Thread: Update on my Red-Eye

CaptainMorgantown

Default Update on my Red-Eye

Hi guys,

So my red eye Darwin still has not ate, and it's been over a week. Tonight, my roommate noticed that he had turned a teal color. I am taking him to the vet for sure on Monday, just to make sure everything it alright, and just to put my mind at ease also. I thought that I would put a picture on here to see if any of you could tell me what is wrong with him.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Update on my Red-Eye

Well, in the first picture he is blurry, so have the vet treat him for that. Just kidding.

Seriously, I can't tell anything from the pictures. He does look a little thin. What does he have for a substrate? How often is he misted? What kind top do you have on that tank of his? Has he ever eaten for you?

CaptainMorgantown

I have the coconut fiber as the main substrate...Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate at PETCO

Then I a thin layer of this moss on top of it...Zoo Med All Natural Terrarium New Zealand Sphagnum Moss at PETCO

I'm going to switch the kind of moss next time I clean out the cages. Anyway, I mist him at least three times a day. I have a wire top like this PETCO Heat Resistant Screen Top at PETCO

And I have actually seen him eat once. He ate as soon as as I brought him home; it was one large cricket. Since then, nothing.

Kurt

How long ago was that?

CaptainMorgantown

About two weeks.

Kurt

Now your 100% sure he has not eaten in that time period?

CaptainMorgantown

More like 75%. I have him in a cage with another frog, and he may have ate a couple of the crickets that I put in there. But the other one only eats one a day, and I made sure to feed him before I put the other crickets in the cage.

Amphibians

You should seperate them for now, incase something is the matter you dont want your other frog contracting something

Kurt

Separating them would also help you monitor whether it is eating on not.

CaptainMorgantown

Hey guys... my frog died today. When I came home, I noticed that his breathing was very slow, and he wasn't doing what I call "the frog thing" were you can see him breathing in his throat. I immediately started calling to animal hospitals in my area looking for one that would see a frog, and the first three turned me down, but I finally found one. When I got him there, it was just too late. The vet said that I probably bought him malnourished or with some kind of illness, and that red-eyes are very good at hiding it when they are sick. I did everything I could for him, I even bought him a emergency retile food aid today. i was getting ready to give it to him when I found him. It's been rough, I haven't lost a pet since I was a kid. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Paul Rust

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Kurt

Sorry about your loss. Don't take it to badly, as it has been discussed in other threads, amphibian medicine is till in its infancy and all we can do for the most part is make an educated shot in the dark when diagnosing and treating sick frogs.

Thread Information