Thread: I guess it's about time I did this

pissedbudgie

Default I guess it's about time I did this

Well I hate introductions, but I guess it's only right that I do given how long I have been a lurker here and the wealth of information I gleaned from these pages.
    In fact it was one of the care guides from this site that helped me decide on one of the species that I intend to keep. At present I only keep one species of dart frog but I have plans for at least one other as soon as I can find a pair available in the UK. The species that I am currently keeping is Epipedobates anthonyi, I have 3 males and one female to give the female a choice of males and so that I generally have one male calling when the other or others are busy guarding eggs. I also chose to keep three males to one female as I understand although males are slightly territorial it is the females that will actually fight if I keep more than one. Lastly this species is best kept as a group and it seemed the only or best way to accomplish this.

My frogs are kept in a 60x45x45 Exo terra which I will post about in the appropriate area at a later date.

My frogs have produced froglets before now and I currently have one of my males guarding approx 15 eggs which were laid a few days ago now.
    I may put an advert in the for sale section for my remaining 6 froglets, but obviously I don't think it is right for me to make my first post an advert, It just doesn't feel right to me.

Anyway that's enough for now, I seem to have got away with saying nothing about me and keeping it all about this great resource and about my frogs

Before I forget, this was the fantastic care guide I refered to.

nirotorin

Default Re: I guess it's about time I did this

Nice intro. What's with the funny name? Seems like there must be a story to it.

pissedbudgie

Thanks, yes there is a funny story to it, well funny to me.
    I come from a family of animal lovers, in fact I can't remember a time when we didn't have animals of one kind or another arround.
    When I was a child of about 5 ish, maybe 40 or so years ago. My nan had a budgie with a bad leg. It didn't have a foot, but had the leg down to the ankle and the other leg was perfectly normal.
    When she saw it in the pet shop she felt sorry for it, and knowing that almost nobody would want it, she decided that she would.
    Anyway, every now and again it would just fall off it's perch and she would announce quite loudly that it was pissed again or say "that damn pissed budgie".

Well it's just one of those childhood memories that brings a smile to my face when I remember it. When I was trying to think of something to use on the forum, it just came to me ..... pissed budgie .... but I had to lose the space for it to be allowed on the forum.
    So there you go, kind of funny, kind of sad, but it's a childhood memory that makes me smile. And seems perfect to use on a forum.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Looking forward to see pics of the eggs and tads as they develop. Breeding frogs is always a special event , congrats !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

pissedbudgie

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the eggs or tads at the moment, my new camera is terrible at close up pictures.
    But I will see what I can do when I get a fresh batch of eggs.
    I have had thoughs of doing a timelapse video of the development a batch of eggs, maybe I will remove the next lot and give that a go.

pissedbudgie

I found my old camera and whild the battery lasted I managed to grab a couple of pictures:

Name:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  60.6 KB
    One of my male Epipedobates anthonyi calling.

Name:  IMG_1848.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  92.9 KB
    And one of the other males in between calls.

Sorry they are not great quality pics, but it's an old camera and I had to grab them quickly before the battery died, couldn't get the female or the other male guarding the eggs in time.

pissedbudgie

I managed to get another couple of pics.

Name:  IMG_1850.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  112.7 KB

Here is the female hiding away from the males attention, maybe she has a headache.

Name:  IMG_1852.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  87.3 KB

And here is the third male and the eggs he is guarding inside a 35mm film canister wrapped in black insulation tape as I didn't have a black canister at the time.

It seems in my case that they prefer to use film canisters rather than leaves, and black ones over the white/clear ones (I know this is a "clear" one, but it is wrapped in black tape). This is just in my experience and my frogs, I have no idea if it is in general though. Maybe mine prefer it to be darker where they lay them, I don't know with any certainty.

Thread Information