. He goes down for about two days sometimes three at a time. He is still eating pretty good. Just not like before.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    He is still eating pretty good. Just not like before.
    he is growing, it is normal, as they getting bigger they slow down eating.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Yup I'm trackin. He is almost 4 inches around now. He should be reaching full grown in the near future. How big do male cranwellis usually get?

Nationality
    [Canada]

4-4.5"

Cool that's what I was thinking. Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm just goingbto point out that it is good to have a temo gradient within the enclosure. It allows the frog to choose whether it wants to be warm or cool. This is a good thing. That is why you make a warm side and a cool side. They should not be kept at a consistently same temp year round. The only time you usjally maintain a certain temp is when they are sick.

Ah ok cool. Then I should be good then. It does feel nice and warm when I stick my hand in the enclosure.

Thread Information