Thread: Toad with protruding tailbone (?)

Soli

Default Toad with protruding tailbone (?)

So I caught this toadlet a few weeks ago, it is about quarter sized. it seems to have grown since I got it but something is concerning, it's tailbone seems to stick out a bit. I'm not sure if this is normal, or some sort of deficiency?

I feed it baby dubia roaches daily, dusted with calcium powder (with D3) twice a week.

Does it look healthy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nirotorin

Default Re: Toad with protruding tailbone (?)

Find out how much it can eat in one sitting. Maybe even though you're feeding it every day it's not enough. Toads can have a big appetite. You could also try some earth worms to fatten him up.

Soli

Quote Originally Posted by nirotorin View Post
    Find out how much it can eat in one sitting. Maybe even though you're feeding it every day it's not enough. Toads can have a big appetite. You could also try some earth worms to fatten him up.
    Yea, I give her as much as she can eat. Would earthworms be too big?

nirotorin

They shouldn't be, but you can always chop them in half.

Soli

Quote Originally Posted by nirotorin View Post
    They shouldn't be, but you can always chop them in half.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that, thanks!

I think the tailbone is normal, I went outside today and found a toad 3 times bigger with the exact same looking tailbone.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, toads always have that kind of pointed back side. If his eyes are clear, he's eating well, and will run away from your hand most of the time, he's a healthy toad. BTW way, if you do not know what kind of toad it is, then I'll take a shot at guessing. It looks like an American Toad, however it could be a Fowler's toad. But since there are only 1 or 2 bumps (Or warts, however, you can't get warts from a toad) in the black spots on it's body, it looks more like an American. I hope you have fun keeping him! American and Fowler's toads are great!
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Soli

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLynch View Post
    Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, toads always have that kind of pointed back side. If his eyes are clear, he's eating well, and will run away from your hand most of the time, he's a healthy toad. BTW way, if you do not know what kind of toad it is, then I'll take a shot at guessing. It looks like an American Toad, however it could be a Fowler's toad. But since there are only 1 or 2 bumps (Or warts, however, you can't get warts from a toad) in the black spots on it's body, it looks more like an American. I hope you have fun keeping him! American and Fowler's toads are great!
    Thanks! I have really grown attached to it

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't worry too much. I've had an African Common Toad for close to a year now who has a similar tailbone. She eats just fine...spends most of her days hiding and is relatively calm. It's just how she was designed!

Thread Information