Thread: Lighting?

Default Lighting?

Hey everyone!

So, I'm starting to get my head around the whole "looking after seven froglets at a time" thing. One thing that's been on my mind for a while though is lighting. I feel like my froglets need it because their terrarium is fairly dim and cold (but not freezing) and I'd like to brighten and warm it up a little.

I have five 1 1/2 cm long Green and Golden Bell Frogs (Litoria aurea) in an Exo-Terra mini (I know that's crowded, they were a rescue... once quarantines over I can split them between two 10 gallons). Humidity during the day stands around 75-80%, and temperature is about 18C. They have plenty of fake leafy plants, and live on a paper towel substrate.

I guess what I'd like to know is what the best/ ideal form of lighting for them would be. I've been on the Exo-Terra website, and I downloaded their lighting guide, but it's just got me all confused :S

How much heat output? Light output? UVB? UVA? Fluorescent? Incandescent? Infrared? etc etc...

Thanks

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lighting?

I've read these frogs like to bask, so would give them a 2.0 UVB bulb 12 hours a day. Those are usually available as compact fluorescents that screw into a regular bulb socket. If more heat than it makes is desired or night heat is needed can supplement that with a red bulb or a ceramic heat emitter. Normally I use the Flukers Dome with built in dimmer to adjust the bulb output but you can also use a manual rheostat or an auto thermostat for that too. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Sorry I took so long to get back to you! Thank you so much for the response, Carlos

Very concise and succinct! Until I get around to sorting out the lighting, now that I know what to do, I'm just using a regular desk lamp for heat... It was quite funny, the first day I turned it on, all the little froggies swarmed up the tank and started sunbathing the lamp doesn't provide any UVB or anything but at least it's maintaining the temperature of the tank at a nice 24C.

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

Eric and Stitch

My experience is with red eyes who don't really bask for heat, they just need ambient temps a little above room temp depending on the season. So I was going to suggest one of those heat pads that you stick to the out side of the tank. But if your frogs like basking, infrared is the way to go.

Thread Information