Thread: My first frog ( and his enclosure )

Nathan Tetzlaff

Default My first frog ( and his enclosure )

I've had this guy for two days so far - it's hard to tell, but he's a green fantasy pacman. He actually seems very relaxed. I had a tank divider made up in case he was anxious about being in a large tank, but so far he's eating great. Both days he's had almost 8-10 medium crickets! Feeding him takes patience though, because he's not very good at catching them...he doesn't really seem to use his tongue, but just waits for them to get close before lunging at them. Even then he'll miss them a lot, and then the crickets climb up the wall of his tank or hide under his fake plant. I had to chase a few of them towards him, and he didn't seem to mind my hand being in the tank, so I'm going to get some tongs and try that! I have a few questions.

1) I have a humidifier that I've modded to work similar to a reptofog - some aquarium tube runs up the length of the tank and the mist falls into his cage from the ceiling. I keep the humidifier running on a low setting all day, so it's constantly misting, but it keeps the tank between 70-80%. I'm using distilled water inside the humidifier, and he's sitting quite close to the mist. It practically falls right next to him - is the constant distilled mist exposure enough to hurt him? I have a spray bottle I also use if needed, but I made sure to fill that full of treated tap water since it's more likely to get the frog wet than the mist.

2) The lady at the petstore told me I should be dusting his food with calcium powder that contains D3 3 times a week, and on other days I should be dusting his food with calcium powder that DOES NOT contain D3. Reading around the forum I see most people just suggest Calcium+D3 3 times a week with vitamins once a week. Which is correct? I bought vitamins with D3 and calcium with and without just in case.

3) He's eating crickets now, and seems to have a very healthy appetite. I'd like to get him some dubia roaches and nightcrawlers though - I'm sure I can find nightcrawlers local easily, but where's a good place to order some dubias? And should I bother with setting up a colony, or is it easy to just order small batches and replace them when he's eaten all of them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

YourSoJelly

Default Re: My first frog ( and his enclosure )

That looks great! Your little guy is so cute. I will try to answer to the best of my abilities, I am still a new froggy friend.

1. Hopefully this link will help you here, I am of no assistance, sorry. Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding
    2. The Calcium+D3 and vitamins are the better way to go. Your frog doesn't miss out on any nutrients, and he gets everything he needs.
    3. I know a few members on here breed Dubias. Maybe they would be willing to send some to you, or give you more breeding advice.

Best of luck with your new little guy! I hope I managed to help!

Nice! Seems you have done your research. Welcome to frog forums! If thats your only frog I wouldn't start a colony, you would be over run. You have everything pretty close. Go ahead and answer these questions here, so we can make sure everything is perfect!

Trouble in the Enclosure

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.
    1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Nathan Tetzlaff

1. Size of enclosure - 18"x18"x12"
    2. # of inhabitants - 1 green fantasy pacman
    3. Humidity - averages between 70-80%
    4. Temperature - 77-78 at night, 83 during the day
    5. Water - type - humidifier using distilled, spray bottle using tap water treated with prime, water dish using tap water treated with prime
    6. Materials used for substrate - eco earth expanded with tap water treated with prime
    7. Enclosure set up - Enclosure was cleaned with "Wipe Out 1" and white vinegar diluted in treated tap water. It was allowed to air out before everything was added.
    8. Diet - Only crickets as of right now. Night crawlers will be added soon, and hopefully dubias.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - The petstore I got him from only gave him calcium that I'm aware of, so I gave him some Reptivite crickets yesterday. In addition, they gave him calcium every day, the variety with D3 three times a week and a variety without D3 for the remaining 4 days. I'll only be using Repti Calcium with D3 three times a week. The Repti Calcium without D3 the remaining 4 days seems a bit much from what I've read.
    10. Lighting - Fluker's Daylight 60 watt and Flukers Red Heat Bulb 60 watt. These are used with a dimmer to lower their strength.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - I manually adjust his lights and humidifier.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - Yesterday. So far my frog is a very healthy eater.
    13. Have you found poop lately - Not yet. I've only had my frog for a couple of days, but he's starting to swell from all the eating, so I'm sure I'll find some any day xD
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - See first post. I'll have better pictures once I soak him for the first time.
    15. How old is the frog - The tag at the pet store said "juvenile." That's all the information I have.
    16. How long have you owned him/her - Two days.
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - Captive.
    18. Frog food- Just crickets.
    19. How often the frog is handled - So far just once to place him in his tank.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - In my bedroom.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - No maintenance yet. I'll be doing daily water changes and spot cleaning with a full substrate change once a month.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

all right, it seems someone done their reseach! good job! and beautiful frog you got here! your qs have been covered already,
    -use ca with vit 3, but 3 times a week, do it every other feeding and once a week multivitamins, because i tend to forget things, i do same days, i have Mon/Wed/Fri for ca/vit d3, Tues/Thurs/Sat- nothing, Sun- multivitamins. it is easier to remember when you do it on a same days every week. every day is too much.
    - tank itself is too big, but he seems to have no problems feeding, I'd not push it though, at least place another plant on the other side to make him feel safer. what size is it now? I'm guessing about 2.5"? yes it is juvenile.
    - get hydrotherm plug your fogger and heat lamp into it and live worry free about temps or humidity, that thing will control it for you, providing night temp drop as well.
    - lazy frogs usually do better with tong feeding or so not to offend frogs, let's say frogs who are not too good at catching food, usually learn very fast that tongs are the best thing humans invented.
    for the future when you clean after you use wipe off, you need to rinse it as well.

great start so far!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

The hygrotherms are about 40 dollars on amazon. They are awesome. At the pet store you would pay around 100 dollars.

Hypnotic

Lija I don't think your offending any frog, my girl is a skilled hunter, but seems to preffer being fed, she doesn't even seem to poop on her own. Some horned frogs are just too lazy for words.

Lol Mojo is a lazy one. He is not a skilled hunter, and he is too lazy to take offence. He might turn his head at a dubia or cricket if your lucky. He likes being served worms from tongs, but the tongs have to be about two inches above him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Glad you researched first.

As everyone has said it looks good except that your frog's substrate looks a little dry. It should be moist or heavily damp, but not muddy. Could just be the lighting, but it looks dry to me.

Thread Information