Thread: What now? Please help me

oneilsfrogs

Exclamation What now? Please help me

Ok so I have posted here before and got some answers but I have lots more questions today. Before this morning we had 2 froglets out of the water, 2 in the water, and 7 still as tadpoles in a separate tank. Well this morning I found one of the out of water frogs belly up in the dish with the water frogs. Ok that doesn't sound right...these are all tree frogs 2 had climbed out of the water, 2 still had most of their tail but 4 legs and were still in water the rest only have back legs. Anyways we lost one. What happened.
    Was he thirsty and couldn't get back out?
    I am worried that we are going to lose another one or more. As of right now I have 5 tadpoles that are in a separate tank that only have back legs. As they get their front legs I move them to the other tank that has a dish of water for them...it's shallow...just enough for them to swim in. In that tank it is mostly substrate for the froglets that have climbed out. Lots of stuff to hide in and climb on. But along with losing one I can't tell if they are eating. I have food in there for them but it doesn't look touched.
    Could that be what the one was looking for?
    Do they need a light on at night?
    I can't feed them anything live yet cause they themselves are way too tiny for anything I can get....or what I can get would escape through the top of the tank.
    Name:  IMG_0984.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  48.6 KBHere is the tank...small I know but for now I hope big enough. Name:  IMG_0985.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  46.8 KBHere is one of the froglets in my left hand...see how tiny? So darn cute though...I just don't want to lose another one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: What now? Please help me

My guess is it drowned. Id move tge froglets into a separate tank from the tads on possibly very saturated paper towels

oneilsfrogs

They are in a separate tank from the tadpoles. As soon as they get their front legs I have been moving them to the other tank into shallower water and letting them climb out on their own.
    Do I need a light on over night in the tank?
    Would that have helped?
    I know that there is a moon outside so it's not always pitch black like it can get in the house. I just don't want to lose another one like that.

Cypress

From the picture you posted, it appears that your froglet has not completely resorbed its tail yet. Until they completely resorb their tails, that is where they'll get all of their nutrition. No need to feed until this has happened. Once the tail has fully resorbed, you can feed them flightless fruit flies. They are very tiny and easy to breed. You can pick up a culture at Petco for about ten dollars. They do tend to climb the walls, and can escape. If you use a VERY thin (allowing for ventilation) cotton cloth secured to the top of the terrarium, it will prevent escapees. (I tied a ballon, the kind for balloon animals, to form a large rubber band of sorts for this purpose.

As for the water dish, they really don't need it at this stage. Until they are about three to four times their initial morph size, they will do fine in a bare terrarium with paper towels as substrate. You don't want standing water, but do keep the paper towels wet at all times. Just after morphing, frogs are horrible swimmers. :-/

When feeding the fruit flies, you'll want to do it just before wetting the paper towels, not after. Damp towels won't hurt them, but they'll have problems if the towels are too wet.

I'm no expert, and actually have very little experience myself, but I have *some* experience (and spend way too much time reading care sheets). Hope this helps.

Thread Information