Thread: Need HELP ASAP!

crimsonzele

Exclamation Need HELP ASAP!

My daughter has been wanting a red eyed tree frog for quite a while now and I have always wanted one. We just got one on tuesday shipped from FL to CT. I think I have the cage set up ok for temp use but the frog(whos the most beautiful thing I have ever seen) is deteriorating fast just the last 2 days. He looks skinny, dehydrated, he sleeps all the time, when you try and wake him up he doesnt open his eyes for minutes. I dont really bother him but tried to get him to eat and he hasnt eaten yet since Ive had him. I have crickets and dubias in all different sizes but nothing works. Can someone tell me am I going to lose him or is there something I can do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

crimsonzele

Default Re: Need HELP ASAP!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am working on making the cage more humid.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi,
    Sorry about this poor little guy
    This frog traveled in very hot weather and very well could be dehydrated.

Important ! Disturb it as little as possible. Do not handle him if at all possible.

Their skin is extremely delicate and even more delicate when they are dehydrated.
    It may not eat for a few days.
    They become extremely stressed during transport.

I would re-hydrate it with a 1:10 solution of plain unflavored Pedialyte and distilled water.
    (the kind from the supermarket used for babies the distilled water is there as well)
    That's one part pedi to 10 parts water.

It might be best to dribble/drop the solution on it's back for tonight so you do not have to handle him.
    His back only - not his head or face. Some water will trickle around to his belly ( where he needs it) helping him soak it in to re-hydrate.

You could do this with a new/cleaned eye dropper.
    Drip several drops onto his back 4 or 5 times tonight. Wetting him down with it.
    Then a few times again tomorrow.

If possible, do this without waking or touching him with the dropper or your hand! Let him rest. Let him sleep.
    He should be kept in a very quiet area. Cover three sides of the tank with dark fabric. ( ie a green / dark bath towel)
    Leave it covered for several days- exposing only the front to daylight.

Use very dampened paper towel ( w/ de-chlorinated water) for substrate on the bottom of the tank and provide a shallow soaking dish
    ( saucer type) with the same de-chlor water. If you do not have water de-chlorinater use 100% spring water for now. It is important, however, to get the de-chlor asap. Hopefully you are all set w/ small crickets, calcium powder and vitamins.

some photos and ideas: ( some not pertaining to your situation)
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

Vitamins / Calcium
    Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center
    Foods Line

You can mist the walls of the enclosure ( not the frog ) with distilled water to help keep the humidity up

The room he is in should be dark at night and lit during the day - creating a day/night cycle

Care sheet:
    Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas
    Do not exceed these temp and humidity recommendations.

Hope this helps.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

5. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

crimsonzele

FIRST OFF THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING! Im totally in love with this amazing animal already and I just want him to be ok. I have a couple questions below...
    I would re-hydrate it with a 1:10 solution of plain unflavored Pedialyte and distilled water.
    (the kind from the supermarket used for babies the distilled water is there as well)
    I dont have any pedialyte tonight. I have spring water and distilled, which one would be best to dribble on his back? I have been spraying the tank with the distilled but its void of minerals so spring would be better right?

Use very dampened paper towel ( w/ de-chlorinated water) for substrate on the bottom of the tank and provide a shallow soaking dish
    ( saucer type) with the same de-chlor water. If you do not have water de-chlorinater use 100% spring water for now. It is important, however, to get the de-chlor asap. Hopefully you are all set w/ small crickets, calcium powder and vitamins.
    He is in a 20 gallon high tank with a screen top. All of the screen top has tin foil covering it except where the heat lamp is...its a night bulb. I also have a heat pad on the bottom which helps with humidity but I think the tank needs more heat. The substrate is moss and its wet from me spraying it and from the zoo med habba mister I have spraying it. I have crickets(small) and multi vitamins and calcium with D.I added that to the water bowl as well because he wasnt eating. Is dechlorinated water different then spring and distilled or is it distilled?

