Thread: Question on treating nematodes

Pyxiefan001

Default Question on treating nematodes

I sent off a fecal sample to my local vet (some of her BMs were coming out a bit runny around this time), and "Eleanor" was diagnosed with having a nematode. Vet sold me some Panacur. Tricked my frog into taking it by sprinkling it on some Samurai Pacman food. Was told to dose once that day, then again 14 days later. Did.

I was able to get a fresh sample (a well shaped one this time, too) a few days after the last dose. Still awaiting a call from the vet (maybe I'll call them tomorrow).

The whole time I was keeping Ellie in her regular enclosure with substrate and everything. I know many keepers place their frogs in "hospital tanks" and whatnot, but with nematodes (or such internal parasites), is such a measure needed? I didn't want to do it if I could help it because I know she would've hated living on paper towels for 2+ weeks. Didn't want to stress her without reason. But at the same time I wouldn't want her to keep catching the parasite I was trying eliminate because it was still living around her in the cage. . .or something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question on treating nematodes

well, that is no good. you gotta get back to the vet and explain that you kept her in her cage without placing in a hospital set up. and you are looking for a new full treatment cycle keeping her on paper towels. I'm surprised actually that your vet didn't explain these things to you, that is textbook abc.

nematodes are round worms that live in a digestive tract, fortunately most of them are species specific, so you can't get these from your frog, however their life cycle is such that they reproduce in there, lay eggs that are getting out with a poop and into substrate, even if you watch your frog 24/7 and take out poop and substrate around it the second it appears, these eggs will be accumulating in a substrate anyway and constantly infecting your frog. that is why it is so important to keep a frog on a papertowels and do FULL enclosure disinfection and change of substrate every single day.

his poop looks better since all( or most) adult forms are killed with panacur, second doze of meds is being used in case there is still something there or new worms grew up. it is very important to give second doze exactly in advised intervals so new worms won't have a chance to lay eggs and to repeat the cycle.

in your case it is possible that your sample will be back as negative if any new worms were not able to lay eggs yet, it is important to inform your vet about how exactly you kept him.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pyxiefan001

So if the results come back negative does that mean the problem's solved? Should I do yet another test even if it is negative after a period of time?

What about water? My frog always poops in her waster basin. Does the same rule apply as for eggs/worms getting in the substrate via bowl movements?

NialR35

How'd you frog get this? Were you keeping up with maintenance?

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    How'd you frog get this? Were you keeping up with maintenance?
    No idea. I've had this frog for around four years and have no other frogs at the moment, though the person I bought her from housed her with another Pyxie.

Maintenance: Water changed daily. Substrate changed monthly. All food store bought, or captive cultured.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post
    No idea. I've had this frog for around four years and have no other frogs at the moment, though the person I bought her from housed her with another Pyxie.

Maintenance: Water changed daily. Substrate changed monthly. All food store bought, or captive cultured.
    Either had them the entire time you've owned the frog or they were contracted by the frog eating a feeder that was a carrier. Crickets are natorious for carrying parasites.

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Either had them the entire time you've owned the frog or they were contracted by the frog eating a feeder that was a carrier. Crickets are natorious for carrying parasites.
    You know, I did feed her some crickets a while back. Bought 'em for one of my more picky tarantulas and gave the rest to her. Maybe she get them from those? There'll be no more crickets from now on.

Still waiting on the test results. If negative, I'll wait a couple of weeks and do another test. If that one comes back negative, too, can I assume the problem's gone? I may even do another test after that one just to be sure.

Nationality
    [Canada]

if i were you I'd do complete enclosure disinfection now and place a frog on papertowels for now, keep it like that for a 2 weeks ( 14 days) ( changing and disinfecting everything every day) and then give him one dose of panacur, this way new worms won't get a change to lay eggs and he won't get a chance to get reinfected again. don't wait more then that, because worms will start laying eggs and you're screwed ( or your frog for that matter), it makes sense to do test about 2-3 weeks after last treatment, but when not many worms are present or they are not mature enough to lay eggs yet the test may be back negative. they are testing for their eggs not actual worms and if your frogs poops only in water chances are there will be no eggs ( or not enough) in the sample to show positive results.
    believe me pinworms/roundworms can be a headache to get rid of.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    if i were you I'd do complete enclosure disinfection now and place a frog on papertowels for now, keep it like that for a 2 weeks ( 14 days) ( changing and disinfecting everything every day) and then give him one dose of panacur, this way new worms won't get a change to lay eggs and he won't get a chance to get reinfected again. don't wait more then that, because worms will start laying eggs and you're screwed ( or your frog for that matter), it makes sense to do test about 2-3 weeks after last treatment, but when not many worms are present or they are not mature enough to lay eggs yet the test may be back negative. they are testing for their eggs not actual worms and if your frogs poops only in water chances are there will be no eggs ( or not enough) in the sample to show positive results.
    believe me pinworms/roundworms can be a headache to get rid of.
    Thanks for the advice, Lija, as usual. But the vet called this morning and said the most recent sample I sent off after the last dose tested positive for eggs, as I feared would be the case. They are readying a new order of Panacur now. I will begin the new cycle of treatment once I get the meds, which is when I will place her in the hospital tank. I don't want to stress my frog no more than necessary. Though it was getting close to a substrate cage anyway. . .

And since I will need to disinfect the hospital box and any furnishings in it, can I use Quat Plus as a disinfectant? It's a (supposedly) herp friendly cleaning agent I bought ages ago from a company called Big Apple Herps. People who keep reptiles report good results, but this is amphibians we're talking here and I was wondering if I could use it during this upcoming treatment process?

Thread Information