Thread: Feeder snails, (Haplotrema minimum)

nirotorin

Default Feeder snails, (Haplotrema minimum)

Name:  603298_10201480820680462_1051101148_n.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  49.7 KBJust started a culture of these guys. I've been finding them in good numbers whenever I go out looking for leaf litter, isopods, rocks, or whatever. Figured since I find so many out in nature that they might reproduce well for me. Their shells are thin,easily crushed between fingers if you're not careful. Probably a decent source of calcium. They grow to be a little bit smaller than a dime. The info I've been able to find on them says that they feed mostly on vegetation, and also other snails ( apparently for the calcium in their shells). I always find them in groups, so I imagine cannibalism isn't much of an issue. I have them on a substrate of dirt, leaf litter, and rotting wood. Been feeding them thinly sliced cucumbers, and romaine lettuce. Planning on giving them some cuttle bone soon. I've got about two dozen of them now. Planning on gathering some more soon. I can't wait until they start reproducing.

Name:  47828_10201501593479769_1148794483_n.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  83.4 KBName:  1010841_10201501574359291_390723322_n.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  81.0 KBName:  969542_10201501533198262_398080292_n.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  91.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeder snails, (Haplotrema minimum)

Snails are a stage host and parasite vector for amphibians . Strongly recommend you don't feed them to your pets and ensure there is no possible contact through handling or maintenance equipment. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

nirotorin

Are you sure that applies to these snails? They are a species of small land snail. The information I read about snails giving frogs parasites referred to aquatic species.

Nationality
    [United States]

I wouldn't think that digesting snail shells on a continual basis would be healthy for a captive frog, also parasites.

demon amphibians

If you could culture them yourself they would make a perfect diet for your frogs. Yes wild caught snails do carry parasites like many other wild caught bugs. They have no problem digesting the shell and it is a very good source of calcium. snails have a nutritional value comparable to earth worms. The only problem i can see as far as snails goes are the parasites they may carry. What i would do is when laid remove the eggs from the parents bin and place them in a seperate bin of their own. This will reduce the risk of parasites, snails gain calcium from the plants they eat so of course keep using romain lettuce, and other green leaf plants.

7. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Wouldn't the digestibility of snails really also be dependent on the species of frog though?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    If you could culture them yourself they would make a perfect diet for your frogs. Yes wild caught snails do carry parasites like many other wild caught bugs. They have no problem digesting the shell and it is a very good source of calcium. snails have a nutritional value comparable to earth worms. The only problem i can see as far as snails goes are the parasites they may carry. What i would do is when laid remove the eggs from the parents bin and place them in a seperate bin of their own. This will reduce the risk of parasites, snails gain calcium from the plants they eat so of course keep using romain lettuce, and other green leaf plants.
    100% agree.

Snails are very easy to breed. The only downsside it the poop a LOT. So I highly suggest a bio-active setup for these guys.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Wouldn't the digestibility of snails really also be dependent on the species of frog though?
    The only reason the species of froh would matter is because some species of frogs are not strong enough to crack the shell or not big enough to eat the shell hole. Though you can just feed a smaller shell. Snail shells are mainly made of calcium carbonate which is digestible.

demon amphibians

well said poison! I could not have said it better myself. snails are a main diet for a few of the largest species of frogs in the world. If someone does have a good method of breeding snails large or small, please fill me in.

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    100% agree.

Snails are very easy to breed. The only downsside it the poop a LOT. So I highly suggest a bio-active setup for these guys.
    Easy breed Isopods with them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    Easy breed Isopods with them.
    The thing is, they poop all over the walls and and lid. Isopds can't climb up to it. I guess you can just whipe it down once it builds up.

nirotorin

The shell of this species is very thin. I imagine even something like a green tree frog could crack, or digest the shell. I'm keeping a few juvenile giant canyon isopods, and small millipedes with the snails to help clean. I'll be cleaning the snail container myself as well from time to time. However this species really doesn't seem to produce as much waste as some other snails.

Removing the eggs is a great idea. That way I can have a little more confidence in using them as feeders.

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    The thing is, they poop all over the walls and and lid. Isopds can't climb up to it. I guess you can just whipe it down once it builds up.
    I didnt think about that part. well guess it will be a messy job. But regardless i think it will be worth it. It is hard to come across feeders with as good nutrional value as snails.

nirotorin

Exactly, and the more variety the better they always say.

theblackfrog2013

Will they work with pdfs

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

nirotorin

If they're newly hatched possibly, but I wouldn't risk it.

theblackfrog2013

Any update on these snails ad feeders. Id like to try with my red bellies

0:0:3 citronella
    0:0:3 french guyana
    0:0:3 alanis
    1:0:1 patricia
    1:0:3 fire bellies

nirotorin

Yeah, they breed pretty well in captivity. However nothing really cares to eat them. They move too slowly to catch most species attention, and then they're also just hard enough to deter most herps. They might work with tribs, small caiman lizards, or tegus, but I'm not sure about much else.

theblackfrog2013

Thanks for the insight

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Randy

I recently purchased some feeder fish for my AFCs ,.seem along with them i got some snails( not by my choice but obviously some eggs were in there) . the AFCs got fatter lol and the snails are thriving .I use a canister filter and a under gravel which keeps my tank quite fresh and balanced along with regular water changes, and cleaning of the under gravel filter . My canister filter has a uv light .I also feed the frogs shrimp and some tubiflex as a treat .

Thread Information