Thread: Brand new with a bunch of little green Gray froglets!

kardamom

Default Brand new with a bunch of little green Gray froglets!

Hello!

We were invited to rescue some tadpoles a month ago from a pool cover for my son -- we have a crew of little froglets now that appear to be Cope's Gray tree frogs, and two mystery ones that were smaller, pinkish tadpoles. Not sure yet if they are pale Gray's or possibly a couple peepers mixed in? We should see in a few days. One has morphed to a tiny pinkish froglet that has taken on a hint of color a day out of the water, and the other is our last tadpole looking ready to sprout front legs any time but still pinkish with no spots on its tail.

The froglets ranging from a day old to almost two weeks are quite cute! And hungry! We have 6 in a 12x12x18 tall, the oldest 2 in a temporary pet keeper, and a few including the tiny pinkish froglet in a plastic tub with a mesh top (I'm afraid the biggest ones might consider it food). We're planning to set up an 18x18x18 for most, but we'll figure out the permanent housing arrangements when we figure out what the two little ones are.

One of our froglets has issues. I'll post a thread on the tree frog forum.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Brand new with a bunch of little green Gray froglets!

Hello and welcome to FF! If Gray Tree Frogs; this article will help setting up enclosure: Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

kardamom

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF! If Gray Tree Frogs; this article will help setting up enclosure: Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding . Good luck !
    Thanks and thanks for the link

kardamom

Update:

Our last tadpole has one front leg now, is working on the other, and is still mostly pinkish unlike the green most of the others got with their front legs. Not certain that the two pink ones are spring peepers, but they are tiny and coloring up differently, and the one pinkish froglet has been hiding since daybreak under a wisp of sphagnum so I can't get a good look at its back.

It looks like we'll have several froglets ready to release to the wooded lot where they came from this weekend. They are all looking vigorous except the one I rescued from near drowning, which I doubt can survive and I don't expect to release.

State law allows us to possess 25 tadpoles (which can be released to their collection spot after metamorphosis), but only 4 adults of a kind without a permit (not sure if that is per person or household).

My son is looking forward to releasing the unnamed froglets, but had named more than four of the Gray's before we found out about the 4 adults of a kind limit, plus the two that may be spring peepers. We have a few days to decide who gets to stay as pets.

nirotorin

Lol, gotta love those state laws. How ridiculous, 25 tadpoles, 4 adults, it sounds so arbitrary, and unnecessary.

Congrats on the little frogs though. Pretty cool!

Thread Information