Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Viv Build - 36x36x18 Exo Terra for WTF

pettios

Default First Viv Build - 36x36x18 Exo Terra for WTF

First of all, hello FrogForum! I've been around for a few months, just stalking mostly, but after seeing all of your beautiful vivariums I decided I needed one. I've been reading through some of the other build posts so I'm pretty everything I've done so far has been correct. I have several intentions of this thread: to share pictures and stories as I finish everything up, to organize my thoughts and plans as I tackle the last few unknowns, and to provide an avenue for all of you veteran viv builders to tell me what you think.

First of all, for reference, I currently have one Whites Tree Frog (Thor) who resides in a ~33in wide by ~12in deep ~ 15in tall tank with a LECA/screen/sphagnum bottom, some branches, fake plants, and an externally mounted brown paper background.

Second, this is what I have done so far:
    Name:  IMG_20130726_091737.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  72.9 KBName:  IMG_20130726_091812.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  102.0 KB

My construction process so far is as follows:
    1) Took 1/2in thick white foam sheets, cut them to size, and adhered them to the glass with DAP 100% silicone. I left a gap along the bottom to allow for the bottom material.
    2) Using Great Stuff expanding foam, I coated the backs of the cork bark (from Josh's Frogs) and held them in place until the foam was cured enough to support them (Yes, I foamed it while it was upright).
    3) I used toothpicks to hold the 9 net cups(complete with drainage) in place and then I smothered them in foam. I don't know if anyone has a trick for this, but I ended up with some foam filled cups.
    4) I foamed the 5 manzanita branches in place. (This took some patience ).

My next steps (to be completed hopefully no later than Sunday, July 28th):
    5) Cut down the foam, clear out the overfilled net cups, and rough up any foam that still has some "skin".
    6) Cover the foam in titebond III and then push dried eco-earth into the glue.
    7) Clean out all the excess material, wipe down the glass, and prepare for the plants and substrate (depending on the curing state of the glue/eco earth)

Other things I'd like to do before the end of the weekend, not necessarily in this order: (For these next few things. My plan is to continue researching and scouring old forum posts until I find an answer, but if anyone has any suggestions or strong opinions I'd love to hear them.)
    1) Order some lights and fixtures
    - Probably also order a ceramic heat emitter plus fixture for the top so I can keep me current one as a spare or for a hospital setup)
    2) Figure out what types of plants to get (I will need at least 9 bromeliad type plants for the net cups, plus a few more larger or vine type plants to put in the substrate)
    3) Order some more branches to place loose in the tank once the substrate layer is installed
    4) Make a decision on what type of bottom I am going to do. I currently have a sheet of eggcrate cut to fit with plenty of pvc to create posts. Would it be better to just fill the bottom with LECA? Either way, I plan on doing a double layer of fiberglass screen, and then perhaps ABG? and then leaf litter? My current setup has a pretty bland looking substrate, its basically flat sphagnum moss. I want this one to be a bit more dynamic, hence the leaf litter and possible some frog size rocks or something on top of the substrate to make it interesting?

Also, I don't plan on adding any kind of automatic mister or anything like that. Since white's don't require extreme humidity I'll just stick with the spray bottle process I have going.

Hopefully I'll have more pictures to share by the end of the weekend!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: First Viv Build - 36x36x18 Exo Terra for WTF

looks great so far! tip for item 3, blow up balloon and stiff them into the pots. after the foam cures, just pop the balloon and remove it.

lights are going to be up to your budget. i prefer t5ho or led. but that's a personal preference. cfl's will work just as well, but will create more heat the other 2.

plants. broms don't need to be planted in pots, just attached to wherever you want them to grow. most broms for vivaria (neoregelia) are epiphytes, they get thier nutrients from the water you supply them, not from their roots. their roots are used to attach themselves to a surface. they are tons of vining plants you can use, from pothos and phildendrons to ivies to the radiphophoras and cissus species.

