Thread: i need froggy advice :c

iheartfrogs

Default i need froggy advice :c

I found this froggy on the highway being very unfroglike and for one reason or another brought her home. So far she has a name and a 10 gallon tank with peat moss, lights, and a little pool. First things first I don't know what is wrong with her eye and the only thing I can compare it too is water-borne parasites on contact lenses. (she maybe just hopped into a car or something?)

I've gathered a very basic knowledge of frog ke
    eping, nothing really specific to her species so I'll appreciate any advice. I'd like her to be in a big tank with lots of water some day and I hope I'll find interesting set-up ideas while I'm here c:

Name:  SDC14069.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  106.0 KBName:  SDC14169.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  75.1 KB

iheartfrogs

Default Re: i need froggy advice :c

12. Cloudy eyes or blood in the eye. Blood in the eye is certainly a cause for concern. He may have injured himself but often it is a sign of a generalized infection.

http://frogdaze.com/The_frog_doctor.html

cricketfrog30

it looks like its in the rainidae true frogs family.

4. This member thanks cricketfrog30 for this post:

iheartfrogs

Northern Green Frog found in Newfoundland.

iheartfrogs

It's been one week since I peeled her off the road.Name:  SDC14177b.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  61.9 KB
    Her eye is no longer bloody red, it's a cloudy blue-black.
    I switched her sphagnum moss for coco fiber today because I read that it would be more mold resistant, and snapped a picture of her exploring it.

I bought her a little pool bowl that she can get into and out of easy and I change the water every day. I hope she survives the change of environment. I read that most captured green frogs die?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I hope so too ! Fingers crossed.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Cloudy eye could be caused by bacteria due to eye injury. Does frog behavior shows it has issues seeing from that eye? Recommend get some Melafix (natural mild aquarium antibiotic) and mix a gallon with dechlorinated water according to label instructions. Then use that solution on frogs water bath and replace it daily for one week. Melafix solution should be stored in the dark until gone. Most Rana's do best with a 1/4 to 1/3 land section and the rest water. This care article is for another Rana; but the info also applies to yours: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886) . Good luck and thanks for helping the frog !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

9. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

iheartfrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF! Cloudy eye could be caused by bacteria due to eye injury. Does frog behavior shows it has issues seeing from that eye? Recommend get some Melafix (natural mild aquarium antibiotic) and mix a gallon with dechlorinated water according to label instructions. Then use that solution on frogs water bath and replace it daily for one week. Melafix solution should be stored in the dark until gone. Most Rana's do best with a 1/4 to 1/3 land section and the rest water. This care article is for another Rana; but the info also applies to yours: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886) . Good luck and thanks for helping the frog !
    Thank you very much for sharing i'm curious to know if you have any other froggy remedies?

Whenever she sees something move she scratches her eyes. I really hope there isn't a bug living in there.....

iheartfrogs

My rescue mission is fast becoming a science experiment. I bought Melafix and successfully force fed the frog one small meal worm since it's been a week and I don't believe she has eaten not for lack of food. More than anything now I am curious to know if I can keep a wild caught frog alive in captivity but this stems from the same feeling as the rescue itself, I don't want to see it die.

Hopefully that meal worm reminds her that she needs food to live because I've offered her everything the pet store has for froggys besides fishes.

How long can that one meal worm sustain her I wonder? I don't want to force feed her ever again.
    I suppose if they go into hibernation she could probably go a while without eating...

iheartfrogs

After learning how to force fed her and then doing it, I read about the damage it could do. I also read that if she is still losing her tail she won't be ready to eat bugs.

iheartfrogs

Frog, or froglet?

Name:  SDC14187.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  105.0 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm confused by comment about reabsorbing tail since don't see a tail nowhere in pics. Please answer these questions to try and get a better idea of your frog and enclosure, thanks .

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

iheartfrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    I'm confused by comment about reabsorbing tail since don't see a tail nowhere in pics. Please answer these questions to try and get a better idea of your frog and enclosure, thanks .

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure 10 gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 1
    3. Humidity unknown - humid feeling
    4. Temperature 23
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish tap with water conditioner
    6. Materials used for substrate coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. plastic vine leaves
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. hand washed with treated water and salt
    8. Main food source crickets, meal worms
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting fish tank light
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure glass pane covering most of the wire mesh lid
    12. When is the last time he/she ate yesterday
    13. Have you found poop lately none
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog unknown
    16. How long have you owned him/her one week
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred wild caught injured
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled scooted out of the bowl once daily for water changing
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area low traffic area sides covered
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) water changed once daily
    by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

The frog hasn't eaten since I found it a week ago I was wondering if possibly hasn't started eating bugs yet? This came to mind because I read something about froglets sustaining themselves with their tails. I will include a picture I was viewing online, the developmental stages of the green frog. Where it's legs meet it's bottom the frog still looks a little pointy (like the frog in the blue cup) and there's a little nub so I thought maybe it is young.

Name:  NAB1881.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  38.5 KB

Thread Information