Thread: Species Questions

Default Species Questions

Hi,
    I am not yet familiar with differences in species of Pacman Frogs. If someone can post the pictures, scientific names, and information about the main Pacman Frog species that would be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Namio

Default Re: Species Questions

All pacman frogs share the same genus, Ceratophrys. Family Lepidodactylidae and Subfamily Ceratpphryinae.

There are currently 8 recognized Ceratophrys species:

Ceratophrys aurita (Brazilian horned frog)
    Ceratophrys calcarata (Venezuelan horned frog)
    Ceratophrys cornuta (Surinam horned frog)
    Ceratophrys cranwelli (Cranwell's horned frog)
    Ceratophrys joazeirensis (Caatinga horned frog)
    Ceratophrys ornata (Argentine horned frog)
    Ceratophrys stolzmanni (Pacific horned frog)
    Ceratophrys testudo (Ecuadorian horned frog)

Hybrid horned frog: Fantasy frog (a cross between male C. cornuta and a female C. cranwelli)

By far the most established and readily available pacman species is Ceratophrys cranwelli (Cranwell's horned frog), due to relatively ease of breeding compare to other Ceratophrys species.

The second most frequently found pacman species is Ceratophrys ornata (ornate horned frog). Surprisingly (or not), C. ornata was the first commercially bred frog to be offered in the pet trade. Unsuccessful multi-generation breeding has caused this species to be higher priced and less common seen than C. cranwelli.

The third most popular horned frog is the fantasy pacman frog. A beautiful pacman frog that are sterile, and thus unable to breed. These frogs are highly variable in coloration, any where from orange to bright green. They have the looks of C. cornuta and yet are easily cared like a C. cranwelli (see paragraph below).

The fourth most popular, in my opinion, is a tie between C. cornuta (Surinam horned frog) and C. joazeirensis (Caatinga horned frog). C. cornuta is my personal favorite pacman species due to its sharp and striking appearance. Unfotunately, it is also a species that's quite difficult to acclimatize and sometimes refuse to feed in captivity. This is NOT a beginner's horned frog species. C. joazeirensis (Caatinga horned frog) is the most active of all horned frog species. Perhaps that is not saying much when these frogs are usually motionless statues. I have never owned one but several members on here have them.

Fifth most popular horned frog, which is not really popular due to high cost, is the C.aurita (Brazilian horned frog). C. aurita has been more prevalent in recent years. It is the largest horned frog species. Rumored to be able to grow larger than 8 inches SVL. A few members on here have them.

The other three horned frog species are rarely seen on the pet trade. Last year I did see an ad on either kingsnake or fauna classified that someone was selling C. stolzmanni (Pacific horned frog).

Pictures, geography, and the biology of these frogs can be easily googled. Keep in mind that some horned frog species are not well known at all due to the lack of study. All care and husbandry of these species are relatively similar (to C. cranwelli).

4. This member thanks Namio for this post:

Namio

I also skipped several less than ideal hybrid horned frogs, but there are funky crosses of these frogs. These miscellaneous crosses usually have high mortality rate during developmental period and/or yield frogs with health issues.

Kabikano

Awesome info Namio!

7. This member thanks Kabikano for this post:

Namio

Thanks, Kabikano! I sure hope other folks can chime in with some additional info that I missed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

C. calcarata was the first available and most popular when Horned Frogs were first Captured for the Pet Trade, but it was more of a trouble feeder than C. cornuta so the Surinams were captured and took the place of calcarata because of a better feeding response, but not much more of one. Then C. ornata was discovered and brought into the trade with it's very aggressive feeding response and thus replacing the former two and becoming the most available and popular until problems with breeding them arose and like Namio stated they were eventually too line bred and have a very small gene pool. Later as Namio stated cranwelli took the place of the ornata with it's very similar attributes and good feeding responce. They are also usually farely forgiving with their climate so long as it doesn't fluctuate too much.

Namio has most definitely covered the rest.

Pictures can be difficult. I have 4 of the 8 species so I could post those pics, but as for testudo well it is thought by some to be extinct or to actually be a subspecies of cornuta. Stolzmani are rare in the states like joazeirensis and aurita, but I have joaz and aurita. Namio has cornuta.

Good job Namio!!
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; July 30th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

10. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Namio

No, thank you Grif! For the detailed origin of horned frogs in pet trade!

Thread Information