i normally decide on a base construction long before i build the background, that way i build in maintenance areas, such as a way to drain the excess water from the bottom of the tank, filtration and heating. (on false bottomed tanks, i use aquarium heaters to heat the tank)

another note, on the titebond covering. if you just coat the carved foam with glue and press in the fiber, you are going to be doing that a long time. once it is carved, great stuff becomes like a sponge. thicken it by making a slurry out of glue and fiber and paint it on. your life will be much easier doing it that way. here's a build i did that has a step by step on it http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...aludarium.html hope it helps
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

4. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cant wait to see your progress! :-)

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

pettios

So I've learned a few things between now and last Friday...

1) Eco Earth takes a lot longer to dry out than I thought it would.
    2) I have a ton of exposed area that I need to cover.
    3) Building a 30ft by 18ft deck on my house is a huge distraction from my vivarium project!

I didn't end up drying out enough Eco Earth the first time so I am only about ~40% covered. Now that the deck is done, I have all day tomorrow to get the background finished up. I promise I'll have more pictures by then.

pettios

So I currently have about 95% of the background covered. There are two spots, one on each sidewall, that were on the backside of the net cups that were too difficult to reach with the tank on its back. Tomorrow, after the eco-earth slurry has had time to sufficiently dry, I will put the tank in place on my homemade stand, do the last bit of eco earth, mount my light, and get the false bottom situated. It won't be too much longer that I have my substrate in place and my plants installed.
    Name:  covered hardscape.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  121.6 KB

just a hint. when doing a titebond slurry background, you don't need to dry the cocofiber out. it's just going to get wet when you make your slurry up you only need to dry it out when doing a silicone background really.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

9. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

maxQ

Wow looks terrific so far, i cant wait to see the finished product

Using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Greg,
    This is really great !
    Thor... is one lucky frog !
    A king's mansion for him !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Looking good so far! How is the house deck project going? Once helped building one and it was fun; please post pics of that too !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

pettios

Lisa, Gary, Lynn, Carlos,

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

Bill, both your direct assistance and your knowledge that is spread throughout this forum has been invaluable!

I've got several pictures of my progress to share. I've got two straight on pictures and one at an angle to show some of the depth of the background/integrated branches. The lighting is my newly acquired 36 in Finnex LED. The last two are at Carlos's request; pictures of the completed deck. Note: I'm not sure why the angle picture is sideways. On my local machine it opens in the correct orientation.

Name:  IMG_20130807_211928.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  96.8 KBName:  IMG_20130807_211937.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  141.9 KBName:  IMG_20130807_212004.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  97.9 KBName:  IMG_20130804_133253.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  131.8 KBName:  IMG_20130804_133240.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  124.4 KB

I have the false bottom in place (eggcrate on pvc risers) covered with a layer of fiberglass screen and then a layer of landscaping cloth/paper. I think that may be a little redundant, but I had the materials on hand. In the front right hand corner I have a pvc access pipe. I need a lid for it still. I'll pick that up tomorrow. I also have a shipment of stuff coming in from Joshs Frogs tomorrow. I bought some more manzanita, some cork tubes, a bunch of ABG, some leaves, springtails, and some plants. Also, I bought some "smoke" window tint from Lowes that I plan on applying to the exterior of the side glass to clean it up a bit. If you look carefully at the first two pictures, you can see a small dark strip on the left side of the tank. It is dark enough to cover up some visible issues in my initial silicone layer but still allows you to see through in the front half of the glass. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow of the sides before/after as well as the initial planting.

Thank you all for the technical guidance and inspiration. I hope you are enjoying the pictures!

*Edit* I have a friend who's pretty handy with a real camera. I'll get him to come over sometime soon for some quality pictures.

