Thread: Help!!!

pacman

Default Help!!!

I just got a red eye tree frog and i cant tell if he is eating should i put him in a 5 gallon over night to see if he eats. And my humidity is to low any tips?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help!!!

Well, the easiest way to tell if he is eating is put him in a smaller container that is sparsely furnished. I like to use a branch, wet paper towels, a water bowl, and maybe a pothos plant. That way you can count the number of crickets. Also, humidity is very important. In a regular cage use those hydroponic's clay balls as a base layer below substrate so you can have water down there, and spaghnum does a great job of keeping up humidity. You can cover some of the lid as well to keep evaporation down, but that leads to stagnant air, so I would try to avoid doing that if you can. Daily misting or a drip system would also help. Also, plants do a great job of keeping humidity up.

Best of Luck,
    Alex

Kurt

What I do with my red-eyes is I use paper towels as a substrate. That way I see droping very clearly and that is the best way to know if they are eating. But don't panic if you don't see any right away. Give it a few days to a week before letting panic set in. If using sphagnum it may be difficult to spot the poo.
    Red-eyes are extremely nocturnal frogs and chances are you will never see them eat. I have had mine for a few years now and in that time I have only seen them eat just once or twice.
    Remember to provide a water bowl. I mist mine down before I go to bed and that seems to be enough humidity.
    Is the frog captive bred or wild caught?

pacman

I see dropings I think and he is with a American green tree frog. I got Eco earth. I got him at a rep show $25 I supposed captive.

Kurt

Seperate him and treat for worms/protazoa. Even if he is captive bred, I bet money that the green treefrog is not, and wild caught frogs/amimals usually have a parasite load in their GI tracks. They may not be bothering the GTF that much, the red-eye, however, may be a different story.
    Also seperating them will help you to monitor their indivisual heath. Plus its not a good idea to mix ampibian species. This being one of the reasons.

Thread Information