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Anything at all helps.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need HELP ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonzele View Post
    FIRST OFF THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING! Im totally in love with this amazing animal already and I just want him to be ok. I have a couple questions below...
    I dont have any pedialyte tonight. I have spring water and distilled, which one would be best to dribble on his back? I have been spraying the tank with the distilled but its void of minerals so spring would be better right?

He is in a 20 gallon high tank with a screen top. All of the screen top has tin foil covering it except where the heat lamp is...its a night bulb. I also have a heat pad on the bottom which helps with humidity but I think the tank needs more heat. The substrate is moss and its wet from me spraying it and from the zoo med habba mister I have spraying it. I have crickets(small) and multi vitamins and calcium with D.I added that to the water bowl as well because he wasnt eating. Is dechlorinated water different then spring and distilled or is it distilled?

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Anything at all helps.
    Only use dechlorinated water or spring water for soaking water and for drizzling unless you do the pedialyte/distilled water mix. Yes, you are correct, distilled water has no electrolytes or minerals and soaking in it without the pedialyte will draw electrolytes out through the frogs skin.

Being you can't get out to get the pedialyte I would use the spring water. I would recommend you get it tonight or tomorrow though. As quick as you see him deteriorate is as quick as it could progress to worse.

Your tank humidity should be at 70-80% by misting at least 2x/day or with use if a mister or fogger. This is a must for them.

Temperatures should be between 78-80'F during the day with a couple degrees less at night. Also a must for their survival.

I would recommend removing the moss and using the paper towel flooring, especially until he starts to thrive. Moss has a high risk of impaction if accidentally ingested when catching prey. Paper towels are easy and clean, and you can see if they're passing feces.

Be sure your heat pad does not get the floor too hot that it can burn their feet. Moisture over heat can radiate the heat through easily. Check the heat of the floor. You may need to move it to a side wall. Be sure it's only on the outside of the glass.

As he starts to relax and rehydrate, hopefully he will become hungry.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

8. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

HEATHER COMES TO THE RESCUE!
    Thanks Heath ( I got up ,out of bet, to answer this post, was very tired,went back to bed)

crimsonzele,
    I hope things are better this AM

If you do not immediately have a heat source:
    Another idea for a little additional 'moist heat' for during the day:
    -fill a gallon container with really hot tap water and set it under the cover that you put over the enclosure.
    -not in the enclosure, but about 1/2 from the side or back wall on the outside
    -it will last for quite some time; at least until you get a heat pad.

*anywhere there is heat ....touch the glass with you wrist....to check and make sure it will not burn the frogs delicate skin*

Get a good hygrometer ( not the coil kind ) try to get one with a closed probe.
    Prepare yourself with more than one brand of thermometer.

I use these:
    Glass Fish Aquarium Floating thermometer,F & C readings
    Remove the suction cup and place it somewhere in the center of the enclosure.
    The only disadvantage of these...is they take time to adjust to temp, changes. But are VERY accurate.
    I have them everywhere- and they will not break the bank !

Keep us posted!
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

10. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need HELP ASAP!

[QUOTE=flybyferns;188856]HEATHER COMES TO THE RESCUE!
    Thanks Heath ( I got up ,out of bet, to answer this post, was very tired,went back to bed) [QUOTE]

Sure thing, Lynn! Any time .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

crimsonzele

Ever sin e I covered the tank and have been hydrating him and I was able to raise my humidity and temps a little he's been moving more than he was. He moved onto a leaf and slept there all day yesterday. I didn't stay up late enough to see him wake up last night but he was on the wall assuming his sleeping position this am. I was worried yesterday he died and was just stuck to the leaf and I wanted so bad to check but didn't and turns out he's still with us. I'm going to grab some of those thermometers and put them in a few different places as well. I will keep u guys updated. Thanks for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]

crimsonzele

Continue to drip the pedi soak water on;
    especially if he is on a leaf as it works better when they are on a leaf than on the glass.
    The water needs to get to their tummy.

( it a really good sign that he moved !!!!!! ) So you know , sometimes they sleep in the same exact spot for DAYS.
    Actually moving from it and going right back.