14. This member thanks pettios for this post:

Looks awesome!! Nice job!! That light throws just the perfect amount of light!! Did you decide on plants yet?
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

pettios

I did decide on plants. I ordered them earlier this week and I already have them planted. I may have gotten ahead of myself because being so close to the end was so exciting. I know you recommended pothos/philodendron/ivies/radiphophoras/cissus but I definitely didn't end up with many of those. I actually think I only have one philodendron planted in the tank (I have another one growing in a small pot separately). Everything I ordered was from Josh's Frogs because I was comfortable getting plants from a herp supply store like them. They didn't have any of the other varieties that you mentioned, or at least I couldn't find them. I think it was around Thursday when I discovered Black Jungle; they had a lot more of the variety like you mentioned. In the end, I just read through plant descriptions until I found a description (light/water requirements, growing style) that matched each place I had on the hardscape and then a several plants for the ground floor. My grand total was 20 plants, all different. Here's a list:

Columnea 'Early Bird' - Goldfish Plant
    Callisia repens 'Wandering Jew Bolivian'
    Peperomia glabella
    Pellonia 'Watermelon'
    Begonia 'Hatachoia'
    Columnea 'Bonfire' - Goldfish Plant
    Begonia 'Little Darling'
    Columnea 'Broget Stavanger'- Goldfish Plant
    Streptocarpella sp.
    Pilea microphylla 'Artillery'
    Platycerium bifurcatum - Staghorn Fern
    Phymatosorus diversifolius 'Kangaroo Fern'
    Nephrolepis obliterata 'Emerald Queen' - Australian Sword Fern
    Neoregelia 'Fireball'
    Catopsis morreniana
    Neoregelia 'Black Beauty' (Neo. ampullacea x Neo. ampullacea 'Tigrina')
    Cryptanthus 'Black Mystic'
    Selaginella viridissima 'Green Spikemoss'
    Philodendron ("moonlight" I think? I've had it for a while and I must not have had that purchase tied to my account)

I wanted a variety of plants so that I could see what they looked like. Until seeing some of the other naturalistic builds I was never very interested in plants so I know almost nothing about them. And now that I've rambled enough...

Just some notes on the picture:
    1) There is some green tree shag moss scattered about. I know it looks goofy. Not sure what to do about it.
    2) There is a water bowl in the bottom left corner. I just used that for reference for when I actually move Thor in. I figured I'd give the plants (and springtails!) some time to settle first.
    3) The other big empty space in the front is for where the cricket/food bowl will go. I just got a nice Pyrex one that the crickets can't escape.
    4) I think some plants (the top row) may easily outgrow their spot. We shall see.
    5) Since I got such a random assortment and skewed from Bill's suggestion I'm afraid I've got too many smaller structure/leaf plants that may not suit Thor. I think this will have to be trial and error for me. I'm hoping there are enough branches/climbing space to offset plants that may not necessarily support him. Hopefully they will grow in and provide visual cover/hiding spots. If I have to, I'll displace some of the less performing plants for some more sturdy species.
    6) I am fairly happy with the way the bottom half turned out. That section of the background has a fair amount of randomness and creates an interesting dynamic on the ground floor. The top section seems almost too open and symmetric, but it doesn't look too bad.

I do not claim to be a professional or even moderately knowledgeable in my vivarium construction/frog care capabilities. Since I became a frog caretake a few months ago I have learned a lot and I am learning new things all the time. I'm just trying to do my best to provide both a safe/secure/appropriate/healthy habitat for my frog while also creating something that is beautiful to look at. Having said that, here is a list of things that I learned during this build that may be helpful to future builders. This list is by no means exhaustive; its just what I've been thinking about as the tank progressed.

