Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: curly hair help

Default Re: curly hair help

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    I was told forget about humidity and temps and they strive on neglect lol right Glenn? Lol
    Then the q- can humidity be too high? I can get one of those humidity gauges and stick a probe in this enclosure, I should have one of those, I have so much of everything laying around lol
    IME, it just happens sometimes, regardless of humidity. At that size, I'd start to just keep the bottle cap of water in there and let it dry out completely.
    It does look a bit too damp in there, but I don't think that has anything to do with the molt thing.
    thank you! it doesn't have hooks though, does it mean he will have it later on?
    Upon his maturing molt, yes he will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

well, i set up it up when i got the guy at the end of august, substrate as damp as for pacman frogs, wet, but not dripping, and i placed a bottle cup with water in there, i haven't refilled water or sprayed the enclosure yet. should i increase ventilation? or leave it as is?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Lija ! Well, if a week went by it's skin is hardened and pulling off anything that won't come off by itself is dangerous. If by any chance you damage the new skeleton; it could kill it. Molting is a process where some humidity is required. That is achieved by lightly spraying a corner of the enclosure (never spray the spider) in the case of babies and juvies and/or maintaining a water dish for adults (depends on species).

Right now, would leave it alone and be watchful for signs of next molt. When that happens (bald dark abdomen, refuses feeding or spins a molting area) you must ensure the enclosure is humid. With good luck the next molt will correct problem... or the T will probably perish then . If you plan to keep Ts and maintain interest in them strongly recommend this book. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

right..... as if i have not enough stuff going on.... Carlos you just keep my paranoia going lol gosh i just wish for at least one month without anything at all happening. part of pet ownership i know....

anyhow would you please advise me on humidity, because i really don't think it was low, it might be too much though.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    With good luck the next molt will correct problem... or the T will probably perish then .
    It's not that serious of a problem.

If it were stuck on the booklungs, or something then maybe (and even then, I wouldn't count the spider out!), but this is clearly just a case of some of the molt being stuck on the top of the abdomen.

You do not really need to increase humidity to facilitate molting; it's internal hydration that matters (which is mentioned in the TKG as well).
    And you should definitely dry things out if it's as moist as a pacman's substrate!

You can simply add more ventilation, or do a rehouse with some drier stuff if you aren't feeling too lazy

Nationality
    [Canada]

all right, so what humidity there should be? it was wet as for pacs in august, now it is kinda fine i think but i can drill more holes, no problems here, in fact I'm gonna do it right now. what is TKG, - that book Carlos mentioned, gonna get it today, i think i saw it in a library.

P.S. you guys are awesome!

Don't worry too much about humidity.
    As long as he has a full water dish, the sub can be relatively dry. At around that size they begin to develop the waxy outer layer on their exo that prevents excessive water loss, so they can be kept drier than slings.
    Yes the TKG is the book Carlos mentioned, and the author is the same guy who I'm sure I've linked you to earlier in this thread, maybe? I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look, hahah.
    Here's a relevant link from his site, just in case: SPIDERS, CALGARY: GROWING YOUR TARANTULA

Hypnotic

I make my slings terrarium moist, but not pacman moist. I allow it to dry out before moisting it again, I'd say I spray it once every week. They hate being sprayed by the way, really dislike it, it makes them panic.
    What you can also do is allow one half of the enclosure to dry out and the other half kept a bit moist, so if the spider has an issue, it can sort it itself. I only mist the top, I never mix the substrate around.
    The next shed should fix the back, shouldn't be a problem. Just listen to Carlos, don't touch it because it might have grown into the exo-skeleton.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'll tell ya! Went for crickets and they had a tarantula day at the store that I didn't know about, and the guy Stan Schultz, who wrote the book you guys said I should get, did presentation... 5 hours later lol...... I got home to get my baby tarantula and molt that I posted pics to show him. He said nothing serious and it happens sometimes them they molt in their burrows.
    So now I have a book with his autograph.... and I learned so much... And my daughter who is 8, got her answers answered ( a lot of them lol)... And we got to hold so many different tarantulas .... What an amazing day!

Tomorrow is gonna be book reading day yay!

Oh and I got a paper with recommended reading list and annotation that we should put as a sticky all over the forums. It says about pet stores: " don't believe ANYTHING they tell you unless you can confirm it with one of the books above. In fact, read the books and ignore the pet shop clerk entirely!" So true for all exotics!

Nationality
    [United States]

the guy Stan Schultz, who wrote the book you guys said I should get, did presentation...
    I'm super jealous, I've been working my way through TKG, soooo much great info in there

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll tell ya! Went for crickets and they had a tarantula day at the store that I didn't know about, and the guy Stan Schultz, who wrote the book you guys said I should get, did presentation... 5 hours later lol...... I got home to get my baby tarantula and molt that I posted pics to show him. He said nothing serious and it happens sometimes them they molt in their burrows.
    So now I have a book with his autograph.... and I learned so much... And my daughter who is 8, got her answers answered ( a lot of them lol)... And we got to hold so many different tarantulas .... What an amazing day!

Tomorrow is gonna be book reading day yay!

Oh and I got a paper with recommended reading list and annotation that we should put as a sticky all over the forums. It says about pet stores: " don't believe ANYTHING they tell you unless you can confirm it with one of the books above. In fact, read the books and ignore the pet shop clerk entirely!" So true for all exotics!
    Wow, what an awesome experience! Please do share with us the recommended book list Lija !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Absolutely, I'll scan or take pic of the whole thing and post it. there are links to internet resources as well and his personal website too.
    I'll tell you not every day you get a chance to talk to someone as knowledgeable and interesting as he is, he sure knows tarantulas, everything about them, even down to molecule level. Wow!

Default curly hair help

Told ya it's nothing to worry about

Am also a bit jealous you got to meet him.
    You should have told him to join frog forum

For those interested, I'm fairly sure his recommended reading list is this: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/referenc.html
    If you peruse the rest of his site, you'll find the internet sources too, as well as a wealth of info.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Dang forgot to take pic of that list, will look for it tomorrow.
    Hey question- both silly tarantulas completely barricaded themselves in their burrows. I can't see curly hair, but another one is visible on a bottom of his burrow through the plastic, his belly is round and he is very much alive. Why do they do that? What do they do when they wanna get out? Dig out the entrance or find another way?

I really need need to read that book but very much appreciate if you could clear these things for me

Default curly hair help

It's their version of a "do not disturb" sign. Rest assured that when they want to, they are more than capable to digging themselves out. It could simply be full, or hunkering down for a while, or it could be in premolt. The course of action is the same: leave it be and let it come out when it wants to.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Nothing to worry about, mine usually molt when they block themselves in their hides. They seem to grow out of that as well because mine stop doing that when they grow bigger.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information