Thread: Getting back into the hobby

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Getting back into the hobby

When I was a child I had a 10 gal and a 30 gal long that used primarily for raising oscars, cichlids, fancy goldfish, and even a stint with discus. Aside from the latter, which was a disaster, I bought them as small babies and the sold them back to the store when they got beyond too large for the 30 gal since my parents weren't too keen on my getting a much larger tank. Frustrated, I decided to try my hand at terrariums and amphibians. I started off with newts and fire bellies and loved them. Then I picked up some axolotls and raised them through morph. While picking up some supplies one day at the LPS I spotted my first pacman and knew one day I would have one. About that time I went off to college and entrusted my beloved pets to my parents to care for (bad idea). They understood aquariums and eventually had their own, but terrariums wasn't their thing and my salamanders didn't survive the learning curve. At that point I realized that I wouldn't be able to have another terrarium until my life was stable enough to be able to care for it myself.

Fast forward nearly 20 years later after college, military, my daughter and few few bettas. Now, here I am on FF getting ready to pick up my first pacman. I found FF on my first web search looking for more info to make sure I knew what's was getting into. I really wish I had this much access to info back when I was a kid. It surely would have helped me provide better care or react quicker and more appropriately to troubles in the tank. After poring over this site for a couple weeks I picked up my new terrarium and have begun tweaking my setup to understand what i need to do for temps/humidity. I should be picking up my new little friend after I get back from a family vacation in two weeks.

~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

nirotorin

Default Re: Getting back into the hobby

Welcome to the frog forum, and back to the hobby. I think your the second person this week that said they gave up the hobby after they left home and went into the military, but are now getting back into the hobby starting with horned frogs. Must be the camouflage pattern, and toughness, or something that attracts former military to them.

I think there should be a sticky somewhere about not leaving your oddish pets with parents when you move away from home. It's a common tragic story, and it happened to me too.

Make sure to post pics and such.

Thread Information