Thread: Injured toad... got stepped on:(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Injured toad... got stepped on:(

For the past few weeks we've had an American Toad hopping around on our deck, where the bug zapper is and draws hundreds of moths and other insects. During the day he'd climb into the potted plants on the deck and burrow down into the soil.
    On July 19, 2013 the "deck" toad got stepped on thankfully I saw what was happening an pushed the "stepper" off of him, probably saved him from a horrible splattering the toad tried to hop off but seemed clumsy and kept falling over, so I set up a tank for him.
    I do have 4 other toads of the same species I raised from tadpoles, so I know how to care for him.
    It seems his injuries are limited to his right front leg. He's holding that leg up and when he does move he has his right back leg out farther than usually and both his left legs almost underneath him, most likely this helps him keep his balance so he doesn't need to put the right front leg down(see pic). Otherwise he's fine..he's eating and pooping normally.
    I am concerned with his right front leg and after 5 days there seems to be no change....what can I do to help him? Is there anything I can give him to promote healing, other than the regular cricket dusting vitamins and calcium? Or anything for pain? Or can I put something around the leg like clinge wrap or splint? I know this sounds ridiculous and not feasable or practical, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Injured toad... got stepped on:(

Only way to know if and how bad leg is broken it to take toad to veterinary for an x-ray. Without that and proper bone setting knowledge; splinting or restricting the leg could end up causing more problems. From what I've read, broken bones should heal. Dusting all it's food with good CA/D3 supplement will provide any extra CA needs during healing period. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Ill dust at every feeding for xtra cal. I'm hoping with some rest it'll heal. I set the tank up as simplyas i could, so he won't climb up on or fall off anything, and covered the sides, so it won't try to climb it, like my other male toads do....or did frequently. Thanks Carlos

kroberts009

poor guy! hope things get better for him soon!

Croak

I had a male American toad named Gremlin who lost the front of his left front foot (all but his thumb and pinkie finger) due to a squashing. He also broke his jaw, which took a long time to heal. I fed him slow-moving foods with extra calcium and kept his water very clean and sanitary until the injury was mostly healed. He was eventually released back into his natural habitat. I second the extra calcium, and I'd recommend slow-moving foods that he won't get too excited about stalking. If he isn't too keen on moving around, just be sure it isn't too warm or too cold in his area, which I'm sure you already know.

CLAIRE555

I'm really sorry about your toad 😩😩😫 The same thing happened to me. Except I accidentally stepped on the frog. It's back left leg is currently broken but it keeps trying to move around for some reason. I hope it gets better. I've developed an emotional attatchment to it.

Thread Information