Thread: Rosy, Brazilian Rainbow Boa baby

hwilson

Default Rosy, Brazilian Rainbow Boa baby

Here are pictures of my baby Brazilian Rainbow Boa. She's around 2 months old, 19 inches in length. She has unbroken crescents on both sides. Her dorsal chains link in a few places, the largest being 2 links long. She is very friendly and very active. When I try putting her back in her tank she clings to my hand and tries to climb back on me. She ate her first pinky on Sunday evening. At first she recoiled from it and sped to the other side of the tank. Basically I had to sit it in the open area and put her back in the center. She sat there for a minute or so nudging it with her nose then ate it. It was hilarious. Name:  picture025.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  60.9 KBName:  picture027.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  52.1 KBName:  picture026.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  43.7 KBName:  picture031 (2).jpg
Views: 244
Size:  52.1 KBName:  picture040.jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  41.7 KBName:  picture032.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  28.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beardo

Default Re: Rosy, Brazilian Rainbow Boa baby

Nice Rainbow!

Did you mean pinky rat? Pinky mice are *far* too small for a snake that size.....she should be eating hopper mice-sized prey items to optimize growth.

maxQ

I am not a snake guy but she is gorgeous, beautiful face.

hwilson

They are pinky mice, about quarter size.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very colorful snake !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Beardo

I would definitely increase the size of her prey items. They need more than just pinky mice.

hwilson

What should I feed her then? Or am I able to feed her the other 2 pinky mice at the same time? Also, any tips on how to keep the humidity up? I can't seem to get it high enough...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by hwilson View Post
    What should I feed her then? Or am I able to feed her the other 2 pinky mice at the same time? Also, any tips on how to keep the humidity up? I can't seem to get it high enough...
    Try moving her up to a couple fuzzies or a hopper. Much more healthy then a pinky.

Beautiful snake by the way

Beardo

I would go with either rat pinks or hopper mice. The sooner you get her used to eating rats the better because shes gonna outgrow mice eventually.

What are you housing her in? I always used plastic enclosures such as modified rubbermaid/sterilite containers for my Rainbow Boas & never had any issues keeping the humidity up when you use a large water dish.

hwilson

I have her in a 20gal glass tank. I did just cut a hole in a plastic container and make it a hide hole. She stays in there a lot because it is warmer and more humid.

Beardo

Yeah, keeping humidity up in a glass tank is gonna be nearly impossible for a Rainbow Boa lol. I know they're not as pretty, but plastic enclosures work much better....if you want something more visually appealing, maybe check out Boaphile or Animal Plastic cages. They're expensive but worth the $.

Nationality
    [United States]

Simply cover the screen top with foil will help with humidity.

hwilson

To make it easy I plan on buying a large plastic storage container and drilling holes in it. It will keep the humidity and temperature constant and make Rosy happier. I'll get it completed this weekend hopefully. I have been trying wet towels on the top of the cage cover, and it hasn't really worked.... Any more tips would be great!! Thanks so much for everyone's help so far, you don't know how much I appreciate it!

15. This member thanks hwilson for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    Yeah, keeping humidity up in a glass tank is gonna be nearly impossible for a Rainbow Boa lol. I know they're not as pretty, but plastic enclosures work much better....if you want something more visually appealing, maybe check out Boaphile or Animal Plastic cages. They're expensive but worth the $.
    not really impossible i have mine ( 11 month old) in exo terra 36x18x18, top covered completely with hole for light, substrate exo earth with some moss mixed in + fogger plugged into hydrotherm and a big water dish, humidity is 85-90 at any given time, never had any problems with shedding or anything at all. I do spray and flood substrate as needed, not too often. i hate plastic cages for snakes, i need to see it all and there is nothing quite like BRB slithering around all rainbowy.. they are called the most beautiful snake on earth for a reason. love them! it would kill me to put that beauty in a plastic cage, but that is just me
    such a cute tiny baby you have, reminds me of mine not so long ago.

i cover the top exactly like i do for frogs - duck tape foil to the top screen, then cut a hole that is needed for light dome, and then ducktape edges. basically the whole top is completely covered.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Beardo

I should've said "nearly impossible for someone as lazy as me" LOL. Its definitely doable.....but I'd rather just cut out all the unecessary stuff and get to the point lol. Snakes don't like to be seen.....a happy snake is one that can't be seen from its enclosure. I've always kept my snakes in simple, easy to maintain setups and its worked for the better part of 20 years lol.....if I want to see them, I'll open their tub, take them out and handle them. Display-type enclosures unless its a species like Chondros are typically wasted resources with most snakes.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Of these lazy people lol but I just love display tanks, you can see it all and mostly foliage and decor and it takes a lot of space and it costs a lot lol all the right reasons
    you know men and women, someone has to like practical, someone else likes pretty, not practical and expensive lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

19. This member thanks Lija for this post:

hwilson

I got Rosy's new enclosure set up and settled her in finally! I am almost certain she is happier and more comfortable in it. In the tank I had her in she never left the plastic hide I set up and in this setup she moves around and sleeps in different places all the time. The humidity is over 90% now, it's so much easier in this tub! Name:  picture049.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  55.8 KBName:  picture051.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  80.0 KBName:  picture050.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  66.9 KB The temp is up as well. I had my stepdad drill air holes on each side. A circle on each end and 2 holes per long side. Rosy is in the middle pic between the log and thermometer, half hidden. (I pulled some moss off the top so she was visible). I used cypress mulch, sphagnum moss, a water dish, cut Tupperware container, 2 thermometers, a humidity meter thingy, half log, a silk plant and a plastic plant. All of the materials except the Tupperware hide and tub I got at Petco. They are my new favorite store. I also put clamps on each side to make sure she can't escape this one. Any comments or suggestions?

Thread Information