Thread: Help !! Adf red skin and floating at surface

aaustin15

Default Help !! Adf red skin and floating at surface

Hi! I got my ADFs (2) about a month and a half ago from my LFS. all of the sudden the inside of their legs are red and one of them keeps hanging out at the surface. He goes to the bottom of the tank sometimes, but then he'll swim back up and just float there for a while. I do 20% weekly water changes. I read that it could be a bacterial or fungal infection... What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Ali

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help !! Adf red skin and floating at surface

Hi Ali and sorry did not see this before; how are your frogs doing? In order to better understand and help you, please answer these questions the best you can.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. How old is the frog?

16. How long have you owned him/her?

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)?

19. Any salt in water (how much)?

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)

Melafix is a natural bactericide that can be used with frogs but will wait for your answer before giving more advice. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Ali:
    One of the most common bacterial infections that affects aquatic frogs is "red-leg". It is a dangerous disease and nearly always fatal if not treated. Please get back to us as soon as possible with information requested by Carlos so we can help your frogs. Pictures would be helpful too.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

aaustin15

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?
    10 gallon filled all the way

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish? 2 dwarf frogs (the other one still is not showing the redness even though its been a month now) and a betta

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments? Just use amquel plus

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?
    78 degrees (can't remember the heater type)

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

I only tested pH and ammonia today because I couldn't find the instructions for the others ( I just found them a few minutes ago so I can test tomorrow) ammonia was 0 and ph was high-- around 7.5 or 8 )): I need to take out some crushed coral. I was having issues with it being too acidic

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]
    Zoomed 310 (I think, I've had it for a year). It's the very small one for turtles they say.

7. Substrate type?
    Sand and gravel

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?
    Driftwood (not sure the type) and live plants. I boiled the driftwood for three hours before putting it in. It's been running for a year, but I moved and I think all the beneficial bacteria died during the journey. So now it's been running continuously for four months.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed? Frozen blood worms every other day

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used? 12hrs on, 12 off. Don't remember what light it is.

12. When is the last time frog ate?
    Today

13. Have you found poop lately?
    I don't really know...

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).
    I'll upload tomorrow!

15. How old is the frog?
    No idea

16. How long have you owned him/her?
    Two or three months

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)? No.

19. Any salt in water (how much)?

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area? Low

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.). Right now I've been doing more frequent water changes than I was... About 20% every other day. I used to do weekly 20%. I clean the filter once or twice a week (not the biological media).

Honestly the frog has been acting pretty normal lately, aside from occasionally resting at the top. He still eats well and the other one is perfectly fine, no redness or chillin at the surface. I don't understand what it could be! Wouldnt he have died by now if it was red leg? And doesn't red leg look more like open red wounds?

Thanks for responding! (And sorry it took me so long to get back. I went to my parents house for a few weeks and they went along with me)

MitraC

I got my ADF's about a month ago and they both have a dark pink hue to the inside of their legs. One day one of them seemed to never want to leave the surface which is a symptom of red leg (she also has a very pink nose). My frogs have been acting energetic and eating fine just as yours are, so hopefully the redness is natural. I will update if this changes in the next couple of weeks.

Thread Information