Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help with my pacman

ajpersona123

Default Need a little help with my pacman

Hi guys. I just recently bought an albino pacman frog. i have him set up in a 20 gallon tank. Ive had him for about three days now and i just cant seem to get him to eat. Ive tried large crickets and dubia roaches and neither of them have seem to get his attention. Ive checked his tempeture and humity over and over again both of which are ranging are at 80. Is there something Im doing wrong or should I give him some more time to adjust to his new enviroment. Any and all help is apperciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need a little help with my pacman

welcome to the forum!
    let's figure out what's up. size of the tank might be main issue. please post your answers to these qs so we can help you

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

ajpersona123

Thanks. Hes in a 20 gallon tank and hes the only animal in the tank. The humidity and temperature are both at 80 this is what the people at the store recommended. Ive used bottled water to mist and put in his drink bowl but used tap water with reptisafe on the bedding. I used eco-earth this was also recommended by the store. In the spot he seemed to lay in the most i put an artificial plant and other than that the only thing in his tank is the drink bowl. The store was feeding him crickets and apparently hes also eaten a pinky. Hes about 2 inches wide and across. He hasnt eaten yet for m and ive owned him for 4 days. I havent handled him because i wanted him to settle in. Hes a bit jumpy right now as well. Hes in my room and theres not much going on in it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

for 2" frog 20 gal is way too big, get something smaller, max 5gal, he is scared. as well cover 3 sides of the enclosure. are you using any lights?

and hey wow, pet store people advised something good this time! substrate is good, humidity is good, temp is all right, but it is better when there is a temps drop of a few degrees, so day is 80-82 and night 76-78, when temps drop and it is darker they go hunt in a wild and that is when you can expect the best feeding response in captivity. would you have pic of a little guy?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

ajpersona123

If i put something in between the cage to divide it would that work? i dont have a small tank and he only came in a little bowl. I do have pictures but i cant figure out how to upload them from my phone. Im using a heat lamp. Its a little 40 watt bulb I turn it off at night and i dont use a light at night so im sure the temp does drop. So far i do have the bankground covered.

ajpersona123

Alright here are the pictures.Name:  IMG_1191.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  85.0 KBName:  IMG_6298.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  73.8 KBName:  IMG_8424.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  95.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

No daylight bulbs for albino frogs. You'll have to use infrared or he could recieve skin and eye damage.

You must get a smaller enclosure. He is stressed by all the space in there. If you musy go out and buy a medium critter keeper and place a UTH for hermit crab enclosures on the back and then cover the rest of the sides with some kind of natural background. The static cling backgrounds work well.

Once his stress is reduced he should begin to feed.

ajpersona123

So no daytime bulb. Only infared? I will go get a keeper within the next few days. I put up a plastic divider and divided him into a third of the cage because it will be a day before i can get to a petstore.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ajpersona123 View Post
    So no daytime bulb. Only infared? I will go get a keeper within the next few days. I put up a plastic divider and divided him into a third of the cage because it will be a day before i can get to a petstore.
    In the meantime try and keep him warm and keep stress levels as low as possible.

ajpersona123

Great. Thank you so much. Is there anything else i need to know to keep this little guy alive and happy?

ajpersona123

Hey guys. I ended up getting my little guy a medium critter keeper and ditched the daylight bulb and replaced it with a uth but my guy still isnt eating. I went and bought some nightcrawler because i saw on here that a lot of people think they make a good staple. Ive left him alone aside from trying to feed him and changing his water. Do you guys think he is still stressed or could it be something else?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys. I ended up getting my little guy a medium critter keeper and ditched the daylight bulb and replaced it with a uth but my guy still isnt eating. I went and bought some nightcrawler because i saw on here that a lot of people think they make a good staple. Ive left him alone aside from trying to feed him and changing his water. Do you guys think he is still stressed or could it be something else?
    It takes time for them to adjust to their surroundings. Keep offering food.

The uth is attached to the side of the enclosure right?

ajpersona123

Yes the UTH is on the backside of the keeper. Hes very active. He been chirping a lot lately. At night hes been sitting in his water bowl and jumping around. The only problem Im having is not feeding him. I keep checking the temp and humidity but ill keep trying and try to let him be as much as I can

TextualDeath

just get some small crickets and try until he does feed. He may not be hungry or not adjusted to his new environment yet .Do not add too many at a time .maybe just leave 1 in there and check to see if he eats it .You might also ask the place where you got him what he was eating before you bought him. he might have preferences .

ajpersona123

I put one in his keeper last night but took it out this morning. Ive had him for a little over a week. The store said they fed him a pinky last thursday. Im kinda in a stump here

Nationality
    [United States]

I put one in his keeper last night but took it out this morning. Ive had him for a little over a week. The store said they fed him a pinky last thursday. Im kinda in a stump here
    Might still be digesting the pinky.

ajpersona123

Well Im still not having any luck. Ive owned him for about two weeks now. Three sides of his tank are covered and the temp and humidity is at 80. Hes in a medium sized critter keeper. I check his cage once in the morning to remove his uneaten food and I change his water. I almost mist in the morning. And once at night for a misting and Ive been dropping a single small cricket. I tried a nightcrawler one night too. Im not sure what to do. Sorry for my concern but I dont want the little guy to die

Try covering most of the front side too. That might help. And he will have to adjust to the critter keeper also.

ajpersona123

hes been in the new keeper for a week. ill cover up the last side. Is there anything else i should try?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information