Thread: Help! My frogs will not eat!

jalden

Default Help! My frogs will not eat!

I found four tadpoles in a puddle and have been raising them. They've become frogs, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting them to eat. I've tried feeding them meal worms, ants, and fruit flies. I found the tadpoles at a relatives house and brought them home, so I do not have access to the same insects that they would have been eating where they were born (I don't know if that factors in).They will let the bugs crawl on top of them and show no interest in eating them. The two oldest frogs died after a couple weeks of not eating which I feel very said about. Their two younger siblings have just become frogs. They still have prominent tails but as of the last two days they prefer to be on land. I'm hoping for some advice on how to get them to eat.

The frogs were found in a puddle outside of Blackfoot, Idaho in the U.S. (it's a farming community in the desert). I've been trying to identify them on the internet and the closest match I can find is the Western Chorus frog. However, it isn't a perfect match and it could easily be a different species.

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help! My frogs will not eat!

Hello and welcome to FF Jaiden! Toadlets will usually start feeding after tail is absorbed. Can you post pics of them to try an identify them. How long are the toadlets from snout to vent (SVL)? Also, can you describe their enclosure, it's parameters (temp & humidity) and what kind of water are you using? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Hi Jaiden

Froglets won't eat until their tails are completely absorbed, and then for up to a week after that... they get all their nutrients from that big juicy tail..
    I'm sorry about the loss of two of your babies..
    When they do start eating, wingless fruit flies and pinhead crickets are the best food to offer them they will eat any food smaller than the space between their eyes. Mealworms are generally not the best feeder because they have a hard exoskeleton full of chitin which can cause impaction problems. They're also full fo fat and not very nutritious.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by jalden View Post
    I found four tadpoles in a puddle and have been raising them. They've become frogs, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting them to eat. I've tried feeding them meal worms, ants, and fruit flies. I found the tadpoles at a relatives house and brought them home, so I do not have access to the same insects that they would have been eating where they were born (I don't know if that factors in).They will let the bugs crawl on top of them and show no interest in eating them. The two oldest frogs died after a couple weeks of not eating which I feel very said about. Their two younger siblings have just become frogs. They still have prominent tails but as of the last two days they prefer to be on land. I'm hoping for some advice on how to get them to eat.

The frogs were found in a puddle outside of Blackfoot, Idaho in the U.S. (it's a farming community in the desert). I've been trying to identify them on the internet and the closest match I can find is the Western Chorus frog. However, it isn't a perfect match and it could easily be a different species.

Thanks,
    Jalden,
    Keep trying the fruit flies. Add a several each day but not so many they crawl all over the froglets- it stresses them out. This is a delicate time for them. You will want to get yourself an order of pinhead crickets. ( I believe this is the size to get as they grow quickly and you are better off with a smaller feeder rather than one that is too big. A cricket should be the size of the distance between the frogs eyes.

1/8'' Crickets (500 Count) - Crickets | Josh's Frogs

Their feeders need to be dusted with a supplement such as :
    Repashy Calcium Plus (4 oz) - Calcium Plus Supplements | Josh's Frogs

or these two products:

Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin (BLUE) - Rep-Cal Supplements | Josh's Frogs
    Rep-Cal Ultrafine Calcium with Vitamin D3 (PINK) - Rep-Cal Supplements | Josh's Frogs

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...et-helper.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF Jaiden! Toadlets will usually start feeding after tail is absorbed. Can you post pics of them to try an identify them. How long are the toadlets from snout to vent (SVL)? Also, can you describe their enclosure, it's parameters (temp & humidity) and what kind of water are you using? Thank you !
    Carlos has given you great information.That photo would be great
    Keep us posted!

Oh , Jalden -------Welcome to Frog Fourm !

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"