Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im new to pacs,please help

frogerz

Question im new to pacs,please help

hey guyz,im very new to pacs,i just bought it today,its 1.5 inch..so i have a couple question here,1st one would be,is my pacs a baby?since it has a very small size compare to the one i see in youtube..2nd,iv seen many colours of pacs in google/youtube..are they different type/species of pacs? lastly,my pacs deosnt make any sound,i just bought it today(few hours ago)..I realy need to know the 1st question,cause i do not want to over feed my pacs to death..cuz i know baby pacs eat almost everyday n adult eats once a week or so..it cost me 150$...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: im new to pacs,please help

Welcome to frog forums! Please answer these questions and we can get you set up properly from the get go. Please post some pics too.

Trouble in the Enclosure

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Your frog is a young one, but not a baby baby. There are I think around six or eight species of pacman frogs. I can only think of six off the top of my head. They come in all sorts of colors and sizes. Dont worry about over feeding. They are very good at knowing thier limit.

I took this out of an old post here on the forums. It has the different pacman frogs.

Types of Pacman FrogPacman frogs are all members of the genusCeratophrys. Currently, there are 8 species in the genus Ceratophrys. The two species most likely to be encountered in the pet trade are C. cranwelli (the Chacoan Horned Frog, sometimes referred to as Cranwell's Horned Frog) and C. ornata (the Argentine Horned Frog). There are other Pacman species available, but these two species are the most popular. Other Pacman frog species include C. aurita (Brazilian Horned Frog), C. calcarata (Venezuelan Horned Frog), C. cornuta (Surinam Horned Frog), C. joazeirensis(Caatinga Horned Frog), C. stolzmanni (Pacific Horned Frog), and C. testudo. Fantasy Pacman Frogs, sometimes referred to as just Fantasy Frogs, are infertile hybrids of C. cranwelli and C. cornuta. They have pointier horns than C. cranwelli, but are not as strikingly shaped as C. cornuta.

Sorry for the wierd symbols. I don't know why my phone is making them.

frogerz

@danfrog
    nah,the symbols are fine,i can still read though..so iv look up in google images on Chacoan Horned Frog,and im 100% sure thats the type that i bought,(same colour as your profile picture), but there kinda small compare to the species that i see in youtube where they feed them mice and chicks...i always admire the big fat pacs compare to the small one...but nvm..il still love my pacs ....hmmm btw if i post my pacman image can u predict the age of it plz

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

welcome to the forum!

without pic we can't say much and if you could answer the questions danfrog posted it would be easier to advise you.

healthy well fed 1.5 baby usually is around 2 month old (out of the water), some even younger then that, it depends on species, but more importantly how it was fed and what was his environment.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

frogerz

thx for welcoming me,well i cant say much on danfrog question since i just bought it like few hours ago,but here's some questions that can be answered..29 inch long and 16 inch wide,thats the home he's living right now,and for temperature,humidity,etc..its a no prob since im living in Malaysia which has exact temp n humid for pacs to live...and he/she has a couple of stuff in the tank to hide in it..il post my pacs image tommorow so maybe u guyz can predicts it gender n age...

Nationality
    [Canada]

it depends i guess, i don't know what temps/humidity are in where you live, but with these guys you should have a thermometer and hydrometer ( or combo), digital are the most accurate, and if you see that you can get enclosure to where it needs to be without heating or misting, that is great, but you gotta know the numbers.
    if you just got him, then it is important to set him up properly, your tank is too big for 1.5" frog, it might get stressed up and won't eat, what substrate are you using? this article is very helpful Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

he is very small to sex yet
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

frogerz

@lija
    i use fish cave and rock for now,but il input more stuff in it soon...thx for the link, very infromative,however i have one more question before im offline,why is my pacman scared?whenever i touch it it runs away..why is this happening?in youtubes,pacs would bite or scream when touch,etc..?btw i dont think my tank is to big since in the wild they have the whole wide world around them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

yep the whole world around them and most of them are getting eaten. The smaller the space the safer he'll feel, your tank is too big for his current size.
    don't watch youtube videos, while some of them are actually informative, but most are just bunch of stupid people posting videos on how they're harassng and stressing out their frogs. makes me very mad
    he runs away when you touch because to him you are a huge giant that might eat him, you are stressing him put. do not touch, do not handle, frogs are look but don't touch pets.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do not follow all the information you see on YouTube Frogerz most of it is false or not proper husbandry.

Danfrog and Lija have on a good start. Your frog is still a baby. At 1.5 inches it is propably about 3 weeks out of the water IF it was cared for properly by the shop where you purchased it from.

You need to offer your frog small crickets daily. Dust the crickets with a reptile/amphibian calcium powder with Vitamin D3 every other feeding and once a week with a reptile/amphibian multiviatmin. Do not dust with both calcium and multivitamins in the same feeding. Offer as much as it will eat in 15 minutes. Don't keep trying to touch the frog you will just stress it out. They are look, but don't touch pets. They should only be handled when absolutely necessary.

If your frog is cared for well will reach adult size in close to 5 months time. Some grow much faster and can reach adult size in 1 to 3 months. This all depends on genetics and poper diet.

Welcome to Frog Forum.

Any further questions feel free to ask.

frogerz

@GriffTheGreat
    what do u mean by''At 1.5 inches it is propably about 3 weeks out of the water IF it was cared for properly by the shop where you purchased it from''?..does it mean that the size can be stun if the shop guy deosnt take care of the pac properly?cause i realy want my pac to be big like other pacs out there..hmm my pac hasnt make any sound yet,exept for a clicking sound he/she made when i was about to transfer its place to a bigger tank..whateva it is il post my pacs image on wednesday..

Pet stores are notorious for keeping the frogs they are selling incorrectly.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by frogerz View Post
    @GriffTheGreat
    what do u mean by''At 1.5 inches it is propably about 3 weeks out of the water IF it was cared for properly by the shop where you purchased it from''?..does it mean that the size can be stun if the shop guy deosnt take care of the pac properly?cause i realy want my pac to be big like other pacs out there..hmm my pac hasnt make any sound yet,exept for a clicking sound he/she made when i was about to transfer its place to a bigger tank..whateva it is il post my pacs image on wednesday..
    If the store didn't care for the frog correctly it could be stunted which means that it is possible that the frog will not reach it's full potential. Thta does not mean that your frog is stunted. Try not to worry so much. I'm sure your frog will grow just fine.

frogerz

ok guyz seems like all of my question are answered..well i have 1 left..my pacman frog hasnt make a Single sound..it has been 2 days..im kinda worried..he/she is not sick,that is what im sure of,so whts wrong with em?any idea...?

NialR35

Its normal they don't make any sounds....unless its male calling, or when they feel harassed/ threatened and go in a defensive stance.

frogerz

@NialR35
    so,,,today i wash my pacs tank,so i have to take em out with my hand,and he/she still not making any sound..but it run when i try to carry em...still no sound make....im sure he feel harased/threatend while i try to hold em.....or maybe he's too young to voice out..?

They really don't like to be handled. Dont worry about making sounds, they really arnt noisy frogs. I good way to tell if your stressing your frog out while handling is if it pees. Just make sure to keep the handling to a minimum because the oils and whatever else is on your hand can be absorbed into thier bodies.

frogerz

@danfrog
    that is very informative thxx!!
    ok,this will be my very last question,i feed my 1.5 inch pac with a live guppy,1 guppy 1 day...the guppy size is not big nor small...its medium...so is it cool?i only feed em guppy....

i would stay away from fish personally. There are some ways to do it, but the risk to reward factor isn't high enough for me. Diseases can transfer from fish to frog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information