Thread: very sad! dying and 2 dead galacs so far

purpleturtle89

Default very sad! dying and 2 dead galacs so far

so my first darts where 3 very active fat orange galacs! i recently purchased a new vivarium for them to live in which was big enough for more. So i decided to get two more to add to the group as i seen 2 become available. I did initially quarantined them but the fruit flies where easily escaping this. With the pressure from work at the moment and my mum breathing down my neck about these FF problem i thought there from a reputable trader who ive had dealings with for a long time, and new they had been there for a while i thought they'll be fine (BIG MISTAKE) 2 weeks later i notice frogs are thin so i start feeding more this has made no difference im assuming worms and have some worming stuff coming two have already died one is close to being dead the other is stable and one more is still in the viv fat from all the extra feeding... VERY SAD A BIG LESSON TO LEARN. ive really let these little critters down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: very sad! dying and 2 dead galacs so far

Sorry about your frog losses . Many animals (including humans) can have pathogenic organisms and as long as immune system is working all is good and dandy. Stress the animal and the pathogens can easily take the upper hand. Not much to do but learn from lesson never to shortcut quarantine.

Would move all remaining frogs to quarantine set-up until figure out what is pathogen (opportunistic bacteria or a parasite come to mind), deal with it, and get all frogs healthy again. If any frog is weak and requires special help it should be by itself. Hopefully those that keep darts will offer additional help, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

purpleturtle89

Default Re: very sad! dying and 2 dead galacs so far

i am going to treat all frogs for bacterial and parasites as soon as the meds come! they sick ones have been quarantined and the one i think to bring in this illness was the first to go... so frustrated its unbelievable

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default very sad! dying and 2 dead galacs so far

Quote Originally Posted by purpleturtle89 View Post
    i am going to treat all frogs for bacterial and parasites as soon as the meds come! they sick ones have been quarantined and the one i think to bring in this illness was the first to go... so frustrated its unbelievable
    You can try a pedialyte soak just to provide some electrolytes since they are not eating. Use one part pedialyte to 10 parts spring water or dechlorinated water and allow them to sit in the water for about 15 minutes. Do it right in their hospital tank. Use their current water bowl since they are used to it. Then rinse it out and return to using regular spring water or dechlorinated water.

Any idea of which meds your vet is prescribing yet?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information