1) Planning is everything. Get this done for everything before construction. I could go on and on about this now, but basically, I'm happy with the portions that I spent time planning and I'm less satisfied with the sections that I didn't. This includes frog species/quantity/tank size/plants/theme/water feature/wiring/plumbing/lighting/heating/tank stand/timers/misters/access/maintenance.
    2) Be patient. Changing things later is a lot harder than doing it correctly the first time.
    3) If you are using large sections of cork (or any other piece of wood) find a configuration so that it all flows together so you don't have some pieces going left/right and others up/down.
    4) If doing the titebond III /eco earth texture, use a plastic disposable bowl and a plastic knife. Fill the bowl partially up with glue and then add the dirt until the desired consistency is reached. Personally, I felt that you wanted to add dirt until it the mixture just barely settles into the bowl when perturbed. Also, its much easier to plan on scraping excess glue off the glass than it is to try and tape of the glass like you would while painting your house.
    5) Drinking straws don't blend in well with brown background. Be mindful of their positioning.
    6) Substrate: I ordered 3 of the "8 quart/2 gallon ABG" mixes thinking it was overkill. I used it all and could probably use more.
    7) Leaves: I ordered two each of the 1 gallon live oak and magnolia. I used roughly half a gallon of each.
    8) If you want bromeliads or other epiphytes, it will probably be easier to build cracks/crevices for them during the construction phase than during the planting phase.
    9) It doesn't hurt to have easy access to spare branches/wood/logs in the event that the final outcome isn't quite what you expected.

Well, those are the biggest lessons learned I can think of right now. I'm sure there are plenty more that I just can't think of right now. I'm too busy planning the path forward! I'll definitely post more pictures once the plants grow in a bit and again once I move Thor over. Here's one last list of my todo list.

1) Stare at new plants.
    2) Eventually move current frog over and make sure he likes it
    3) Reorganize and better prepare my WTF hospital/quarantine tank(s)
    4) Find Thor some friends (probably 2 more WTF, but maybe just 1).
    5) Convert my current frog tank (1975 30 gallon wide) into an experimental build tank, probably a small paludarium with a waterfall/ultrasonic fogger/simple fish setup/carnivorous plant just for fun. This will be another learning experience, but definitely will be lots of planning/testing/experimenting.
    6) Do a small PDF/thumbnail setup (I really like R. imitator at the moment, but my the time I get to this who knows).

Thank you all for all the help!

looks awesome!! josh's has nice plants and you made excellent choices the only thing i would change is to relocate the staghorn to the background. they really love being grown as an epiphyte and really show their stuff when mounted and allowed to grow out.

you could make a moss slurry and paint it across the top and get quite a bit of color up there in a few weeks.

again it looks great! nice job!!
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

18. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

pettios

I think I will move the Staghorn tomorrow. The JF description described it as an epiphyte, but the toddler plant I received had a soil base like the other non-epiphytes so I put it on the ground. I think I have a decent spot for it. About half way up, a quarter of the way from the left hand side you can see a small clump of moss; I think it might look nice there.

About the moss slurry that you mentioned, is that just moss and water? Or moss and water and ABG?

And again, Bill, thank you for all your help and guidance!

The moss slurry is just moss and water in a blender. It just makes it easy to get nice coverage of it. It need me to be kept fairly most though.
    The reason most places sell staghorns potted is storage. It's easier to store them potted than hanging on the wall mounted.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

pettios

It's been a while since I've posted an update. It's been on my to do list but I've just been so busy! The main thing that bumped this update to the top of my priority list is the mysterious appearance of some red powder(mold?) on a dead leaf on the ground. I'm hoping someone is going to say that is a pile of springtail larvae but I doubt it. Anyone see anything like this before?

Name:  IMG_20130826_161858.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  149.4 KBName:  IMG_20130826_161851.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  118.6 KB

Well, it is not springtails larvae. My guess would be it is some type of fungus that came along as a hitchhiker on the leaf litter. It is probably harmless, but I would remove the leaf just the same, which I am sure you probably already did.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

pettios

Thanks. Its just nice to have some reassurance. You have no idea how happy I am that you did not respond with "OMG not the red mold of doom!!!" or something along those lines.

No problem my friend. How's the tank looking?
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

No problem my friend. How's the tank looking?
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri