Thread: Specifics on feeding?

Default Specifics on feeding?

Hello, I just got a giant african bullfrog a few months ago. This is my first frog!

I've been getting WAY too much conflicting advice on feeding, so can someone please explain it to me as simple as possible? Right now my frog is about 3 months old and eats about 8-10 crickets every night.
    So my questions are:
    -what should they eat and how much at each age mark or size? (I was told only crickets until it's a juvie)
    -What are they best staples for babies, juvies, and adults?
    -how much is under-feeding?
    -How do you know if you're over-feeding?

All the information is so over-whelming haha. So can someone please simplify it for me? thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Default Re: Specifics on feeding?

8-10 crickets is far too little. The person who told you only crickets as a juvie was definitely wrong, yet again.

We had a decent discussion in the feeder section of this forum on staple diets that may help you out. Feed it a variety, earthworms, roaches, (if available) hornworms, (goliath worms) silk worms, morio worms, (commonly known as superworms), isopods, crickets, and the occasional rodent (pinky or fuzzy) just to name the more readily available feeders.

Underfeeding is probably what you are offering it now, feed it until it does not want to eat. (in a reasonable time, 15 minutes is normally advised)

Overfeeding does not typically occur when feeding insects, it can be overfed rodents, so use them only on occasion.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    Hello, I just got a giant african bullfrog a few months ago. This is my first frog!

I've been getting WAY too much conflicting advice on feeding, so can someone please explain it to me as simple as possible? Right now my frog is about 3 months old and eats about 8-10 crickets every night.
    So my questions are:
    -what should they eat and how much at each age mark or size? (I was told only crickets until it's a juvie)
    -What are they best staples for babies, juvies, and adults?
    -how much is under-feeding?
    -How do you know if you're over-feeding?

All the information is so over-whelming haha. So can someone please simplify it for me? thanks!

SCF got you covered, you can browse through my posts and it should help you in everything because I do ask a lot of questions to learn

But to give you a quick solution:

1) The "15 minute all you can eat" rule is pretty standard. I would not only feed crickets because their nutritional value is a lot lower than any other insect you can feed. You can try to feed Canadian Nightcrawlers, Dubia Roaches, Crickets maybe for dusting days, and any of the other insects SCF mentioned as treats/variety depending on what you are able to get in your area. A rodent would be okay to feed once a month.

2) As far as "best staple diets" people normally use Night crawlers/B.Dubia roaches because of their availability. A good point someone mentioned in my other thread was that these frogs in their natural habitat are opportunists and will eat whatever comes close so it's really good for your frog to eat a variety of meals. Nevertheless, in captivity in my oppinion Night crawlers are best for staple because you don't have to gut-load them, they don't stink, they don't escape and all you have to do is put them in the fridge; but like I said it's always good for the benefit of your frog to feed a variety. You don't have to go crazy and feed every specie but if you can offer 3-4 different species you should be fine as long as you are also dusting.

3) Not using the 15 minute rule could be considered under feeding seeing as how sometimes the frog will remain hungry even after 15 mins of feeding.

4) You can tell by the feeding response of your frog. Sometimes my baby goes berserker during the first 10-12 mins but towards the 15 he's eating slower so that tells you he is almost full.

But don't worry, it might be a little overwhelming if you over think it, you will be fine.

Thank you very much. He is under 4 inches, so Dubias and nightcrawlers will be okay as long as its the size of the space inbetween his eyes? And is it better to feed at night or during the day? At what point do I stop feeding every day?

SCF

How old is it? I feed during the evening when they are generally more active. The frog will stop eating everyday on it's own as it matures.

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    How old is it? I feed during the evening when they are generally more active. The frog will stop eating everyday on it's own as it matures.
    My frog is about maybe 3 to 4 months old. I got him around 2 months ago.

SCF

Oh! It should be wayy bigger at that age, I had no idea.

SCF

I hope it's not stunted. The 8-10 crickets that the store told you to feed is ridiculous, this information might of stunted your frog if it is indeed a male (i'm questioning myself on the sex due to it's age/size). My newest baby at 2 weeks can easily eat 20-25 large crickets. It's a good thing you found this forum and became a member.

NialR35

Thank you very much. He is under 4 inches, so Dubias and nightcrawlers will be okay as long as its the size of the space inbetween his eyes? And is it better to feed at night or during the day? At what point do I stop feeding every day?
    Yea, feed at night. Try to lower his temps down to 78F and increase humidity prior to feeding. Size is the space between his eyes to reduce impaction. You could stop feeding every day when you frog is a sub adult...eventually you will notice that he won't be as excited to eat every day so it's time for a change. Post some pictures please so we can tell if your frog is eating well or if it's stunted. Are you dusting?

And for SURE you need to feed way more than those crickets. Try feeding something "heavier" and with a higher meat ratio like a night crawler/Dubias/locusts so you guy can get that filling done.If he is 4 months + and only eating crickets, it's like you were trying to eat M&Ms instead of a snickers bar.

Thank you so much for the help. I have him on only dubias right now, and i'm going out to get him earthworms and night crawlers. I feel like a terrible person! But at least I now know to feed him more. Is there any way to un-stunt his growth if he is? And if the earthworms/crawlers are too big should I cut them in half?

SCF

Thank you so much for the help. I have him on only dubias right now, and i'm going out to get him earthworms and night crawlers. I feel like a terrible person! But at least I now know to feed him more. Is there any way to un-stunt his growth if he is? And if the earthworms/crawlers are too big should I cut them in half?
    Do not feel bad, it's not your fault. The blame falls on the pet store employees for giving false information to you. I'm sure now that you are increasing it's food intake you will notice a faster growth rate. I don't know for sure if it's stunted, but it definitely should be bigger at it's age.

He just had a HUGE meal. He ate at least 20 dubias and a few crickets because he was still hungry. I fed him for 20 minutes (he's a bit of a slow eater). He's plump now Should I cut the night crawlers and earthworms if they're too big? And are waxworms or superworms okay to feed him as a treat? I always have wax and super worms on hand for my reptiles as treats.

And does someone have a picture of a 4 month old bullfrog I can compare mine to?

NialR35

Yea, you should cut them starting from the tail if they are too big. Make sure you start from the tail otherwise it will die unless you plan to feed the whole worm.

Hornworms are perfect for treats, but I would stay away from super worms because they have tendencies to cause impactions on these frog species due to the chitin.

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Yea, you should cut them starting from the tail if they are too big. Make sure you start from the tail otherwise it will die unless you plan to feed the whole worm.

Hornworms are perfect for treats, but I would stay away from super worms because they have tendencies to cause impactions on these frog species due to the chitin.
    I use superworms on occasion with no problems at all. I actually have never even seen a thread where superworms were attributed to impaction.

SCF

Here's a female of mine at 4 months. Don't ask my why I made the thread topic "4 month year old" lol.

http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...-year-old.html

Unfortunately, I never took pictures of my frogs before joining this site, so I only have limited pictures.

Thread Information