Thread: Green Tree frogs having trouble catching crickets?

rikkitiger

Question Green Tree frogs having trouble catching crickets?

I have been having this problem for a couple days now. I release my crickets into the green Tree frog terrarium and they watch them climb and move. And then eventually after watching them for a bit, they lunge or jump. Now on the first days i had my tree frogs, (I have only had them for ten days) So up until about the eighth day, when the Tree frogs would lunge they would come really near, maybe even have the cricket in their mouth, but they would drop it, or it would escape narrowly. And last night the biggest frog in my enclosure was having a hard time with a cricket. It tried stalking it twice, just couldnt really get it. So i figured they are nocturnal hunters and turned off the light and went to sleep. And now when I get up i look for crickets, trying to check if they got any.

should i be worried or doing anything else? I am a new frog owner and don't really have any experience and dont really know. I will answer the trouble in the enclosure though:

1. Size of enclosure 18x18x20

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences-5 hyla cinerea 3 of them about an 11/2", the two big females about 2" and 2 1/2"

3. Humidity- ranges from 55-70%

4. Temperature-80 degrees daytime, 65 degrees nighttime

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish- RO and conditioned water with calcimize:Exo Terra Calcimize - Supplements & Medications - Reptile - PetSmart

6. Materials used for substrate- Reptibark

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.- Flueker's bend a branch in two pieces diagonally across terrarium, one large fake silk plants

- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. They came in the mail, i put them straight where they are now

8. Main food source- crickets

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)-Vitamins in cricket diet, calcium in cricket diet and in their water

10. Lighting- UVB lamp for d3

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- Reptitherm under tank heater

12. When is the last time he/she ate- They have all been eating normally and catching crickets on their first try until two days ago then they have trouble but they still get them eventually

13. Have you found poop lately- yes. i clean up what i can find when i find it, and clean the whole enclosure and replace the substrate every month

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)Name:  frog enclosure 001.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  69.4 KB Name:  frog enclosure 003.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  97.7 KB Name:  frog enclosure 005.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  90.2 KB Name:  frog enclosure 006.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  63.7 KB Name:  frog enclosure 007.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  61.4 KB Name:  frog enclosure 008.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  68.8 KB

15. How old is the frog- the vet said that the small three males were babies, but the bigger two were probably young adults

16. How long have you owned him/her- ten days

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred- captive bred

18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- i so far only feed them crickets, until in a couple days i will get some small worms i think for treats.

19. How often the frog is handled- only when i had to take them out to take them to the vet, a week ago. And once when one was trying to make an escape and landed on my arm

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area- the enclosure is in my room, so it is medium traffic

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)- i change their water soaker pond everyday, and clean out their entire enclosure once a month i am planning

so there is my entire problem, i am just wondering if it is normal or if i should be worried, or what.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Green Tree frogs having trouble catching crickets?

are all the crickets smaller than the pupillary distance of the smallest frog? and yes they are noctrunal.

from the pictures they all seem to have a big belly so it could be that they are still digesting their last meal.
    Last edited by dmallia; August 3rd, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
    1.1.0 Hyla cinerea - and another 2 that died
    1.0.0 Ball Python
    0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa

rikkitiger

ok. This morning i did not find any crickets, so they might have caught them while i was sleeping.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Not sure what parameters they require; but will give you couple tips that could save you some headaches later. Cover 2 enclosure sides to reduce stress, aquarium background or paper you like will do. R/O (and distilled) water is bad when used for frogs bath; use treated tap or bottled spring water for that.

As noted by Dmallia; the cricket size should be same as the distance between the frog's eyes. Feed frogs at night (adjust quantity so all crickets should be eaten in 30 minutes) and dust 2X CA/D3 and 1X vitamins weekly on different days with skip day in between. Crickets should be gut loaded with veggies (carrots, lettuce, etc.) and oatmeal, or Repashy's Bug Burger. Feeding crickets in small glass bowl(s) will keep them there and make it easy to monitor who is eating and who is not. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

nirotorin

The crickets must be a bit to big was my first thought. Looks like they ate them though, so probably not. You should still probably try thst glass bowl technique. It seems pretty popular lately.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Some help with the crickets:

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...need-help.html

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”