Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: curly hair help

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: curly hair help

thank you so much guys for all your help, i can say i sure know more now. but the more you know the more qs you have, so..... until now i didn't even know they eat mice in general i don't know what i was thinking but spiders that i saw outside all eat insects, but i guess with big tarantula especially if one named bird eater, would eat that. why are they called bird eaters, are they up to eat a bird?
    for a baby i'll have small crickets, i get 2weeks ones for my baby geckos, so that stuff is always around.

a qs regarding mine. you are saying he is happy when he barricaded himself in his burrow. mine are out during a day, sitting on a cork on a ground and then goes back into his burrow at night. what does that mean? hungry? happy? just sitting minding his own business looking around? he was housed in his current tank 2 days ago and didn't dig much yet, may be s/he likes the burrow it has have a pic, will post as soon as i get to a normal device.
    is there any explanation to this behavior? curious

oh and when and how to sex them? is it something i can do myself?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Yes, you can sex them yourselves, it can be done two ways, by looking at the pedipalps when the tarantula is mature (the front legs of the male grow little hooks that are used for mating on the inner side of the legs) and for the second one, I'l give you a link Sexing Guide
    Well, mine stays in his burrow all day but sometimes wanders around, note the barricading inside the burrow for my tarantula points to molting, he only barricades himself so predators can't get him while he's weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    thank you so much guys for all your help, i can say i sure know more now. but the more you know the more qs you have, so..... until now i didn't even know they eat mice in general i don't know what i was thinking but spiders that i saw outside all eat insects, but i guess with big tarantula especially if one named bird eater, would eat that. why are they called bird eaters, are they up to eat a bird?
    It is thought that the name "bird-eater" originated from eyewitness accounts from naturalists observing arboreal tarantulas (yup, they come in arboreal types too!) eating birds in the wild. In particular, the works of Maria Sybilla Merian in 1705 with illustrations of tarantulas eating birds, made a huge impact as a spider being able to catch and eat a bird was unheard of.
    So, while they do take birds down in the wild, it will almost certainly be arboreal tarantulas, and will probably make up a very small part of it's diet.

a qs regarding mine. you are saying he is happy when he barricaded himself in his burrow. mine are out during a day, sitting on a cork on a ground and then goes back into his burrow at night. what does that mean? hungry? happy? just sitting minding his own business looking around? he was housed in his current tank 2 days ago and didn't dig much yet, may be s/he likes the burrow it has have a pic, will post as soon as i get to a normal device.
    is there any explanation to this behavior? curious
    That's just a tarantula being a tarantula. From the sounds of it, it just seems like it's treating the hide as a burrow; Most of mine will come to the entrance and "wait for prey to walk by". It must also like what you've done with the place, a recently rehoused tarantula would typically be crawling around everywhere, or hanging from the glass for a week or so.
    Most of the behavior you will see will seem odd at first, but you'll get used to it. Would love to see pics

oh and when and how to sex them? is it something i can do myself?
    Pretty much what Hypnotic said
    If don't have a shed handy, you can also sex it by looking at the ventral side of the abdomen. This method is a bit tricky and requires lots of practice to get it down, and even then one can still get it wrong, especially with some of the trickier species. It also works best on older tarantulas, so it will be difficult, if not impossible to reliably sex a sling this way. Just in case, here's a link: How to Determine the Sex of Your Tarantula: Rick C West - Birdspiders.com

Nationality
    [Canada]

anyhow i don't think i will try to take it out anytime soon to check on sex, male or female not a big difference at this point, as long as it is happy, but i bet at its size it would be possible to determine that, i think I'll wait for the shed to try to do that, dead skin can't stress out that bold spot should be gone after shed, right?

presenting Jamie sitting on its favorite spot on a cork, i saw him yesterday walking around late at night, sitting on a water dish, then back to burrow, this am he is on the same spot on a cork again , how old it can be?
    Name:  tarantula 003.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  110.2 KBName:  tarantula 004.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  120.4 KB
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hypnotic

It looks like a good size to sex, but we'll need to see a picture of the front legs and even with the pedipalps missing ,the only 100% sure way is to check through the molt. Note, that bald spot you were referring too is caused by stress, something or someone is stressing your tarantula, mine had that bald spot after I accidently thought a dubia was eaten, but it was still in there.
    So find the source of stress and emediately remove it.
    When you went near him, was he flicking hairs at you? did you see his backleg rubbing his hind body?

Nationality
    [Canada]

see the beginning of the thread my daughter used to lift up the cork he has burrow under every day to check on him and spray his tank and him included every day too. now the source of stress is removed and nobody even opens the cage, unless me here to take a pic or to feed. will do pic, any side of front legs in particular?

no i didn't see, but i wasn't really looking either

Hypnotic

Seems I mixed my names up, sorry. "Sexing adults is simple for adult males because most have the distinctive tibial spurs on
    the underside of the front legs". (pedipalps are the two smaller ones, and these are increased in size on males)
    If your spider has them, they should be easy to spot, they look like hooks on the spiders front walking legs.
    Name:  Malehook_9589.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  73.5 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

no, no hooks present, should i assume it is a female and wait for a shed to confirm?

