Thread: American Toad Burrowing?

Klo915

Default American Toad Burrowing?

I got my baby American Toad yesterday and he's been burrowed in the same spot since last night at about 9:00 PM Central Time. I have researched a lot about them, I know they burrow, but is this normal for them to burrow for 16 hours?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demon amphibians

Default Re: American Toad Burrowing?

Yes. they may hide out for a few days. It is a new enviornment so naturally it will be a little shy. when i first got my cane toads they burrowed down and hid out for a week maybe a little longer. When you get a new toad or frog it will be stressed so giving it some quite time. It is best to do this until it gets used to its new home.

Welcome to FF btw.

4. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

Klo915

Should i lay off on trying to feed him?

demon amphibians

No you should still attempt to feed it. what are you using as a prey item?

7. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

Klo915

I was going to feed him a mealworm, I read that you should feed one small insect every two days.

demon amphibians

Meal worms I always preech against. They have poor nutritional value and they have a hard undigestible chitin that is hard for the toad to digest. May cause impacation. Not to mention they will burrow and your toad wont be able to find it. I would suggest starting with crickets of the proper size. But just put in a few because they can also pose a threat to your small toad in large numbers. I would use these for now because they will run around and attract your toads attention. My toads didnt eat for a few weeks after I got them. So expect the same. But it may eat right away you really never know. Also you could get a shallow feeding dish and put silk worms in it. It will prevent the silk worms from getting out and burrowing. They are also low risk and highly nutritious.

10. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

Klo915

Thank you so much, I'm going to go to the pet store and pick up some crickets right now.

Klo915

I just wanted to tell you that he is out now, and he ate a cricket. Thanks for your help again. He seems to be really happy right now

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've got several american toads and these guys always burrow and will stay there for long periods of time. They do this in the wild too, and if its cool they'll stay buried for an even longer period of time, even inside if its cool or stressed enough. I raised 4 from tadpoles and recently took an adult in that got stepped on and he burrowed for the first week, but ate like a champ. I dropped a few appropriate size crickets in his tank and he'd snatch them up as they passed his cubby hole. I find that toads love to eat...really, really love to eat, I'd just give your little fella some time to acclimate and he'll be eating like a sumo wrestler in training. Best of luck with your new baby; )

14. This member thanks Charlieamanda for this post:

Thread Information