Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: curly hair help

Hypnotic

Default Re: curly hair help

I've actually owned a female red knee, ended up selling her on to a breeder. From all the animals I've owned, that spider has got to be the most boring, foul mooded creature I've ever met. Everytime I even got close to the terrarium, I got a face full of hair.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

hm... interesting...
    is care is the same pretty much for everybody? or should i say as less care as possible lol ?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hypnotic

Yeah, it's pretty much the same for all tarantulas, there are always some exceptions though. But most caresheets I've read up on, say the same thing.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Lija you should look at both mexican red knee and fire legs. Both different but both have red on their legs. Instar is the period between two sheds not the actual shed.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

thank you! will sure do just got a new camera, will play tomorrow, hoping to take some pics of mine.
    how can you tell if your tarantula is hungry? how much do i need to feed mine? and what to feed babies and how often?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

You should feed them about once a week. Some tarantulas will eat often luke almost everyday but this is unhealthy for them. After your T moults you shouldn't feed it for at least a week. Many people say to wait a month but you dont. After about a week and a half to two weeks after its shed you should feed it a roach or whatever for three days in a row then go back to once a week. This is what I have found to work well. Dont worry if it doesn't eat for a while because they dont eat much. DONT FEED THEM MICE. If you do though only one a year.Despite what people argue there is more than enough evidence to prove the calcium causes shedding problems.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

That should say like not luke lol

Hypnotic

Regarding molting, I think I have the most awsome sling ever. Right now he has barricaded himself in his log, even filled up all the holes to it with the substrate so I know the little one is shedding.
    He also did this last time, I can simply check daily if he's out or not, and when he's out, he's ready to eat.

I'm personally against feeding mice to tarantulas, I've owned 4 in total and I've never ever fed even one of them a pinky. They don't need mice and when feeding live mice, there can be serious risk attached to it.
    Btw Truffs1178, I disagree with your calcium statement, the majority of a mouse's calcium is stored in it's skeleton, wich isn't eaten by the tarantula. However, there are valid arguments that prove mice contain wrong nutrients, proteins and fats.
    Tarantulas can thrive on a insect only diet, so I agree on the part where feeding mice is unnecesary and well, it creates a serious mess and leaves the stench of a corpse.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Its funny when they block themselves in their burrow isn't it. My red knee doesnt do it any more though. It is the calcium. Search it if you like. I dont know how they get the calcium but that's what the experts say.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Calcium isn't only stored in the bones of. Mammals. There is also calcium in blood, muscle and other tissues.

Hypnotic

Slings and adults can be fed on the same schedule; Once a week seems to be a popular choice. I feed most of mine every two weeks. As long as their abdomens are at least the same size as their carapace, they'll be fine.

There is no strong evidence for or against vertebrate prey other than it's a chore to clean up after, and it's not necessary for survival.
    I know of several keepers who feed FT mice regularly to their larger Ts with no issues, and one who has fed one of their Asian arboreal nothing but frogs.
    I feed my tarantulas with the same gut loaded, calcium rich feeders my big frog gets, and they're all doing fine.
    It's just another one of those myths.
    Here's a good read. Note that it's written by an "expert": MYTHS: MICE CALCIUM AND MOLTING

Edit: ...and Hypnotic beat me to it.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Well I guess you guys got me there

While the guy who wrote this may be a T expert he obviously isn't in the biology of mammals. He says that it cant be calcium because they dont digest bones but lime I said before in mammals there is alot of calcium in blood and muscles and other tissues.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Im not dissagreeing with the guy just he doesn't take into account calcium in anything but bones.

Hypnotic

Well, the calcium isn't really the issue. It seems we are all on the same page when it comes to feeding gutloaded insects over mice anyday.
    However, I do spoil my cranwelli girl once a month with a mouse. Whenever she sees the mouse, her feeding response is through the roof. Once she even leaped up to snag it from my hands.
    They are high in fat, but aslong as my girl looks nice and round, I don't see the harm in it.

Edit: Truffs1178, I actually know people who also feed tarantulas nothing else but mice, and had no molting problems ever. I think one of the big problems with this issue is that alot of tarantulas die from molts gone wrong, even ones that aren't fed mice. So I think it's easy to associate the two, but remember, there is no evidence supporting it.
    Eitherway, I would love to see a study be released with actual numbers from tarantulas fed only mice during a lifespan, with insect fed tarantulas on the other end.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I guess there is no deffinative proof of either sides of the story. My male bullfrog loves them too.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I was just going off what I have read. Sorry for s.tarting an arguement. I just didn't want to risk killing Lijas T. That's ehy I brought up the calcium thing

Hypnotic

We're not having an argument! We are agreeing on the same thing, but disagreeing on the reason.
    Anyway, it's not important, I think all of us made enough valid arguments so people can decide for themselves.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Im still a tarantula noob. I have only had red knee and chilean rose

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    ...what to feed babies...?
    Missed this bit

Easiest thing would be small crickets/feeders, usually the smallest you can get at a pet store is good for any typical sling (aside from the slings of dwarf Ts, which would need something much smaller).
    If you cannot get small feeders for whatever reason, the good (maybe) news is that slings will scavenge, so you can feed them parts from larger feeders like the jumping legs on crickets, or prekilll a larger one they otherwise could not take on their own, and leave it where they will happen upon it in their enclosure.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information