Monza geckos

good advice jaquiline

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks Benny. How's Ember and when are you getting your Gargoyle Gecko?

Edit:Private message me. It seems a bit rude making someones Tarantula thread into a Gecko thread lol.

no, no hooks present, should i assume it is a female and wait for a shed to confirm?
    Not necessarily.
    If it doesn't have tibial hooks or bulbs, that only means it's not a mature male. It could still very well be an immature male as well as a female. If you happen to catch it up on the glass, take a close photo with the macro on of the ventral side of the abdomen, with a clear view of the area between the first pair of book lungs, like this. I know my way around a furrow and can probably tell you the sex .

As for how old it is, there is no way to know for sure. As I said in a previous post, growth rate varies greatly depending on how warm it was kept, how often it's been fed, and what sex it is. A tarantula at that size could be anywhere from a 2 - 15 years old!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Not necessarily.
    If it doesn't have tibial hooks or bulbs, that only means it's not a mature male. It could still very well be an immature male as well as a female. If you happen to catch it up on the glass, take a close photo with the macro on of the ventral side of the abdomen, with a clear view of the area between the first pair of book lungs, like this. I know my way around a furrow and can probably tell you the sex .

As for how old it is, there is no way to know for sure. As I said in a previous post, growth rate varies greatly depending on how warm it was kept, how often it's been fed, and what sex it is. A tarantula at that size could be anywhere from a 2 - 15 years old!
    will try, but s/he never on a glass, I'll wait for it to be bigger or just for a shed.
    to be honest i don;t care much male or female, i will never bred them anyway, but males live shorter so it would be nice to have a female. either way life span is counting starting maturity, is it right?

Default curly hair help

Most mature males will live about a year or so after maturing (Grammostola rosea males more often than not push three years!), but can take quite a while to get there. Slow growing Grammostola and Brachypelma can take 11+ years to mature in the wild, or if fed lightly in captivity.

15. This member thanks Glenn for this post:

nok1888

it escaped 2 days ago
    See this is why I refuse to let my wife get a tarantula lol

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky & Chance
    3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger & Crunchie
    1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina & Sedrick
    0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by nok1888 View Post
    See this is why I refuse to let my wife get a tarantula lol
    it happened only because of owners (us), we didn't think about possibility of escaping and i was actually pretty sure our cage should be ok, and when we found it, it was like 10 cm away from his cage. In the future i will always think on how to make sure the tank is 100% escape proof, just like i do with king snakes, especially babies, they're nightmare lol but tarantulas are awesome, i never knew they're so interesting to keep.

Nationality
    [Canada]

.... and i got mexican knee baby from tangled in webs there are 3 sheds in a deli cup it is in from tiny tiny to little bigger, it is a bit smaller then adult cricket now, when we got home he ate small cricket. was very cute to watch how their size is measured, like you mentioned before, from end of front leg to the end of rear one diagonally?

a q - the soil is very dirty, lots of leftovers of everything- food, sheds, parts of bigger spiders sheds and not sure what's else. I would like to change it and put a hide may be, small something that would fit in a deli cup, i have small flat pieces of cork i can use. so should i do it or leave as is? and if to leave as is for how long? if to change - how it should look like, how to transfer such a tiny and fragile thing? spoon?

Hypnotic

I usually tip the enclosure lightly and chase them out carefully into the new one, I clean mine once every 6 months, but note, I spot clean and use a mix of plantation soil and vermiculite.
    Sure you can put cork in there, just a heads up, spiders are ultimate destroyers. So far every tarantula I owned chewed pieces out of the cork, it's really funny to see.
    If he's that small you can even use your hand to move him, like I do with my little sling right now, just be warned, they can be FAST.
    I'l take a picture of my enclosure and post it in a minute or two, I'l also add a picture of my sling, since he's currently in hiding (suspect he has to shed).

Name:  582477_579961432039885_1967475328_n.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  54.6 KBName:  1239931_579961465373215_145674146_n.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  79.8 KBName:  524461_579961508706544_1798229357_n.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  109.5 KB
    And yeah, my windows get dirty instantly when misting, he's been in there for around a month or two.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh guys need help here.
    My baby red knee got shed for the 4th time and got a piece of old shed stuck to his top part of the belly, it is thorax upper part that is stuck to it, can't take pic it is so fast, the moment I open the lid to take pic it disappears in his burrow.

What to do?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Try increasing humidity. It would help if I could see a pic. I need to see the exact problem and size of sling. How long has it been stuck on?

Nationality
    [Canada]

A week or a little bit longer, I thought it might fall off.
    humidity is fine, substrate is exo earth and it is not dry yet, it also has a water dish too.

No idea how to take pic, it is very very fast. Size.... Hm.... I'd say about 1,5" diagonally.

Going to try to do that picture..... May be try to get it out of its little tank

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information