Thread: How long to wait before a honey bath?

NialR35

Default How long to wait before a honey bath?

Hey guys,

My ornate hasn't gone in about 9 days, how long should I wait before doing a bath? He/she is about almost 3inches and on a night crawler diet.

Also I never find "big poops" from my pyxie, could it be that they dissolve fast in the water because of the nightcrawler diet?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How long to wait before a honey bath?

I normally wait at least a week and ensure there is no buried poop in substrate. Unless a tiny baby, Pixies poop big and it's nasty in water, you would not miss it .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

My ornate hasn't gone in about 9 days, how long should I wait before doing a bath?
    do it today

Also I never find "big poops" from my pyxie, could it be that they dissolve fast in the water because of the nightcrawler diet?
    yes, same can be with your ornate. the water will stink though lol and you will see not just plan water with some soil but some stuff too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

Well I never find big poops from my pyxie. Ever. All I find at these really small clunks in the water.....too small for his size.

My ornate hasn't gone in a while...about 9 days today. Could giving larger night crawler pieces cause Impaction? Lately I've been giving him large pieces. Its just weird he hasn't done this yet and he used to do it every week. I know its not buried because I put him in his new tank Yesterday and I didn't find anything in the critter carrier.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Well I never find big poops from my pyxie. Ever. All I find at these really small clunks in the water.....too small for his size.

My ornate hasn't gone in a while...about 9 days today. Could giving larger night crawler pieces cause Impaction? Lately I've been giving him large pieces. Its just weird he hasn't done this yet and he used to do it every week. I know its not buried because I put him in his new tank Yesterday and I didn't find anything in the critter carrier.
    i never find ones in my pyxies tank too, she goes ina water and since diet is mostly nightcrawlers it gets out pretty soft and all you see if very very stinky water lol
    how your ornate looks like, any hard lumps anywhere? is it eating and feeling okay?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

Yea, he has been eating fine every night. Almost a whole fat canadian night crawler per day. I tong feed and he rarely eats substrate.

As far as the pyxie goes, not finding poops makes it hard to tell and keep track of impactions lol.

I don't have honey but will buy some tomorrow to do it if he doesn't go by tonight. I think he will be okay...maybe his new house delayed the poop... I'm scared of grabbing him lol, don't want to get bit.

Yet him still having a good appetite is still a good sign that he's not impacted ?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Yea, he has been eating fine every night. Almost a whole fat canadian night crawler per day. I tong feed and he rarely eats substrate.

As far as the pyxie goes, not finding poops makes it hard to tell and keep track of impactions lol.

I don't have honey but will buy some tomorrow to do it if he doesn't go by tonight. I think he will be okay...maybe his new house delayed the poop... I'm scared of grabbing him lol, don't want to get bit.
    You can dissolve a small amount of granulated white sugar in a pinch, but sometikes all they need is a luke warm bath and for you to massage the frog's right side gently in small circles rotating back towards the vent.

Nationality
    [Canada]

i must say i don't keep track of them pooping, i go with visual- how does frog look like, if bloated or i see something is off then figuring it out.

I'm scared of grabbing him lol, don't want to get bit.
    lol oh come on, you'll survive lol i believe there is ivory reptiles video on youtube on how to handle them, you might want to check it out.

Yet him still having a good appetite is still a good sign that he's not impacted ?
    yes, but not a 100% guarantee.

NialR35

Soooooo after a couple hours, I did a luke warm water bath without honey because I did not have any. I did this because he did look a little too fat and when I put some pressure with my index finger on his right side, it did seem harder than usual.

Most likely he was going to go soon but I did not want to risk it....love my baby too much even though he is lazy as HECK when it comes to feeding time. When I first put him in the water he went berserker and jumped around for a bit until he settled and half an hour later he ended up pooping. Everything was fine....until he BIT ME when I tried to do the massage Colleen/Jerrod recommended (I think he set me up right there ). I guess he was overwhelmed with his first honey bath and I can tell for SURE he did not like it. It wasn't as painful because he bit my nail and the bottom part of my thumb and then he was like "Oh shoot, this is the guy that feeds me so I better let go". I will probably won't do it again unless I REALLY have to....I just hope he notices his water bowl exists so he can use it himself.

Thanks though guys lol. Time to put some neosporin on.

ICEMAN

Upon reading this, I became slightly worried. My frog lunchbox still hasn't pooped and it's been four days. He is pounding crickets and worms like crazy. Lija mentioned to check and see if he looks bloated. How can you tell on such a fat little amphibian? When I soaked him last night for about 20 mins, he did seem puffy, but I think he was just being defensive. He is an aggressive feeder, has clear eyes, more active then I thought a PAC would be, yet still no poop. He wasn't sitting on any when I took him out of his cage, nor did he kick it behind him. What is the formula to the honey bath? And what are the benefits of adding honey? Thanks for any info!

NialR35

Four days really isn't a long time, mine didnt do it for 9 going to 10 days so that's why I did it because I know for sure he didn't leave anything behind.

What you can do it rinse/wet your fingers with treated water and feel the frog's right side with your finger. If you feel it hard or looks a lot bigger than his other side then there's the possibility of impaction in your baby.

Honey baths help with this because honey relaxes the colon, serving as a natural suppository that helps the frog with his bowel movement. You should fill a plastic container with lukewarm water up to the frog's chin level and add 2-3 drops of honey. That should do the job after 20-25 mins. After its done, do another bath without honey so the frog can stay clean.

If you really want a peace of mind as far as impactions, feed night crawlers as a staple diet yet still add other treats during the week like hornworms, waxworms, phoenix worms, and a pinky once a month when your frog in at least 3" SVL.

ICEMAN

Ok all of this is good info. I just soaked him for about 30 mins and still no poop. I am getting frustrated but I will try this honey method tomorrow. I just switched him over to Eco earth. The Eco earth will still pass thru his gut right? He has been eating a steady diet of night crawlers now. I'm afraid he may have eaten a bit of jungle mix or too many crickets. Ha, I worry a lot, this is my first amphibian and I know how sensitive they are compared to reptiles. If he doesn't go within the next couple of days I will start freaking out!!!

NialR35

Eco earth/ coco fiber is the best substrate you can use for captivity. Everything else is garbage in my opinion and only leads to more problems, some being fatal.

I usually do once a week on Saturdays. But Mojo totally suprised me the other day and went in his dish.

Oh and if Mojo needs to poops he will have a harder spot on his right side. Don't know if this is true for other frogs but as soon as Mojo goes the hard spot is gone.

Thread Information