Thread: Question About Packaged Foods

dubbean

Default Question About Packaged Foods

So Camo Frog will now eat from tongs and I was wondering about packaged foods such as Pacman Food (either from Japan or Zoo Med), freeze dried crickets and/or Zoo Meds Can 'O crickets, snails, caterpillars, shrimp, or grasshoppers. I hate live crickets, but will continue using them if need be, and would rather not bring live roaches into my house. I want to know if any of these options are fine as a staple diet and/or as a way of adding variety to my pacman's diet.

I want what is best for Camo Frog above all so if these alternative foods are bad please inform me and let me know why and I will continue going the live bug route. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Have you tried nightcrawlers? I recomend them over everything as a staple. As for the pacman food and zoomed food, I'm to believe that some frogs like them and some frog don't. They say you can feed them nothing but the packaged food but I don't know if I can believe that. I know some people on these forums use the pacman food more like a trear food.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question About Packaged Foods

Agree with Dan, night crawlers are the best food for Pacmans . Try finding them at your local Walmart's sport section, use the plain one with no dyes. If too bit for your frog, cut them from the pointy end in sections about the length of the frog.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pheathers

I tried the ZooMed stuff and both my pac and pyxie spat it out in disgust (although, I've heard some frogs like it). I tried the canned stuff and my pac wouldn't go for that either (but my pyxie would eat the canned locust and 'pillars when she was young and voracious).

Bo

I got my frogs from Samurai Japan and they were raised on their pacman food. That's all we feed ours and they seem to be growing well. Very quick feeding them w/tongs. They're plump and happy.

I want to get some samurai pacman food. Not the zoomed stuff though. Just to add more variation in Mojo's diet. Mojo doesn't seen to like dubia roaches all too much.

dubbean

Thanks for all the responses. No, I have not tried nightcrawlers because I can't find them. My local Walmart doesn't sell them and neither do my pet store. I will trie bait shops or online then.

Yeah I get my worms frog the gas station down the street. Any bait shop will have them.

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by dubbean View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. No, I have not tried nightcrawlers because I can't find them. My local Walmart doesn't sell them and neither do my pet store. I will trie bait shops or online then.
    Have you checked this place?
    Buy live leeches, worms online, Speedy Worm - Wholesale Worms, Nightcrawlers & Leeches

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    I got my frogs from Samurai Japan and they were raised on their pacman food. That's all we feed ours and they seem to be growing well. Very quick feeding them w/tongs. They're plump and happy.
    i don't think samurai food is a good staple, as a treat yes, it is ok, but def not as a staple. for one it is not natural for pacs to eat that stuff ( just look at contents), it makes them grow fast, that's true, but how healthy that is? to grow too fast and you might be looking into vet visit, it gotta be healthy first and foremost, so until there's enough data available proving that growth rate and longevity of life is the same feeding natural feeders and samurai food if use it as a staple, i will never recommend to feed it as such. by data i mean actual scientific data not "i feed like that and had no problems".

Dubbean- nightcrawlers and dubia( any roaches), supplemented with ca/d3 2xweek and multivitamins 1xweek is the best staple with occasional treats such as hornworms, mice ( f/t, no more then once a month), samurai food, silkworms, etc. if you don't want to deal with crickets or dubia just feed ngihtcrawlers and if he eats from tongs you can add that samurai stuff once in a while. haven't tried zoomed yet, haven't seen in in stores, but i guess you can try that too, as well once in a while.
    never feed mealworms/superworms, dry foods that you mentioned are not for pacs, it will be impacted in no time.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

dubbean

thanks for all the helpful replies. I will definitely stay with live bugs as Camo Frog's staple diet. I looked around a bit more and found a reptile store near my work that sells nightcrawlers. I got some today along with some more crickets (since I know he likes them). I will try feeding him the nightcrawlers tomorrow since he has already eaten today.

Is it nessicary to gut load nightcrawlers? If so, what do you feed them?

Nightcrawlers are good to go! No need to gut load.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Nightcrawlers are good to go! No need to gut load.
    I agree 1000000% with Danfrog. No need to feed them, clean them, gutload them, all you need is a mini fridge and they will last for sure at least a month....which should be more than enough for a hungry frog

Well I do rince my worms off then soak them for a minute in treated water (makes the worm wiggle and squirm). I then dry them with a paper towel then dust accordingly. Be aware that vitamin dust will make the worm turn all gooey. So try and minimized the time between the dusting process and feeding. For vitamin dust I take a pinch and spinkle it over the worm. Calcium d3 I just dip the worm in a little baggy to just get a small portion of the worm covered because calcium dust coats worms really thick. I cover about 10 to 15 percent of the worm with any dust. Maybe a lll ittle less with vitamin dust. Make sure you get nightcralwers and not redworms. Redworms secrete a nasty tasting slime as a defence mechanism and look like smaller nightcrawlers. Poor Mojo got slimed once. He kept wiping his mouth in disgust. Always inspect your worms for bumps and any impurities. You can also cut your worm from the buttand feed from that end, the head portion will just heal up.

Some frogs will only take from certain ends of the worm. I don't know why. My Mojo will not accept any cut worms, He likes big prey I'm thinking.

dubbean

Thanks so much Camo Frog ate 2 medium night crawlers today. What a hog. He did have trouble getting the last part of the second one down. At first he acted not interested but I kept holding the first one it in front of him until he decided to try it. The second worm he went for even before I had it in front of him (I dusted this one with a little calcium). Your advise has been most helpful. Me and Camo Frog really appreciate it.

More than welcome!

Thread Information