Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with froglets

oneilsfrogs

Exclamation Help with froglets

So we now have 4 froglets out of water these guys are so darn cute but so incredibly tiny. What we are wondering is when they will start eating.
    Name:  DSC02381.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  65.0 KB This is the newest one so I know he won't need food yet cause he is still getting nutrition from his tail resorbing.
    Name:  DSC02385.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  45.3 KBName:  DSC02386.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  109.7 KBHere is the oldest one. He has been out of water for 4 days now. Its not a great picture but you can see that it looks like there is no tail left in the second one so should he be eating now? I have food in there but it doesn't look touched.

We are having so much fun watching them grow and hop around. We still plan on letting most of them go just don't know when would be a good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with froglets

They are adorable.

If you have not already tried, offer them pinhead crickets and/or the larger FF ( hydei)
    Producing Flightless Drosophila Hydei Fruit Fly Culture | Josh's Frogs
    You could also let some springtails loose onto the soil area.
    Jumbo 32 oz Temperate Springtail (Colombella) Culture - Springtails | Josh's Frogs

It's best to keep one thread going
    This way all of your hard work, questions, the tad's progress, and support replies can be monitored.

Just think.......... when you get through this; you will be able to help other members with similar questions and refer them to your 'tad thread'
    Enjoy ! Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

oneilsfrogs

I can't do the fruit flies cause of the tank that they are in. It has a "open top" it is all ventilated. Here is a picName:  DSC02390.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  76.8 KB I know that it is not big enough for them all but we plan to let some go eventually. Not sure when it is safe to do that though. I will try to keep using this thread it's just that I haven't been getting a whole lot of help. I get some answers but not all of them. I can't wait till I can help others. We are having such a great time learning and hope to help others.

oneilsfrogs

Ok make that 5 froglets out of water....man it's gonna get crowded in there... Look at this little guy who just jumped out and is breathing just fine. Name:  DSC02394.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  62.0 KB
    We really need to know how long we can keep them in this tank before we HAVE to get them a larger one and or let them go.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Hello there,

In order to accurately give you a good answer on how many we need to know the size of your tank. Is that a 5 or 10 gallon?
    If its a 5 gallon you can get 10 babies in there.. If its a 10 you can get 15-20. NO MORE!
    You can let them go immediately as soon as their tails are absorbed.
    Also I would HIGHLY recommend you get a tank that is suitable for fruit-flies. Im sorry you need to think of the needs of the frog first. They will not start eating until their tail is completely absorbed. They will eat fruit-flies for their first week or two. After that PINHEAD crickets for the next couple weeks.
    I would also put springtails in there as well. If you want to avoid the fruit fly route. But in all reality a variety is what those frogs needs as well as any other. Good luck =)

oneilsfrogs

I just looked it up Petco Pet Keeper for Reptiles, Amphibians and Insects at PETCO it looks like we have the 3rd one 14x8x9. I think that equals around 3 gallons

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by oneilsfrogs View Post
    ...it looks like we have the 3rd one 14x8x9. I think that equals around 3 gallons
    That is around 2.5 gal! How many tadpoles and froglets you have in there? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

oneilsfrogs

Right now there is one tad/froglet that is still in a shallow dish in there and there are 5 froglets that have climbed out. We still have 4 tadpoles that only have back legs but they are in a separate tank.

oneilsfrogs

We just lost another one to drowning. What am I doing wrong?

Nationality
    [United States]

I would keep the froglets on moist paper towels with the cap of a milk jug for a water dish. Change paper towels and rinse water dish daily. They are prone to drowning when first out of the water.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

Just looked through the rest of your post, you can probably skip the paper towels, that water dish is to deep for froglets use milk jug caps for now, you can use a couple and place them different spots around the tank for now, you don't want water deeper than their chin

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help with froglets

Make their water only deep enough to set their butts in once they have their legs.

Get a 10 gallon aquarium with a screen lid. Put a nylon or tightly-woven tulle over the lid.

Flightless fruit flies are the easiest way to provide them with food and the easiest way to put their supplements on them. The nylon will keep them from getting out. The 12x12x18 Exo terra tank's screen lid has a fine enough screen that the fruit flies can't get out.

The froglets will no longer eat pellets or fish food once they are out of the water. They will want insects.

You'll need to get some calcium with vitamin D3 powder and some amphibian/reptile multivitamin powder supplements. Lightly dust the insects with calcium/D3 2 days a week and use the multivitamin one day a week but not on the same day as the calcium.

Use a small baggie and put a little pinch of the supplement in. Tap a few insects in and gently shake to lightly coat the bugs. It should not be a thick coating. Then gently tip the baggie at and angle over their tank and the flies or tiny pinhead crickets will slide out. Be careful not to get the extra supplement powder all over in the tank.

You can also use springtails, but they're pretty small and depending on the size of the froglets you might need a lot to keep them full.

How big would you guess the froglets are from nose (snout) to butt (vent)? This will help us to determine which size of food will work for them.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

oneilsfrogs

Under an inch....max of 1 inch is the length

oneilsfrogs

Ok so no one in the area had FF so I got the smallest crickets they had. Fingers crossed that they eat them.

Nationality
    [United States]

I hope they do. Joshsfrogs sells the fruit flies online and ships them, just in case you might need some.

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/producing-...y-culture.html
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

oneilsfrogs

Well we still have all 5 froglets in there. So that is good. I did get a much shallower dish in there for water and even caught one of the little dudes cleaning himself off in it...so cute all we could see was his head..ok a little bit more than just his head but still....he was very happy. We don't really see many crickets walking around this morning....should have counted how many were walking last night maybe 7 to the 2 now. So either they are hiding or they have been consumed....hopefully not hiding.

So since I am hoping that they ate last night how often should they get crickets?

Nationality
    [United States]

Froglets will eat daily

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [United States]

Try the glass bowl feeding method. Use a 1 1/2" or taller glass bowl and put the crickets in. They will learn to feed from the bowl. This allows you to count how many you put in and how many are left. It also keeps crickets from running around biting at them.

Offer food daily because they grow quickest as youngins .

oneilsfrogs

So we now have 7 frogs and 1 tadpole. For the most part they all seem to be doing great. But today I noticed one looked injured. One of his rear legs around the toe area is pink and he walks kinda funny. I have no idea why or how this happened. I can try to get a picture later, but any ideas on what I should do?

Nationality
    [United States]

You can put a small dot of plain, original neosporin on the area daily, with a new Qtip each time. Only use the original type. The pain reliever type is toxic to them. Do you have a photo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information