Thread: Trouble feeders

lumpbump

Default Trouble feeders

So my collection is now up to 6 pacman frogs and I've now gotten my first trouble feeders which just also happen to be little babies. My question is when force feeding babies how often should it be done and do frogs that were force fed as babies tend to stay difficult to feed? All my others are tong fed and I'm just wondering if I should just let nature take its course and hope they develop strong feeding responses on their own or continue to force feed. Two of the three trouble feeders have attempted eating on their own but they end up missing a bunch then give up trying to eat. The third just wont even try. I've been force feeding them about every other night for the past week. They are growing and all appear healthy. They all have been pooping like normal. I help em by letting them soak in treated luke warm water. This is a recent pic of the little guy who doesn't even try eating.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Trouble feeders

How long have you had these yrouble feeders and what is the climate level in their enclosures as well as how the enclosure is setup. New frogs can take up to a week to adjust to their new environment. Force feeding is to be used as a last resort only.

lumpbump

Going on two weeks now. They are in 5 gal tubs with three sides covered, water dish, temps variable from 83 to 86 down to 78 ish at night. Humidity is 80 percent. They have a day night cycle of light in the room. Dunno what else to say. Basically all the same set up as my previous pacman that I posted about here over a year ago. Just dunno why these guys aren't acting like the rest.

Hypnotic

Have you tried tong feeding? Could help the missers out alot. Not sure how the average baby pacman responds to tongs though, mine doesn't seem to notice them at all.

Nationality
    [United States]

Try and maintain a consistent temp for a few days. 78° or 80°. Don't let the temp fluctuate during this period.

lumpbump

Glad to be able to inform you guys the little guys are eating on their own with a little help. I went out today to get some blocks of coco fiber to do tank maintenance and decided to buy some night crawlers. I cut off small pieces and rubbed them against the little guys faces with tongs and sure enough they opened up and in goes the worm pieces. One took two and the other one. They didn't eat for 11 days straight. Y'all think they will be stunted since they didn't eat for so long?

Hypnotic

I don't think 11 days will stunt them, it would take months of underfeeding.

Nationality
    [United States]

It is possible, but as long as they begin to eat regularly they should not become stunted.

Thread Information