Remember- don't worry about the food.
    And RESIST touching or waking him .......... I's so hard

Find a clear glass bowl- with about a 3" side.
    Put his (SMALL) dusted crickets in the bowl. (they can't get out)
    Be generous with the # of crickets . Like 10.
    Make dinner easy Do not ration his food.
    The movement of the crickets might get his "hunt on", get his attention and get him to eat.
    Count them! Keep track of what you put in.
    Begin to prepare this bowl every night now.

Prepare it BEFORE "lights out ".

Remove it in the morning after he goes back to sleep
    -clean the bowl with hot tap water
    -put the crickets back in the cricket bin to feed.

repeat each night

Red eye tree frogs learn to eat from a bowl very quickly. It's a great way to keep track of what they are eating.

If you don't mind staining the glass --- you could spray the enclosure w/the pedi water just before you put his cricket bowl in.

That way if he shifts from one spot to another he will get the water on himself. Works like a charm.

Continue with dampened white paper towel substrate ( keep it flat ) , use de-chlor water.
    This will enable you to find poop ! of which, of course ,would be a good sign !
    His first poop should be a public announcement

This can be a very long process. As mentioned, the transport is extremely stressful on them
    When you get another. Get to a show rather than have one shipped. ie White Plains
    http://www.reptileexpo.com/
    A shipper should not ship a frog in the hot weather without a pack inside to keep the temp down?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If I don't ans right away -----please PM me

Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

14. 2 members thank flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need HELP ASAP!

I'm keeping an eye out also .

Lynn is giving you great advice and a way to save him. There is still a chance if you follow her instructions.

Nationality
    [United States]

Crimsonzele,

You are in the best possible hands with Lynn and Heather. Those 2 ladies are the best frog nurses I know. They've gripped me more times than I can count. Thank you Heather and Lynn for always coming to the rescue of all our fellow ff friends!

Best of luck to you and the little gem,
    Lisa

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

17. This member thanks tinkgirl77 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need HELP ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by tinkgirl77 View Post
    Crimsonzele,

You are in the best possible hands with Lynn and Heather. Those 2 ladies are the best frog nurses I know. They've gripped me more times than I can count. Thank you Heather and Lynn for always coming to the rescue of all our fellow ff friends!

Best of luck to you and the little gem,
    Lisa
    Thank you, Lisa .

crimsonzele

He looks great, nice green color back. Nice and plump again. He woke up while I was dripping water on his a little while ago but even though Im not supposed to wake him up its a good thing because it shows how much better he is. It took him so long to wake up the other day and even then his eyes wouldnt open for so long. I think it was a humidity/stress problem. I will post pics on my phone is I can.

crimsonzele

Default Need HELP ASAP!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374952309.605849.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  32.4 KB

crimsonzele

Default Need HELP ASAP!

This is him a little while ago.

crimsonzele

Default Need HELP ASAP!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374952459.734105.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  64.1 KB

This is the tank he's in.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need HELP ASAP!

I'd like to recommend that you cover the back and 2 sides of the tank. It will make him feel more secure and he'll want to explore once he has enough energy vs. hide.

Is he eating yet?

So pretty! They really are beautiful frogs .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonzele View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374952309.605849.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  32.4 KB
    He looks great ! You did a great job!

Yes ...it's too soon to leave him so exposed.
    He will feel more safe, secure and relaxed covered for , at least, a few more days .
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

crimsonzele

I did have the cage covered with a blanket, took it off when I changed the paper towels and took pic. I picked up a background today so its covered for good now. Hes looking skinny again and hasnt eaten yet. Im still drizzling the water and pedialyte on him.

crimsonzele

I put 6 small crickets and 4 extra small dubias in the bowl last night...no crickets missing but 2 dubias gone. They sit still so maybe easier to get but I thought these frogs liked fast moving prey? I guess the dubias could of crawled out too? IDK. Hes awake and happy looking so maybe he did eat.

Thread Information